You are here

Dreams of a banger racing mod.

Sleep Dirt's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Posts: 58
Dreams of a banger racing mod.
#1 Submitted: Mon, 03/04/2017 - 02:52

So I've been way out of the loop regarding modding and C:MD in general, pumped about 40 hours into early C:R then pledged to return when it's basically 100ish% complete, and with a better PC. Anyways, when C:R was announced one of the first things I thought was "fucking immense banger racing mod" with "ultra hyper damage" with "like 20 fucking cars man".

I'm 99.9% sure I can answer these myself.

Will I ever be able to mod what I want without getting that "modded data detected " thing stuffed up my butt every time?
Let alone being able to do some moddage and play a career game, rendering my dreams of a banger mod like SoD a stillborn slush, I couldn't find anything anywhere saying of a workaround, so guessing nothing was worked out? Dose any high ranking dudes like Toshiba or Trent know if something might happen in the future?

More than 6 cars on the map? Guessing no, hardcoded onto a rotting nutsack or something.

Feels odd the squeal to the game I've played and modded the most of any ever, basically tells me to get my filthy hands off the code, did one of the modders really piss Batwick off or something?

The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Posts: 2765
Submitted: Mon, 03/04/2017 - 08:54

I've been trying to get some answers myself but for the time being Stainless is focused on the new mobile game so I'm pretty sure we won't see any updates to CMD for some time yet. Steam workshop would be a very welcome addition as well as opening up the career to modding (modded data detected can't be circumvented at this time I don't think). As for the car limit it can be increased but again not in a 'legitimate' way.

It does indeed feel odd that this sequel hasn't had much in the way of being open to mods, lets hope that changes so we can get stuck in making game modes and more stuff other than cars and levels.

Edited by: AlexTSK on Mon, 03/04/2017 - 08:55
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Posts: 2997
Submitted: Mon, 03/04/2017 - 15:27

You can get around the annoying modded data message by editing the UI scripts. You can also get into multiplayer the same way, though if you have different game data you won't be able to connect to anyone else's game unless they have the exact same data as you. I'm pretty sure you can still get around the saving issue by extracting all the game's data and running it with the -use_zads 0 command line switch, it definitely worked when Max Damage was launched, don't think it was fixed in the update.

Changing the number of opponents in multiplayer is doable just by changing the UI scripts to allow it. I have not tried to get more opponents in freeplay or career in Max Damage but back when I tried it in Reincarnation the value was unfortunately hard coded which was incredibly annoying.

The whole problem was the design team wanted "community" features like leaderboards and shit to be "secure" and avoid cheaters, which ended up being totally at odds with the community's (and Nobby's) desire for a completely moddable game. Not to mention things like the grid size being hard coded is less to do with it being a deliberate choice to not make it moddable but more likely who ever did it just didn't think about modding. I've made tons of requests and suggestions about modding support over the years but there's always been too much other work needed to be done for them to be addressed by anyone.

I probably could put together a proof-of-concept total conversion of some sort if I had the time to do it...

Sleep Dirt's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Posts: 58
Submitted: Mon, 03/04/2017 - 22:09

AlexTSK wrote:
It does indeed feel odd that this sequel hasn't had much in the way of being open to mods, lets hope that changes so we can get stuck in making game modes and more stuff other than cars and levels.

Thanks for the reply Alex, looks like Trent's got the answers we wanted!

Trent wrote:
You can get around the annoying modded data message by editing the UI scripts. You can also get into multiplayer the same way, though if you have different game data you won't be able to connect to anyone else's game unless they have the exact same data as you. I'm pretty sure you can still get around the saving issue by extracting all the game's data and running it with the -use_zads 0 command line switch, it definitely worked when Max Damage was launched, don't think it was fixed in the update.

Awesome Trent! I was praying for it not to be hardcoded or non workaroundable, I'll have a dig about in the UI section n see what's what, I'm not too worried about the multiplayer but have been meaning to give it a go. Just knowing there is a chance of saving is brilliant haha though I'm a little scared to try in case it doesn't work, it brings a tear to my eye having all those damage setting but being told off for playing with um, we only had like five in C2, now I get to scroll a page crammed with them!!!!

