You are here

[Release] Carmageddon 1 mod - All cars & Levels

Pages

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 12/02/2018 - 00:24

@Hazardic: yup, that's exactly right

@Starbuck: some cars likely have ride height issues. Ill need to investigate.

I'm not on dial up, I'm just on pretty shitty adsl until Tuesday when I am finally getting fibre installed ;)

I'll grab your pack during the week and have a look at it but, not to be a dick, it would probably take me more time to fix your ports than it would to create my own to that level of functionality from the original C2 and SplatPack data. Seriously, it took about half an hour to get Fun Fair's basic geometry in-game using my phone this evening, and most of that was waiting the C2 import scripts, my processing scripts, CMD export scripts and texture conversipn (TIF to PNG to TDX) to run:

If people want the rest of the classic levels in an empty, barebones form with no Peds, power ups, accessories or routes then i reckon i could knock them out in an evening. Probably wouldn't take me long to knock up some parsing code to read in the SP and C2 level txt files and spit out ped and path data. A bit more work on the maxscript front and I could automate the extraction of non-cars (they all start with & in the level hierarchy) from the levels to populate the accessories and powerups files and I think I've already got code to stitch the quadtree meshes together. With those bits in place there's just a tiny bit of manual jiggery pokery per lecel to get them up to the standard of most of the C1 pack. Doing the C2 levels properly would be a bit more involved because of the smashables and the drones but those could possibly also the automated to an extent.

Drones (cars, rollercoaster, jumbo jet) would be the difficult thing because I would need to create RBA's to animate them along their paths but if an object is animated with an RBA then they can't be knocked around so I would probably have to do them like the Monorail in Outskirts, where the accessory is on a breakable joint attached to an invisible object animated with the RBA.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 12/02/2018 - 04:05

ANY work you do is great. On my side it just pisses me off that I have about 30 maps that the cars fall thru and I did the 0,0,0 thing and they still are screwed up.

Something I did earlier today that solved one map doesnt work anymore. All I really want is just opponent paths and peds in my damn maps. I cant even get that far until the last hurdle is completed. And there are about 30 hurdles in front of me.

To me you aren't being a dick if you are pointing out faults, my case is now its many, its how we learn.

EDIT The way these were made was as far as I know. Was MAX format to FBX to Flummery and then exported to CNT which fell thru the map. When I did MAX to your tools exported to CNT then they would crash upon loading into the game. If it helps some map names I remember were Off Quay, Meltdown Alley and Towers of Torment and Topgear Thrash and Armorgeddon to name a few. If you get a chance to look at those CNT files. Hopefully you can see what wrong with those finished end files .

MORE EDIT I noticed by searching Google that is was obvious you were talking back and forth in a forum with Harmalarm possibly about Image Formats. So here is how I went about my "map making"
1 I imported the original maps using HarmaAlarms tools in MAX using DAT import.
2. I exported those maps into OBJ files.
3. I used notepad to turn the TIF references into PNG references by text replacing in the material file left..
4. I reopened the OBJ files in MAX.
5. Time about 30 seconds at most.
This gave me the same size models with textures on the models of the PNG textures in place into MAX which I can use for editing or exporting into FBX files, etc to use in Flummery. No special editing (like HEX editing ,etc) that any person with limited modeling knowledge can handle.

MORE MORE EDIT I FIXED THE ISSUE WITH FALLING THRU THE MAPS ! I Think I found out why. I think it turns out that exporting the file to an FBX makes it into a ghost. I will do it all over again using the ATTACH tool. and not going into Flummery at all (Sorry Errol). For one thing I forgot that Flummery erased all data in the LEVEL.LOL file. I assume it was because I did not have an editable mesh. Going to try to make track number 2 as a test now.

YES ! I easily fixed it in MAX. So disregard any problems I have listed here. Right now I got my head together.

So were are hopefully on the same page how to you get them into CR from C1 and C2 if you got time ? And hopefully have you been able to see what I did wrong (Besides the Pivot Points we discussed earlier) so I can avoid it in the future ?

Edited by: starbuck on Thu, 15/02/2018 - 05:41

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Licky Webster's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 12/02/2018 - 11:19

WOW.

Harder than french kissing a cobra.

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Wed, 14/02/2018 - 09:34

I'm poking at making the Flummery process a little more seamless. Three clicks and you're done.

Open C2 level > Process for C:MD > Save as C:MD level... et voila

There is still some ways to go though

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 14/02/2018 - 13:42

Errol wrote:
I'm poking at making the Flummery process a little more seamless. Three clicks and you're done.

Open C2 level > Process for C:MD > Save as C:MD level... et voila

There is still some ways to go though

Yes ! Keep poking ! Thank you !

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Thu, 15/02/2018 - 11:20

I just had a play with the C1 Bleak City for the first time. GREAT. XD

I was in the war.

farellfoxx's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Wed, 20/06/2018 - 04:10

Well, well. I just logged in after 2+ years to tell you that I just came violently all over my desk.
I don't think it'll come out, but thanks anyway!

I'm so glad to see you've finished these, however rough; thanks Trent! I know what I'm playing tonight!

I'm a wannabe modder; looking to improve!

My skins for TDR 2000: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/28683

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 06/08/2018 - 14:20

Amazing

Pages

randomness