You are here

Some final thoughts about finally final game. Further direction

flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Some final thoughts about finally final game. Further direction
#1 Submitted: Sun, 27/11/2016 - 17:47

So, after playing max damage for some time, I'm glad that it reached this stage of being a finished normal game. After witnessing all development process and now playing the final product it got me thinking...
Stainless did not think that it will be so difficult to get the game running smoothly and porting it to the consoles and therefore some optimizations/compromises had to be made. While the game is running smoothly now and the controls are quite fine I see that complexity damage modeling and object physics have been reduced and it is fine because game is fun and MP is even more fun and it works! But when I was thinking about new carma and waiting these 10 years, I always thought about few things that were most important for me in Carma 2, it was vehicle damage and huge movable objects in environments, so I thought that if we ever see new carmageddon made by the original developer, then these things will be even more amazing because off all the computing power new machines have, but it turns out as graphics evolve they eat up way more resources and then we don't see such a big step in physics. The damage in some aspects is inferior to C2, also C2 had huge movable objects which would create chaos when you pick up Pinball powerup. So Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I see that this is the direction that game had to take, but I would like that if we see next carma, that it would be more focused on physics and damage modeling because graphics now are fine, maybe with new hardware and further development stainless will find a way to reintroduce the things that had to be cut due to optimization and also I think the whole physical car combat should be reworked to make more satisfactory.

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 28/11/2016 - 11:39

flykas wrote:
...I see that complexity damage modeling and object physics have been reduced...

Examples?

flykas wrote:
The damage in some aspects is inferior to C2

Only thing C2 did better IMO was car body and roof deformation in rollover crashes.

flykas wrote:
...also C2 had huge movable objects which would create chaos when you pick up Pinball powerup.

True, but I don't really care. Also there are huge objects in the game (small Island map for example).

flykas wrote:
So Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I see that this is the direction that game had to take, but I would like that if we see next carma, that it would be more focused on physics and damage modeling because graphics now are fine, maybe with new hardware and further development stainless will find a way to reintroduce the things that had to be cut due to optimization and also I think the whole physical car combat should be reworked to make more satisfactory.

For comparisons sake I played an hour of C1 and C2 last week and I wouldn't say it was more fun than C: MD at all. If you want meaty collisions play GTA 4 (not a good car destruction game, but this aspect is done quite well).

flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 28/11/2016 - 13:19

1.Well saw some objects acting less realistically, some funny movements, like they are very light or something I think its a result of optimization, but I'm not sure.

2. It had somewhat better feeling of colison between cars and also after a crash there was a 90 percent chance that something gets bent, in Max Damage there are alot of occasions when you crash and there is no damage to your car. Also C2 had some kind of nice collision between parts of the car, sometime when rear got smashed than trunk could not be closed, I liked that, also the crumpling of hood :]

3. Well, you don't care, I really care. I'd like to see what kind of mayhem could be achived. I love that in C2 after getting solid granite you could smash up thos huge planes, or drop antennas from the rooftops :]

4. For me Max Damage is more fun than C2 or C1 I'm just pointing out that they have more car on car physical combat which is fun and cars don't explode so fast and collisions usually feel better. Yeah GTA4 is ok, but its not that also it has some kind of "plow" mode where your car is a little bit heavier than other cars when you hit them.

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 29/11/2016 - 02:14

flykas wrote:
1.Well saw some objects acting less realistically, some funny movements, like they are very light or something I think its a result of optimization, but I'm not sure.

Do you mean car parts like engines and frames? They feel weightless. But it was the same in C:R. Possibly technical reasons?

flykas wrote:
...also after a crash there was a 90 percent chance that something gets bent,

I fail to see the difference to be honest. Frame bending and twisting occurs quite regulary in my game, even too regulary. Or do you mean more sensitive denting of car body?

flykas wrote:
in Max Damage there are alot of occasions when you crash and there is no damage to your car.

Environmental damage receiving has been toned down a lot from C2, that's nothing new. It was mainly done to avoid opponents killing themselves all the time, if I remember correctly.

flykas wrote:
Also C2 had some kind of nice collision between parts of the car, sometime when rear got smashed than trunk could not be closed, I liked that, also the crumpling of hood :]

Original C2 cars didn't even have flappable trunks. Hoods too, I think. Many mod cars have them, but as soon as the hood opens the hood becomes indestructible, which was annoying sometimes. This isn't the case in C: MD anymore. Also if your car is damaged or bend in C: MD you can't close the doors in many cases, too. Don't understand me wrong, I love C2 too and invested way too many hours in it (if that's possible, hehe). There are definately a few gamedesign differences between the two games and I too feel like there's still something unique to C2. It's a great physics sandbox with tons of excellent user made content. The damage modelling was still the best for me until C:R or C:MD. Stainless again, I guess. ;)

flykas wrote:
3. Well, you don't care, I really care. I'd like to see what kind of mayhem could be achived. I love that in C2 after getting solid granite you could smash up thos huge planes, or drop antennas from the rooftops :]

Ok, I mostly didn't bother to drive on the roofs for a casual round of opponent wasting. Just drive into them at any angle, no need for heavy objects. But I'm not against more heavy objects, quite the contrary. Would be nice, but not VERY important.

flykas wrote:
4. For me Max Damage is more fun than C2 or C1 I'm just pointing out that they have more car on car physical combat

Depends on what you make of it, really. You should get Psyrgery's mod, it improves things a lot, IMO.

flykas wrote:
Yeah GTA4 is ok, but its not that also it has some kind of "plow" mode where your car is a little bit heavier than other cars when you hit them.

It has trucks and buses...No Plow as far as I know, lol.