You are here

Why does Carmageddon TDR 2000 suck?

Pages

Razor's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Wed, 03/08/2011 - 11:38

There were some parts of TDR2000 that I quite enjoyed, the peds were one of them; not the models themselves, the models were a complete mess but the animations were nice, I liked how the peds would cling against walls to try and get away from you, i also liked their hopping animation. I didn't like the fact that they'd actually attack the car, that was irritating as hell, they did more damage than opponent racers.

For information about the progress of the PSX to Carma2 T/C visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com

Visit my retro gaming website @ www.retrogameshelf.com

matt's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 03/08/2011 - 18:10
TurboDonkey007's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 04/08/2011 - 21:11

have had a small go on it recently, i can see why most hated it.

Just wasnt carma.

Getting points and time from hitting cars and peds was a bit..............random, could full on smash a car and get nothing, tap another and get 45seconds, hmmmmmm

Also, hated being attacked by them, no fun taunting them.....and that they were made from rock

meh

Deadhart's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Thu, 04/08/2011 - 23:27

I had my fun with TDR. I hacked and cheated my way through the game to unlock Free Play, and then went without timer and dicked about trashing shit. That's what I always did in Carmageddon, so I was content with it. Mainly because it was the only Carmageddon the shitty PC I had at that time would run.

me-tm's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 23/08/2011 - 21:02

Hmm, TDR2000 just never captured the batshit insanity of Carmageddon. It felt very much dumbed down to me.
The pedestrians were just annoying for me too. It would take you forever to kill them, then you get 2 seconds of time, woohoo...

The sounds were all pretty shit too, most of the collisions just got annoying after a while.
Mine also had a weird bug where it would mix up the sounds. For example, if I fell in some water, instead of playing a splash sound effect it would play a creaking door sort of sound.

I still play C2 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on an AMD Athlon quad core with 4GB of RAM and a GTS250 1GB on a 22" widescreen monitor. Bit overkill, perhaps, but still fun! Especially with the sheer amount of user-made cars I have installed.

I came here for the carnage and stayed for the boobies (where are the boobies, damn it!)

matt's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 24/08/2011 - 23:54

Quote:
Why does TDR suck

Back to the original question, and I will sum it up neatly in two images that show how faulty the foundation the game was developed on was, and it all compounded from that point on-ward:
Exhibit A - Max Damage

Exhibit B - The Eagle Concept

I've gone great detail of my objections to these in other posts, so I've no desire to do it again. Hopefully a picture is worth a thousand trolls.

DiversantBivnev's picture
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 25/08/2011 - 08:24

MickiMatsu wrote:
was it really as low as only 4..?
No wonder the player feels rushed and barely enjoy themselves around the level...

I didn't mind the durability of the pedestrians, but the payoff was ridiculous, only 2-4 seconds...

Agreed. To my mind it's the MOST shitty thing in TDR2000. It killed all my wish to play it. I didn't get fun of the game. And this shit was above any possible pluses of the game (though I don't see any). Lot's of missions.. Isn't really any plus. CARNAGE is the idea of Carma to my mind, freedom. Freedom to kill, to crush, to drive.
In TDR2000 to go further I had to race, is it a fucking racing simulator or what?
Car demolition didn't do much fun to me.

I hope these mistakes will not be repeated.

From mighty fucking Russia with love ;)

Boanerges's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 22/09/2011 - 01:43

BattleMetalChris wrote:

To summarise, things I did like:

• The last two levels, on the bridge and then racing round the pristine utopia in ugly, dirty, evil cars.
  • Loved the look of the Eagle 4
  • Better graphics and car shaders
  • Impacts were good and meaty - you could feel the car bend and buckle before it bounced off, in C2 it felt a little like you were driving solid slabs of granite into each other.
  • It was still Carma game, deep down somewhere

Things I didn't like:

• Too much emphasis on the game dictating what you do
  • Cars didn't show enough visible damage
  • Timer too limited, which prevented exploring
  • Wierd shader issues (at least on my PC) which seemed to limit the texture resolution
  • Peds too tough

Agreed; still completed the whole game despite the frustration on some of the missions and the bunch of bugs that made if freeze on random loadings. My biggest dissapointment was on the mission where you had to carry (on the eagle) a nuke half the size of the car through a pipe; and when you failed the mission (which happened often) by making the nuke explode, i would have expected this huge BOOM that destroyed half the city and the player in ground zero.

Instead, the blast just "wasted" the car. Pretty much a turn off.

The mission problem, IMO, comes from carma2; i LOVED the carma1 pure "racing" style varying the maps within some scenarios instead of "finish here, alright, let's go to another place".

C2S's picture
C2S
Cunning Stunt Licker
Community VIPPayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 23/09/2011 - 00:18

Quote:
Getting points and time from hitting cars and peds was a bit..............random, could full on smash a car and get nothing, tap another and get 45seconds, hmmmmmm

Egg-sackly! A head-on collision at 250 mph, BAM, nothing. Back up a bit, and hit again at walking speed, 1000 credits! Rinse and repeat...

(Although, if I recall, this only worked when hitting them in the nose - not from behind or either side)

Xanarki's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 18/10/2011 - 19:59

The intro was the best thing about TDR 2000...

Pages