You are here

Wich engine will be used?

Pages

Octop's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 07/06/2011 - 19:02

The Frostbite 2 engine doesn't really do damage any 'better' then others out there.
I mean, it's not procedural in any way, just a lot of man-hours modeling destroyed versions, debris and add particle effects on top of that.
The result is looking awesome but it's time consuming and you could replicate it in other engines.

nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Tue, 07/06/2011 - 19:56

Tosh is bang on.

We've carried out extensive evaluations of several prospective commercial techs, but all that evaluating did was confirm to us that - with some tool updates and refinements currently being worked on - our own Beelzebub engine is the best solution for us.

100% our own IP, developed using 100% Stainless tech. We're "Bi-Winning", people... :D

I was in the war.

Synetearis's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 07/06/2011 - 20:39

nobby wrote:

Tosh is bang on.

We've carried out extensive evaluations of several prospective commercial techs, but all that evaluating did was confirm to us that - with some tool updates and refinements currently being worked on - our own Beelzebub engine is the best solution for us.

100% our own IP, developed using 100% Stainless tech. We're "Bi-Winning", people... :D

Does this mean,.. just like C1 it will have realtime damage? and like C2 detachables and stuff... Will it look anything like the damage in Rigs Of Rods?

Ooo man... cant wait.

bofh1971's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 07/06/2011 - 21:00

well hats off to you guys updating your current engine
it was brilliant in it's day, and a great seller of pc hardware, I upgraded my pc for both carma 1 and carma 2

bring on the destruction

BOFH1971

BattleMetalChris's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 07/06/2011 - 21:17

I think it's fantastic that the dev team are not only obviously reading the forums, but contributing too.

I already love this community :-)

Espyo wrote:
Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!
Donatello's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 10:37

Unreal engine would be very capable for Carmageddon. One of our own Unreal Tournament community members created this mod with the old Unreal 2.1 engine back in 2005. It is called UnWheel: http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/

You can run, but you'll only die tired.
nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 11:22

@Synetearis: Yes, because Carmageddon is so intrinsically centred around vehicles smashing into things, it would be inconceivable to think of a Carmageddon that didn't have real-time crushing, detachable parts, plus extensive scenery accessory damage (and hopefully even more than that!) These features are pre-requisites for the game.

@Donatello: We've seen other engine tech that could handle the game, it's true. But our conclusion was that none of these engines would save us time or money - quite the opposite, in fact. And "convenience/ease of use" would be the only reason to use middleware, if you also happen to have in-house tech that you already know can do the job.

I probably should mention that we aren't pulling a long-defunct, dusty old Beelzebub engine out of the back of a cupboard in the basement (with a sign on the door that says, "Beware of the Leopard"), blowing the dust off and then trying to get it to work again. We've been constantly developing Beelzebub and it underpins the whole of Stainless' back catalogue - so that it's now a powerful cross-platform API and set of libraries. What we need to do now though is make sure we have the appropriate tools in place for full production, plus polish the physics/driving engine so it shines in just the right way to make the game feel perfectly "Carma".

@BattleMetalChris: Glad to hear it! :)

I was in the war.

Synetearis's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 11:31

awesome.. thnx for your answer!

Trent's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 13:49

Hey Nobby!

The Beelzebub engine certainly sounds top notch. I was wondering if you guys were going to post any in depth blog posts about the engine's features? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in reading about the technical side of the techniques you guys use for things like mesh deformation, dynamic splitting and, well, basically any part of the engine you guys think is interesting.

Want mods? Want tools? Get them in the modding section!
http://www.carmageddon.com/forums/modding/carmageddon-reincarnation

My tools: LOLDecoder, GibbedTools for C:R, CRAP, CUNT
My mods: Carmageddon 1 Levels, Carmageddon 1 Cars

Donatello's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 14:19

nobby wrote:
@Donatello: We've seen other engine tech that could handle the game, it's true. But our conclusion was that none of these engines would save us time or money - quite the opposite, in fact. And "convenience/ease of use" would be the only reason to use middleware, if you also happen to have in-house tech that you already know can do the job.

I probably should mention that we aren't pulling a long-defunct, dusty old Beelzebub engine out of the back of a cupboard in the basement (with a sign on the door that says, "Beware of the Leopard"), blowing the dust off and then trying to get it to work again. We've been constantly developing Beelzebub and it underpins the whole of Stainless' back catalogue - so that it's now a powerful cross-platform API and set of libraries. What we need to do now though is make sure we have the appropriate tools in place for full production, plus polish the physics/driving engine so it shines in just the right way to make the game feel perfectly "Carma".

Thank you nobby, that is good to know. You guys would certainly know whether your own engine would be a capable platform for this game and since you believe it is, it is definitely the way to go. Thanks again for your reply.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Pages