You are here

Suggestion: Wobble recover with wheelspin key

Taalen's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Suggestion: Wobble recover with wheelspin key
#1 Submitted: Sat, 17/12/2016 - 21:20

Just a small controls related suggestion: How about we could have the option to bind wobble recover to the wheelspin key instead of the all-purpose recovery key? Or give it a key of it's own if it would be technically difficult to bind both wheelspin and wobble to the same key.

Playing with a keyboard, having wobble under the same key as regular recovery presents several problems. First of all, if you're using 'R', you can only wobble to the left by just using your left hand, wobble to the right requires you moving your right hand over to press a key it would normally never have to. This is awkward to say the least. Secondly, it happens quite often that an attempt to wobble will not be long enough, or maybe your finger slips a bit or something, and you end up performing recovery instead. This is annoying.

Essentially you have two separate functions that can be performed at the same time bound to the same key - if you're on your roof, you may want to either perform wobble recover or a recovery, but having them on the same key sometimes causes the wrong thing to happen. This is a bit of a poor design choice. However, if wobble recover were bound to wheelspin key, this problem would be eliminated - you can only ever need one at a time. If your wheels are on the ground, wheelspin, otherwise wobble. The two functions are basically perfect for being bound to the same key, while the two recovery options would be better separated, in my humble opinion.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 17/12/2016 - 23:05

Have you tried holding R with your index finger and pressing D with your thumb? Ive always found it quite easy to wobble recover in all four directions with just one hand :/

Taalen's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 18/12/2016 - 12:57

That might work, but still requires moving fingers away from their usual areas, which isn't ideal.

Gunsmith's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 18/12/2016 - 13:26

tbh i never had a problem with it but ive always ran a different layout ever since the original carmageddon didnt allow steering with arrow keys, through experimentation I've found a 2 handed layout to give better control, try this, see how you get on with it.

D = accelerate
C = brake
space = handbrake
Z = wheelspin
R = recovery

numpad
1 = steer left
2 = flap flap
3 = steer right
4 = scroll pup left
5 = activate pup
6 = scroll pup right

Edited by: Gunsmith on Sun, 18/12/2016 - 13:26
Helomyname's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sun, 18/12/2016 - 17:12

Two-handed controls always feel like im trying to maneuver a tank to me, its just very uncomfortable.

I agree, wheelspin would be a good wobble button, like in C2

randomness