Trent wrote:
Changing the number of opponents in multiplayer is doable just by changing the UI scripts to allow it. I have not tried to get more opponents in freeplay or career in Max Damage but back when I tried it in Reincarnation the value was unfortunately hard coded which was incredibly annoying.

I was thinking if it was as easy to add opponents in C:MD as it was in C:2 it would have been done on a bunch of new maps, or a few vids with a PC's grinding to a halt during ten car pileups, I feel that one more car on the map would sweet, as they are a bit passive on MODgeddon freeplay, though I've not had a play with the AI_attackers/opportunistic settings in game_balancing.lol yet.

Trent wrote:
The whole problem was the design team wanted "community" features like leaderboards and shit to be "secure" and avoid cheaters, which ended up being totally at odds with the community's (and Nobby's) desire for a completely moddable game. Not to mention things like the grid size being hard coded is less to do with it being a deliberate choice

I can see the whole secure community thing, just a shame such a heavy hand implementation. I'd guess opponent amount was a fairly early choice in development and not considered much after, it seemed like getting Carma out the door took top priority (as it should) I struggle to fault much of what they managed to pull off, and what I could I've tweaked to how I like.

Trent wrote:
I probably could put together a proof-of-concept total conversion of some sort if I had the time to do it...

If you were to do this I'd happily send some funds your way to make it more worth a while, I feel like there's a whole life for C:MD in the mod world hobbled by the 'no save' and 'mod warning', maybe after online perishes and it's just tweakers left Nobby might be able to twist an arm to let us have our ways.

Thanks for the reply Trent, looks like my banger dream might not be such a dream after all!

Edited by: Sleep Dirt on Mon, 03/04/2017 - 22:12

The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

panic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 129
Submitted: Sat, 13/05/2017 - 18:51

The modern Freddy huh

I hope you get this banger TC thing on the road somehow, used to be my favorite c2 mod after AdR's taunus.

edit: after playing with Psyrgery's damage setting tweak thingy, this game SCREAMS for a banger mod. The damage physics are amazing.

Edited by: panic on Sat, 13/05/2017 - 19:55
Sleep Dirt's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Posts: 58
Submitted: Fri, 30/06/2017 - 22:58

panic wrote:
The modern Freddy huh

I hope you get this banger TC thing on the road somehow, used to be my favorite c2 mod after AdR's taunus.

edit: after playing with Psyrgery's damage setting tweak thingy, this game SCREAMS for a banger mod. The damage physics are amazing.

I'd love to give it a try, I've sort of got me head around the core workings of 3Dmax now, it would be mainly stuff like 80's/90's British fords at first, so lots of simple car shapes, I'd also be begging for help from the monster modders here. Really need to be able to mod the career mode to make something more than a bundle of random banger things, it would take me till 2022 to finish, but I'de give it a good crack.

I'm part way through a damage n other stuff overhaul, two primary things addressed are lessening the concertina and banana damage effect, also increasing the damage taken by the 'attacking' vehicle. What I've done so far I find pleasing, I'll release something at somepoint.

The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

timmy76's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 116
Submitted: Tue, 04/07/2017 - 13:05

Me and Dalags had plans to make a banger mod but due to commitments to working on our Online Bangers (Nascar Heat) mod.

panic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 129
Submitted: Fri, 14/07/2017 - 23:10

Sleep Dirt wrote:
I'd love to give it a try, I've sort of got me head around the core workings of 3Dmax now, it would be mainly stuff like 80's/90's British fords at first, so lots of simple car shapes, I'd also be begging for help from the monster modders here. Really need to be able to mod the career mode to make something more than a bundle of random banger things, it would take me till 2022 to finish, but I'de give it a good crack.

I'm part way through a damage n other stuff overhaul, two primary things addressed are lessening the concertina and banana damage effect, also increasing the damage taken by the 'attacking' vehicle. What I've done so far I find pleasing, I'll release something at somepoint.

Remember those boxy granadas did the job. I noticed one thing that doesn't seem to go away in CMD, it's very annoying when parts fall off the car so fast, so the 'banged up' effect is completely ruined.

randomness