You are here

I cannot even install this gem :(

Durandir's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
I cannot even install this gem :(
#1 Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2011 - 13:29

Been wanting to play this for a while now, and the resurrection of the site and the franchise drove me over the cliff. But it appears I cannot even install it. I own the "Sold Out" pack which came with Carmageddon 2 and that game we shall not speak of. When I try to install, nothing happens. I try to open the "Setup.exe" file instead of "Setup.Now.exe", which a guide to making it work says, but no such luck. Tried different compatibility settings, nothing. Something does appear in my Task Manager though.
Something called "ntvdm.exe" pops up (it appears it is needed to run certain games and dos-applications) and as sub-tasks for that one I get "setup.exe" and "wowexec.exe". Setup is a given, while the other one seems to be needed for 16-bit applications. But nothing happens after these tasks appear, and I am forced to stop them.

Since I thought it might have been my disc that was the error, I went online to download the game. I know, pirating is bad. But in this case I own the disc, I have used the disc countless of times, and I really wanted to play the game again. I found a CD-image of the game, got it down, mounted it and tried to install. The same problem occurs.

Now, I know there must be something wrong with my computer when I get the same problem on two different discs of the game. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Once I got it installed I'll follow a guide to make it work, but there are no guides on what to do if it doesn't even install.

Any help will be appreciated. Here is a fresh DxDiag, which might be helpful.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9583738/Stuff/DxDiag.txt

n3wton's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2011 - 16:33

edit

MangAnimE's picture
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 03/06/2011 - 00:45

Would be awesome to see a patch released to get Carma2 running in WinXP/7, or even a re-release at somewhere like GOG.com (Good Old Games). Will have to dig out my CDs & mods again (had all the cars from 'DeathRace 2000'.

gizmoidcat's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 17/01/2016 - 11:55

OK so this thread is 4.5 years old but I'm posting here in case anyone else is making their way back to Carmaggedon2 on a Windows 7/8.1/10 rig and hits the issue I did - the OP's description was the only one I could find that was similar to mine - I have a copy of the CD Rom from Sold Out Software and when I ran the setup.exe file (not the setup.now exe) nothing happened after a brief egg timer. So I couldn't get the files to install to progress onto the other fixes out there to get the game to run, with sound etc.
When I went to task manager I could see many setup.exe processes all sitting there waiting for something. I shut them all down and just had one of them running, then right clicked on it in task manager and selected 'go to details.' I found the process on the details page and right clicked again and selected 'analyze wait chain' and there it was: in my case setup.exe was waiting on Overwolf (an app that adds tools to games).... so I went to system tray and exited Overwolf and was rewarded by hearing my DVD drive spinning up and the install for Carmageddon starting! Just when I was thinking I'd bought a version of the installer that just was not compatible with Win 10..... yippee! Hope this helps someone...

Nick

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 18/01/2016 - 03:07

interesting that you managed to find a way to install i would have just said get dosbox and do all the things to access cd rom and install but your way more interesting than what i would have said. Saying that, does the game actually work with cd-rom still in drive ?

andreas aspenberg's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 21/08/2016 - 21:33

for me it installed after i rebooted the system so if anybody have issues i suggest rebooting.

randomness