You are here

What a load of shit (about a review)

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
What a load of shit (about a review)
#1 Submitted: Tue, 17/01/2017 - 02:19

I am used to critics and the major audience not enjoying the same products as me.
Because usualy they have reasons , and will often state so in the review.

I am just saying you would not get me to review something I was not at least semi versed in.

Like my opinion on the latest hit-scan only FPS does not matter because I dont like hit-scan very much and hate those games.
My point is : if you dont like sea-food you dont review sea-food , right? Now dont get me wrong I am not against negative reviews , and objective ones are near impossible.

If someone hates Carmageddon MD thats fine , if someone who LOVES the old ones and hates the new ones I am very intrested to hear why !

This review , well written but ultimately seems to be falling for the same mistakes that it claims CMD is.

-The review claims that running over peds is ''tasteless'' now its not tastefull , but it is fun , silly and just outright not ment to be taken seriously.
-The review claims that other games have better graphics , yes they do. but then most dont have the same damage model , peds , and open maps (without objects like peds being removed) Now I agree the game is not the best looking its not the worst either and it does its job well. (and I find some areas to be nice looking)
-The review claims that the physics are not fun , now okay thats fine. but its the point of the series to be heavy.

I just dont like it very much when someone who is not even close to the target audiance makes claims that could scare away customers.

I dont want to it censored , changed or anything realy... I just feel that ''reviews'' for games and movies often outright miss the point. and rather follow a quest for pseudo intellectualism (like that time someone made a list of plot holes in StarWars yet ALL of them had official lore reasons for being that way and it was just down to the ''journalist'' not doing resarch)

Like when some twats claimed ''rogue one is dark !'' no shit , its nearly as if it was ment to be a darker war movie and 50% of the marketing talked about how ''dark'' it was.
Going on with my StarWars thing I understand if someone does not like an episode or something especially if they have not read all the canon books I do , thats fine. but when some reviews are like ''I dont like the old movies , and I dont like this one'' whats the point?

I hope I dont sound angry because I am not , I am just confused as to what the point is.

But then again we have shit like : ''Skyblivion is looking a lot like Oblivion rebuilt in Skyrim'' well... duh. the project to rebuilt cyrodiil in skyrim's engine looks a lot like cyrodiil in skyrim's engine... I would have never guessed.

Anyway I feel that this is very petty of me , but I do so love conversations about reviews , opinions and looking at opinions

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 17/01/2017 - 04:16

"The review claims that running over peds is ''tasteless'' now its not tastefull , but it is fun , silly and just outright not ment to be taken seriously."

What do they expect ? Unicorns and bunnies ?

Any review like that I could care less what their opinion is. So I just let it slide. Its tasteless in GTA five to use a grenade to punt a body between goalposts but its programmed into the game to be FUN !

You are right if they dont like seafood they shouldnt review it. I have more respect for the reviewers that keep it objective. As well as I prefer a review on someone that at least know how games work.

I last night tried the Xbox version with the Corkscrew (whatever) at least THAT didnt piss me off being crushed every 2 seconds. It was this thing called (what is word?) FUN !

Agree with the STAR WARS point, they should at least not fell asleep during the last few STAR WARS movies. One movie Vader waits for the troopers to mop up THEN steps in and yet in another in the same scene (different movie) jumps right in and mows them down.

Dont let the reviews of aholes get to you, you just give them more power talking about them and their review. I know I mostly dont follow my policy but just let them die.

Edited by: starbuck on Tue, 17/01/2017 - 04:25

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 17/01/2017 - 16:23

starbuck wrote:
"The review claims that running over peds is ''tasteless'' now its not tastefull , but it is fun , silly and just outright not ment to be taken seriously."

What do they expect ? Unicorns and bunnies ?

Any review like that I could care less what their opinion is. So I just let it slide. Its tasteless in GTA five to use a grenade to punt a body between goalposts but its programmed into the game to be FUN !

You are right if they dont like seafood they shouldnt review it. I have more respect for the reviewers that keep it objective. As well as I prefer a review on someone that at least know how games work.

I last night tried the Xbox version with the Corkscrew (whatever) at least THAT didnt piss me off being crushed every 2 seconds. It was this thing called (what is word?) FUN !

Agree with the STAR WARS point, they should at least not fell asleep during the last few STAR WARS movies. One movie Vader waits for the troopers to mop up THEN steps in and yet in another in the same scene (different movie) jumps right in and mows them down.

