You are here

Saved game files still display as EMPTY

jimjamz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Saved game files still display as EMPTY
#1 Submitted: Fri, 03/03/2017 - 21:43

Hello all,

I'm playing the original game on 1997 hardware in MS-DOS 6.22. I've progressed quite far into the game and have been saving after each race or rank increase in one of the 10 save slots available within the game. These are stored in \CARMA\DATA\SAVE with the corresponding save files named SAVE[0-9].

Because my progress has required more than the 10 saves allowed, what I've done is progressively moved the SAVE files to another directory e.g. CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01 so that the 10 save slots are freed up to re-use again within the original SAVE directory.

So my archived files look something like this:

\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01\SAVE0
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01\SAVE1
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01\SAVE2
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01\SAVE8
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET01\SAVE9
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET02\SAVE0
\CARMA\SAVEGAME\SET02\SAVE1

The problem is when I move one of the sets of save game files back to the original \CARMA\DATA\SAVE directory, the game no longer recognises them and sees the 10 save slots within the game as "EMPTY". Is some form of encryption being applied to the save game files?

How can I get the game to recognise the save game files again once they've been moved out of the SAVE directory and back in again?

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 04/03/2017 - 11:24

There's definitely an annoying thing going on with the save files. I don't think I've ever been able to mess around with these either.
We never looked into the file format etc. There's an old save file viewer, if you can get it to run (it's a 16bit exe I suppose) maybe it can help you figure out what's going on? No guarantee though.

http://rr2000.toshiba-3.com/R4/PC/carmed01.zip

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

QTZ's picture
QTZ
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Mon, 20/03/2017 - 04:31

Game using only 8 slots from SAVE0 to SAVE7. Proper save file size is 948 Bytes, where last 4 Bytes are for checksum, so edited save will not load with not corrected checksum. Since it is 4 Bytes I think this may be CRC32 variation, or/and just taken from selected part of save file. There should be no problems renaming or moving files back and forth without editing (we can even switch their numbers or/and copy to another). Maybe you are doing something wrong? Or maybe game copying or load "blank" files from CD (not tested)?

Edit: I have re-read your post and I have realized that you are using wrong directory
- you should use \CARMA\DATA\SAVEGAME instead of \CARMA\DATA\SAVE

Edited by: QTZ on Mon, 20/03/2017 - 04:31