You are here

RPS Interview with Neil Barnden

Pages

Mad Max RW's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
RPS Interview with Neil Barnden
#1 Submitted: Tue, 26/07/2011 - 20:42

This is a pretty good read behind the past, present, and future of Carmageddon with Stainless Games.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/25/carmageddon-reincarnation-preview/#more-67614

Stainless co-founder Neil Barnden talks a little about how they lost Carmageddon, dreamed of making a new one for years, and how they reacquired the license through Square Enix. There's some details about digital distribution and how Steam is his favorite. The only thing that worries me is when the term "modernized" is thrown around. Every single time that's always meant simplified for consoles. In the case of Carmageddon, the gameplay is so basic I can't logically determine what needs simplifying.

My favorite part:

Quote:
RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

Edited by: Mad Max RW on 26/07/2011 - 20:43
matt's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Tue, 26/07/2011 - 21:28

Thanks for the posting the link, must be slacking as I didn't spot this one. I'm trying to eek out the new niblets of information as they're appearing. We need some sort of early warning system :)

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Wed, 27/07/2011 - 10:19

Mad Max RW wrote:
The only thing that worries me is when the term "modernized" is thrown around. Every single time that's always meant simplified for consoles. In the case of Carmageddon, the gameplay is so basic I can't logically determine what needs simplifying.

"Modernized" has little to do with the gameplay as such, it's more to do with the presentation and feel of the game's interface. As timeless as the gameplay is, Carma 1 & 2's presentation and interface are decrepit when compared to modern standards. Similarly things like the way powerups are selected and used can be "modernized" to make them easy to manage. We all know what a mission it is to select the right powerup when you've got a stock of twenty of the things, you end up hammering the square brackets for ages.

If they meant it was going to be over-simplified then they would have said it was going to be "simplified" instead of "modernized" purely because Stainless aren't answering to publisher PR bollocks in these interviews, they're their own keeper and seem to be saying exactly what they mean.

Igoreso's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 29/07/2011 - 09:42

I think he's thinking about re-releasing wrong way.
Many people (including me) would like to play both games without stupid emulators & stuff.
I'd pay for that.

Razor's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModeratorCompetition Winner
Submitted: Fri, 29/07/2011 - 11:36

Windows 98

For all of my Carmageddon stuff visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com
Visit my retro gaming website @ www.retrogameshelf.com

matt's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 29/07/2011 - 13:02

Funny you should mention that, I was recently going through my old hard drive stack and found one of them still had a bootable version of Windows ME on it, for the whole ten minutes that ME was on the market for I thought that was quite impressive. I don't even remember where that came from because I'm sure that while Me was out I was too busy beta testing Windows Whistler to notice....totally off topic I suppose.

nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Fri, 29/07/2011 - 15:54

Heh, thanks for flagging this one guys - I had no idea they'd actually posted the article. I did the interview with them at 'Develop' in Brighton last week.

I'm hope that I can allay your fears about the term "modernized" OP, by assuring you that we mean taking advantage of the good aspects associated with nearly 15 years of technological progress, in order to make a game even more fun, funny and outrageous. :)

I was in the war.

TurboDonkey007's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 04/08/2011 - 18:42

nobby wrote:
Heh, thanks for flagging this one guys - I had no idea they'd actually posted the article. I did the interview with them at 'Develop' in Brighton last week.

I'm hope that I can allay your fears about the term "modernized" OP, by assuring you that we mean taking advantage of the good aspects associated with nearly 15 years of technological progress, in order to make a game even more fun, funny and outrageous. :)

15 years more of tech = more possibilities!

I think we all know what is meant by modernising

meh

Mad Max RW's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 06/08/2011 - 15:54

Thanks for communicating with us, man. It's greatly appreciated. But you can understand my skepticism after watching so many great PC franchises go down the toilet in recent years. I just hope you continue to put up with us after the game's release. I can't recall more than a handful of developers that continued to interact with fans when they felt like their job was done. Stainless has a good track record with the first two Carmageddon games, so I'm not too worried.

Ed-303's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Sat, 06/08/2011 - 16:43

PLlease. Carmageddon REincarnation in 3D Stereoscopic!!!

3D Splatter Bonus Bring it on!!!!! cmon!

also HD 1080p. and how about Carmageddon R with physX !!!! that would be adequate

Dave3d's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 22/08/2011 - 22:32

Its too bad in that interview that they said they probably wont have C1 and C2 on gog.com.

Even though I already own the disc version (still in pretty good condition, for how much its been used), I would definitely buy the gog version, for the convenience of not having to apply patches/splat pack, and for not having to configure them to run on modern os'.

Pages

randomness