You are here

Can't Play Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod

LegendXDPlayz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Can't Play Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod
#1 Submitted: Thu, 05/01/2017 - 21:24

Ok, so I've been having a problem. I have recently downloaded the Carmageddon 2 Beta mod, so that way I wouldn't get bored with Carma since I've beat Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now.
BUT! Something wrong happens. Now I own the GOG version of Carma 2, which runs perfect. I can only use the Hardware, since Software and the original do not work. What I'm getting to is that whenever I try to play Razor's Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod, it is HW, but it stays black for 5 seconds then says something like CARMA2_HW.exe has stopped working, and I also have been trying to play Carmageddon 1 and it's Splat Pack, but 3DFX and the normal run very slow. So I guess apparently I'm unable to play Razor's Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod.
Help or guidance to making this thing work, this awesome mod to work, would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I like to mod Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse now

and sometimes Carmageddon, and it's splat pack

If you ever get wasted by something stupid, you just gotta say, hey guess it was just, BAD CARMA!

QTZ's picture
QTZ
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 06/01/2017 - 00:43

Read here: http://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9560

I guess you have older OS, so the winmm.dll (wrapper for CD Audio) cause crash - just rename this file to winmm.dll.bak or something (no CD Audio or CD Audio from real CD Audio in your DVD drive), or replace this file with older version - currently available with Steam and GOG C1/SP (and AFAIR Steam C2).

LegendXDPlayz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 07/01/2017 - 00:29

*UPDATE!* I renamed the file and everything is working well now! No crashes, there is still sound and everything is going good now! Thanks!

Edited by: LegendXDPlayz on Sat, 07/01/2017 - 18:08

If you ever get wasted by something stupid, you just gotta say, hey guess it was just, BAD CARMA!

LegendXDPlayz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 08/01/2017 - 05:42

*UPDATE TWO* So, I've played through the whole game, up to group ten! But whenver I finish the final mission, and skip or watch the whole cutscene where Max drives off from the silo nuclearly exploding, showing the part of him eviling smiling driving off, it will go black, then my whole game crash but it does save my progress right before I even did the mission, I've so far did it twice with the Eagle 3, and once with the Porker 2, but when it backtracks to before the mission, with me using the Hick Pickup or whatever it's called. I've tried 3x only 2x using the cheat SMARTBASTARD to finish the race, but when I did it with the Porker 2, I went through and did everything, destroyed all barriers, pressed THE END button, and yet it still crashed. Now remember, It did not do this to me in the real Carmageddon 2 Carpocalypse Now GOG edition. I'm using the Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod.

Razor's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModeratorCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sun, 08/01/2017 - 09:27

Thanks for stepping in here QTZ, I will at some point in the future update the files to include this small fix for older operating systems.

Quote:
*UPDATE TWO* So, I've played through the whole game, up to group ten! But whenver I finish the final mission, and skip or watch the whole cutscene where Max drives off from the silo nuclearly exploding, showing the part of him eviling smiling driving off, it will go black, then my whole game crash but it does save my progress right before I even did the mission, I've so far did it twice with the Eagle 3, and once with the Porker 2, but when it backtracks to before the mission, with me using the Hick Pickup or whatever it's called. I've tried 3x only 2x using the cheat SMARTBASTARD to finish the race, but when I did it with the Porker 2, I went through and did everything, destroyed all barriers, pressed THE END button, and yet it still crashed. Now remember, It did not do this to me in the real Carmageddon 2 Carpocalypse Now GOG edition. I'm using the Carmageddon 2 Beta Mod.

I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce this issue, it shouldn't be crashing at all though but knowing me I have probably just forgotten something simple yet important somewhere, will update when/if I can reproduce or advise you on a solution to this. (Unless someone else steps in with some obvious solutions)

EDIT: I know whilst likely unrelated and you may already be aware but the game will likely crash on exit, every time, depending on the operating system you're using.

Edited by: Razor on Sun, 08/01/2017 - 09:37

For all of my Carmageddon stuff visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com
Visit my retro gaming website @ www.retrogameshelf.com

LegendXDPlayz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 08/01/2017 - 16:52

Okay, so does that mean since it will likely crash everytime 99.9% of the time, does that mean the game is virtually unbeatable? Because, since i'm a complete nerd, I've always wanted to try out like whenever I could beat the game, like the Early and Alpha Eagle 3, and cars like the Digga, Ice Cream Van.. etc. But that does make very much sense.

Razor's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModeratorCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sun, 08/01/2017 - 19:36

LegendXDPlayz wrote:
Okay, so does that mean since it will likely crash everytime 99.9% of the time, does that mean the game is virtually unbeatable? Because, since i'm a complete nerd, I've always wanted to try out like whenever I could beat the game, like the Early and Alpha Eagle 3, and cars like the Digga, Ice Cream Van.. etc. But that does make very much sense.

No, I've tested all of the different builds I have of the mod (there are three of them,) with different executables and can't reproduce the issue, the game just goes back to the menu just fine whenever I've tested with various different save files. I'm thinking it could be one of three things that are the cause of your problems:
1. Your system- Could you provide exactly what OS you're running on and what your system specs are please
2. Your save file- C2 can go a bit haywire with saves now and again, a lot of my builds of the game have random different saving problems, though none that cause outright crashes
3. Your glidewrapper- Very long shot this one but it would be ideal to know what glidewrapper you're using and what settings you're using with it. (I included nglide with the mod so I assume you're running that?)

Edited by: Razor on Sun, 08/01/2017 - 19:39

For all of my Carmageddon stuff visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com
Visit my retro gaming website @ www.retrogameshelf.com

LegendXDPlayz's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 10/01/2017 - 21:48

Okay, so for 1. I own a Windows 10, my specs are, Intel Atom Quad Core Processor, and a GEN7 GPU Processor if that could help.
2. I actually so far have no problems with it loading my save files, just decided to start a new game, but everything goes well.
3. And yes, I am using NGlide with 3DFX.

randomness