You are here

Crash when starting a race

Pages

RazTK's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Crash when starting a race
#1 Submitted: Sat, 04/06/2011 - 06:18

Occasionally, just after the car positioning screen, CARM95.exe crashes. It usually happens after a few races, and the DOS executables does not have this problem, only CARM95.

The original game's CARM95.exe does not have this problem either. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, using hifi's DDRAW emulator, but it also happens on XP.

Anyone here knows what I'm talking about? It's not completely random; as in, it WILL happen after a few races, on every run of the game.

Edited by: RazTK on 04/06/2011 - 06:19
Econobrick's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Community VIP
Submitted: Sat, 04/06/2011 - 06:46

Kind of... Mine does the same thing in Carma95 except it happens when the race ends. Whether you win or run out of time. But like you said, usually after having done a few races.

No idea what causes it, though.

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 04/06/2011 - 12:18

This happens to me as well. I tried finding a pattern to what causes it, and every time I think I've got the reason figured out, it still crashes. Seems pretty much random to me. But of course, there is no such thing as a random crash unless it was on purpose. There's gotta be a reason.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

magmus's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 08/06/2011 - 12:46

Same with me, i was using Carmageddon Special Edition, but after some races end and i click continue after the car damage gallery, it crashes with a debug report.

Mother Trucker's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 14/06/2011 - 14:14

The problem is about the bad coding of the game, it should be remaked with a solid and uncrashable coding work...

"The mother of all truckers, this little old lady has more than a zimmer frame to defend herself with. It's pensioner payback time..."

Riess's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 11/08/2011 - 16:59

Did you saw who is participating in race when it crashes?

In my case, Splat Pack crashes at beginning of race only when one thing happens: Sinthea is participating in race. I dont remember game allow me to start a race with her. When I see her car on starting grid, I abort and restart race till I get rid of her.

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 12/08/2011 - 11:46

It's likely that a certain opponent causes the game to crash. I never took the time to figure out which one was it, but Sinthea seems like a good bet.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

Econobrick's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Community VIP
Submitted: Sun, 14/08/2011 - 01:35

I can tell you that The Sled and Bugutti crash my game under all circumstances. (Can't be driven or appear in a race)

Which is bizarre considering they've only been a problem on this most recent install of the game. They always used to work on my old PC. (which was an intel celeron with win98 from... '98)

Riess's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 14/08/2011 - 04:49

Bugutti works no problem for me, both drive and compete against.

hardcorerobot's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 16/08/2011 - 21:34

Usually what causes it is a bad variable out of range in one of the config files used for the races. That was the issue with the Mac version of the Splat Pack's "Ring of Fire." By eliminating the bad variable the race was playable on the Mac.

Sarcasm is a free service I provide.

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 16/08/2011 - 21:58

When I /investigated/ this issue a couple of years ago, I noticed this for both SLED and BUGUTTI:
11,-1,2,1 // Driven wheels GroovyFunkRefs (for spinning) - MUST BE 4 ITEMS
10,9,-1,-1 // Non-driven wheels GroovyFunkRefs (for spinning) - MUST BE 4 ITEMS

The eleven there is wrong, should be -1. In C2 that would make the game crash.
Now in C1 it seems like it is tolerated? I'm not sure, IMO various versions of C1 might handle errors differently.

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

Pages

randomness