You are here

So, how's about that Linux game?

Pages

ToreadorVampire's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
So, how's about that Linux game?
#1 Submitted: Tue, 28/02/2017 - 20:25

As I do, every few months I log in, take a look around and ask about the game I backed 5 years ago.

Here's a fresh opportunity for anyone from Stainless to add an official line on the Linux/Max versions. I know the "we are committed to producing" line already, but that not feeling like any kind of commitment at all without a deadline or even target date, especially not when other projects which weren't promised in the KS are taking priority. So far I've had zero return on the $150 KS backing.

Are we still in a state of perpetual "eventually, you'll get a game" or is there some kind of actual plan for delivery now?

Nobody suspects a Toreador …

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 28/02/2017 - 21:53

And yet there is a Linux post right below yours.

Reminds me of the web saying "Black Ops 2 compatibility news" and seeing it may come out this month maybe not, we dont know because its a third party game, But Thanks for falling for the link.

It will show up on day, give it time. It could just pop up out of no where.

Edited by: starbuck on Tue, 28/02/2017 - 21:56

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Car-o-line's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 08/06/2017 - 16:28

Ok just a small question:
When will you keep your promise and release the DRM-free Linux version for backers?
Because that is the reason I gave you my money.
Please, no funny bullshit answer, I want an serious reply I can trust on.
Unfortunately, you don't seem to answer support tickets concerning backer's matters...:-(

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 08/06/2017 - 22:44

The reason is because there is no ''final'' version of CMD.
In order to port the game they would need a version that is not going to change often.

CR had a few major changes in its life and CMD was one of them.
Porting is hard , so they are going to do it on the most stable and up to date version of the game possible , otherwise that would just mean a lot of work everytime they fix or enhance something.

Its not a happy answer , and it is fustrating.

I do not know when it will happen but it will happen. my current guess is that there are some final tweaks to CMD they want to do before porting it and then moving on to content DLC (if they even follow that path at all)

My view on the situation , not just the mac or linux version but also the PC is that they expected a lot more sales than what they actualy got and that might have slowed everything down a bit.
During the days of CR there was a lot of talk of DLC , it felt like the plan was a never ending sea of content updates and DLC , but so far that has yet to happen.

I understand its not optimal but can it not be run via wine or bootcamp (or what not?)

Edited by: Privata on Thu, 08/06/2017 - 22:44
KaptainUfolog's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 12/06/2017 - 16:37

Privata wrote:
In order to port the game they would need a version that is not going to change often.

The single word: bullshit.

Why its bullshit? Because the only thing need to be ported is the engine, especially graphical engine! Cross-platform engine have no need for waiting unchangeable final version. The only serious thing to be implemented is the Vulkan based rendering engine. It will work absolutely identical on any platform with most of drivers without any change of code - just compile it and get great result. GNU/Linux has great Vulkan driver called RADV (its a part of standard MESA library), other significant platforms has also Vulkan support. Other code should me mostly cross-platform (may be developers need to port netcode using SDL2 library). Testing before releasing a next version is pretty easy for a good cross-platform code

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 12/06/2017 - 17:50

KaptainUfolog wrote:
Privata wrote:

The single word: bullshit.

Why its bullshit? Because the only thing need to be ported is the engine, especially graphical engine! Cross-platform engine have no need for waiting unchangeable final version. The only serious thing to be implemented is the Vulkan based rendering engine. It will work absolutely identical on any platform with most of drivers without any change of code - just compile it and get great result. GNU/Linux has great Vulkan driver called RADV (its a part of standard MESA library), other significant platforms has also Vulkan support. Other code should me mostly cross-platform (may be developers need to port netcode using SDL2 library). Testing before releasing a next version is pretty easy for a good cross-platform code

I cant remember how long was it from V! (the lousy framerate) and V2 (the Xbox version code )?

I am beginning to think they release the better PC version right before they released the Xbox version.

Since you seem to know more (never coded Linux ever) would it take as much time from "PC better version" to Xbox shelves ? Or shorter ?

I think you dont need no permission to release on Linux do you ? Just a hosting site. (no sellers , no distributors, no stores) right ?

Besides dont they just need a release of "Carmageddon Reincarnation" and NOT Max Damage ? CR was two years ago or so.

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 12/06/2017 - 17:52

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

KaptainUfolog's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 13/06/2017 - 11:05

starbuck wrote:

I cant remember how long was it from V! (the lousy framerate) and V2 (the Xbox version code )?

I am beginning to think they release the better PC version right before they released the Xbox version.

Since you seem to know more (never coded Linux ever) would it take as much time from "PC better version" to Xbox shelves ? Or shorter ?

I think you dont need no permission to release on Linux do you ? Just a hosting site. (no sellers , no distributors, no stores) right ?

Besides dont they just need a release of "Carmageddon Reincarnation" and NOT Max Damage ? CR was two years ago or so.

They made Xbox One and PS4 versions before the PC version - as i see game consoles is their primary aim. I think they just dont want to do what they must in accordance with kickstarter campaign. C:MD is optimized version of C:R initially planned as a big update for C:R, and for now C:R is abandoned project.

Edited by: KaptainUfolog on Tue, 13/06/2017 - 11:07
KaptainUfolog's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 13/06/2017 - 14:35

Besides... There was no game updates for very long time at all. So the argument "they need to make ultimately stable version first" does not work.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 13/06/2017 - 17:18

KaptainUfolog wrote:
starbuck wrote:

They made Xbox One and PS4 versions before the PC version - as i see game consoles is their primary aim. I think they just dont want to do what they must in accordance with kickstarter campaign. C:MD is optimized version of C:R initially planned as a big update for C:R, and for now C:R is abandoned project.

Well if I remember the largest backer (3.5 mil ?) backed the game so it could make it to console and that could be why the game is "off kilter". I remember them saying it was originally 1 map and 1 car.

I also agree with you "updates" post.

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 14/06/2017 - 13:08

KaptainUfolog wrote:
Besides... There was no game updates for very long time at all. So the argument "they need to make ultimately stable version first" does not work.

They have not finished with CMD.
They have said they will make a port when the PC version is finished.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 14/06/2017 - 13:29

Privata wrote:
KaptainUfolog wrote:

They have not finished with CMD.
They have said they will make a port when the PC version is finished.

I am beginning to see what Kaptain is saying perhaps they are adding a change here and a change there so they dont HAVE to make a ported version. Next stop "Camageddon Multiple Damage" for the PC with one new car ?

"Carmageddon Reincarnation" WAS finished over a year ago.

Edited by: starbuck on Wed, 14/06/2017 - 13:30

Pages