Dont let the reviews of aholes get to you, you just give them more power talking about them and their review. I know I mostly dont follow my policy but just let them die.

It not getting to me , its just confusing.

As for Vader in rogue one Vader was in a hurry because the rebels could get away any second , however in A new hope Vader has all the time in the world as the rebels can not get away this time (well escape pods with droids in them did not fit into his plans lol)

But I do think they just want to ride the might high horse. sadly for them it seems the high horse is riding them

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 21/01/2017 - 12:59

"The review claims that running over peds is ''tasteless''"

No need to read past that. A game's premise doesn't mean a game is good or bad, so for this subjective bit to be included in the review as a negative, it's already an instant sign that the reviewer is biased and not trustworthy. Heck, and let's just pretend games like GTA don't exist, am I right?

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 21/01/2017 - 13:27

No, no, no, just running over peds really is tasteless, but running them over, shooting the ones who get up, hearing their cries of pain, getting out the car and casually strolling to the lucky few who are still alive but writhing in agony on the floor to bludgeon them to death with a baseball bat is perfectly acceptable behaviour.

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 21/01/2017 - 21:57

Trent wrote:
No, no, no, just running over peds really is tasteless, but running them over, shooting the ones who get up, hearing their cries of pain, getting out the car and casually strolling to the lucky few who are still alive but writhing in agony on the floor to bludgeon them to death with a baseball bat is perfectly acceptable behaviour.

Thats just it I think.
Its a bit of a drone mentality (drone morality?) if they are not told to do something by the game its not a factor to them.

GTA lets you kill
Carma asks you to do it

But I dont see the difference , many argue that ''oh GTA has a plot'' true it has one , and I loved it. I realy did love GTA Vs story however just like with GTA IV , V has this issue where the story missions feel like they are from a different game , maybe something closer to Max payne and when you finish a mission it goes back into the classic GTA world.

I think a big issue is some thing we cant have Carmageddon and games like Mass Effect they think that story driven games will vanish if Carmageddon happens.
As much as I love games that tell a good story (and I do) I do think that games that just do what ever the fuck they feel like doing is great.

Sometimes the biggest issue we have in the gaming world is the obsesion to apear mature. thing is we allready are. we allready have deep games with amazing naratives. we have big worlds , we have games that question morality , we have games that deal in every topic. and its done very well.

However , its very immature that we act as if we should not/cant enjoy a game like carma.

Another example of this sort of shithead journalism is a list I once saw with Carmageddon listed as games we will be ashamed of , to me I see it as proof that we as a species can separate fiction from real life.

But the same issue is present in movies. the second a new StarWars movie comes out idiots will rush to the web to make a list of ''top 40 plot holes'' or claim the new movie is ''the worst movie every made'' trying to show a intelectual supremacy formed from ignorance of the source material.

Its like when a movie about racism comes out and you see articles claiming its wrong... ugh sometimes I wish I could just block all the shit on the web.
Sometimes I am actualy shocked that adults produce this sort of review...

But I guess I , and all of us here are just too ''tasteless'' to understand fine art. :p

Forgive my horrible spelling , it comes from a broken aspergic mind. must have got run over by a gamer or something as child :p

Edited by: Privata on Sat, 21/01/2017 - 21:58
koosa666's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/03/2017 - 22:04

World is full of hypocrisy and double standars, that's one thing. Next thing are the reviewers, the reality is that now 3/4 of them have played little to none games from 90s and earlier. i got a fucking headache reading some of the bullcrap in most reviews of MD, like ,,driving physics make the game unplayable'' - guess what dumb reviewer, they've been designed based on games like Carma I & II, and they're perfect for this kind of gameplay, combining skill and luck into a beautiful blend, just like i remembered it in the old games.
The best thing to do is to just ignore reviews, and trust your own taste and instinct.

Oh, and about games trying to be mature and everything, i fully agree. Games for me are supposed to be fun and gameplay is the key part because, you know games are about playing, interaction, player agency; Not about listening to some crappy B-movie story through boring audiologs and reading walls of text. For me artsy games are those with the gameplay flow and sense of satisfaction through certain actions (like The Evil Within, critical headshots in that game feel so damn good, now that is art! or Zone Mode in Wipeout HD, you have to be so focused that your brain falls in some kind of a zen mode). If i want a good story i read a book, if i want movie-like action i don't play stupid uncharted, i just watch a movie. Cheers to anyone who read that mess :)

Edited by: koosa666 on Wed, 01/03/2017 - 22:22