You are here

[MOD] UPDATED! Psyrgery's Damage balance tweak for C:MD Freeplay!

Pages

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Sun, 20/11/2016 - 12:49

Gee Don Killuminati, I had never got that much praise before, I feel flattened, thank you so much :)

Concerning the difficulty setting the mod is meant to be played on is the Normal difficulty. People might find it a bit too easy, but I've always felt that Carmageddon were easy games. In Classic Carmas, in tier1 or in tiers where your car has not been upgraded yet it does not take too much effort to destroy the light cars such as the Countslash, whereas more armored cars can take more time (like fighting the Twister using the Eagle, for example). Given how different classic Carmas dealt with damage balancing, my aim was to make Max Damage "feel" closer to classic carmas, not make it just the same.

In Max Damage, the speed is almost the most important factor when dealing damage, which plays against the player. Opponents are much, much faster than the player car, so much that I reduced their speed to a 40% and they still are faster than a non-upgraded player car. Plus, there was the wall-ricochet effect that deals too much damage to your car, even after only being rubbed by an opponent, the game "tags" your car for an "x" amount of seconds in which you will be severely damaged if you hit a wall. It's strange because opponents do not seem to be afected.

Plus, opponent AI is way more aggressive than in previous Carma. I just don't get the "An opponent will always be chasing the player to keep him busy" thing, it does not feel right imho. I think using some kind of custom AI patterns for different opponents would be interesting, such as some opponents being more aggressive or passive than others. The sum of all of that (Speed = more damage, aggressive AI, opponents being always faster and wall-ricochet damage multiplayer) is what makes C:MD so frustrating to play in Freeplay mode, which is the mode everyone should play for a quick and satisfactory game, not seeing your credits into the great negatives by being constantly ganged up by fast opponents that deal too much damage to have any fun at all.

Anyway, the mod is still under constant tweaking in order to make it different for different players!

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 225
Submitted: Sun, 20/11/2016 - 13:57

Psyrgery wrote:
In Max Damage, the speed is almost the most important factor when dealing damage, which plays against the player. Opponents are much, much faster than the player car, so much that I reduced their speed to a 40% and they still are faster than a non-upgraded player car.

Wow, really? I always wondered why even the Volkswrecker is faster than my light super sports car. Thought they're clearly faster than me, but not this much. Though I'm playing with max power on most cars. AI obviously has "cheat engine", hehe.

Psyrgery wrote:
Plus, there was the wall-ricochet effect that deals too much damage to your car, even after only being rubbed by an opponent, the game "tags" your car for an "x" amount of seconds in which you will be severely damaged if you hit a wall. It's strange because opponents do not seem to be afected.

They are affected. I even was annoyed sometimes, that they'd kill themselves easily through a reverse in a building or wall after touched them. Doesn't feel very rewarding. It has to happen in a more natural way. If they'd sustain only 20 % to 30 % of the damage as it is now, I would be ok with it. Because than, they at least need to be in a bad shape to kill themselves that way.

Psyrgery wrote:
Plus, opponent AI is way more aggressive than in previous Carma. I just don't get the "An opponent will always be chasing the player to keep him busy" thing, it does not feel right imho.

I don't get it too, because strangely it rarely happens to me in Freeplay Classic Carma. Most of the time the idiots are battling for 30-45 seconds with me only to drive away and return in 1 or 2 minutes to battle for 30 seconds again. Or they're just driving around the track. Do they fear me or what, lol? I'd say the AI should be even more aggressive. Sure, AI is more agile and better than in previous Carmas, but not any more aggressive. But maybe my memory is wrong and I just set their aggressiveness higher back then. ;)

Psyrgery wrote:
I think using some kind of custom AI patterns for different opponents would be interesting, such as some opponents being more aggressive or passive than others.

That would be ideal. Funny thing is, I always felt like some opponents in C2 were more aggressive than others, especially Abba Cab. This guy was a pain in the butt. You couldn't even knock him out (stun) with heavy blows sometimes, it was crazy.

Psyrgery wrote:
The sum of all of that (Speed = more damage, aggressive AI, opponents being always faster and wall-ricochet damage multiplayer) is what makes C:MD so frustrating to play in Freeplay mode, which is the mode everyone should play for a quick and satisfactory game, not seeing your credits into the great negatives by being constantly ganged up by fast opponents that deal too much damage to have any fun at all.

Hmmm, I didn't experience any of this very commonly (except the higher opponent speed), but I see where you are coming from. It's definately more "relaxing" with your balancing and it may even suit the game better in the long run. No cheap deaths for player and AI is good.

Psyrgery wrote:
Anyway, the mod is still under constant tweaking in order to make it different for different players!

You mean like in the sense of customization options? That would be great!

The Don Killuminati's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Posts: 2
Submitted: Sun, 20/11/2016 - 18:39

Psyrgery wrote:
Gee Don Killuminati, I had never got that much praise before, I feel flattened, thank you so much :)

Hahaha, just giving credit where credit is due. Keep up the work and I look forward to future updates ;)

Edited by: The Don Killuminati on Sun, 20/11/2016 - 18:40
Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Fri, 21/04/2017 - 20:23

Hey guys!

After lots of tweaking and messing with many configurations files, rather than updating my old tweaks I decided to work on another set of tweaks based on comments from the Steam discussion forum. I've seen recent activity of people complaining about messy handling (this never gets old doesn't it) and decided I would make the game feel more "arcade". And thus, CARCADEmageddon tweaks was born!

It's still an experimental file which reuses part of my old balacing tweaks and that will be scrapped and used as reference for making a better mod in the future.

Anyway, before I scrapped this I decided I would share it with you guys and get some feedback from you guys.

Download it here!

(I've also replaced the old link from the OP, which was broken due to Dropbox having modified their file sharing politics)

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

panic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 129
Submitted: Sat, 13/05/2017 - 20:01

This just made the game near perfect for me (if only they'd let us use mod cars as opponents?), i can't believe i missed this thread. Brilliant work, i just had a 20 minute banger battle with ed hunter and grimm brothers in the carrerasaur and it was all so satisfying to see the cars slowly get banged up without weird shit happening.

Gunsmith's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Posts: 57
Submitted: Mon, 15/05/2017 - 10:27

Psyrgery wrote:
Hey guys!

I decided to work on another set of tweaks based on comments from the Steam discussion forum.

I wouldn't waste your efforts pandering to the steam forums, the stupid there will literally give you eye cancer.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Posts: 2997
Submitted: Mon, 15/05/2017 - 12:05

Gunsmith wrote:
I wouldn't waste your efforts pandering to the steam forums, the stupid there will literally give you eye cancer.

That's the truth right there. Just have to look at the amount of people who still complain in the Reincarnation forums about the game not running and are completely ignorant of Max Damage's existence.

flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 402
Submitted: Sat, 03/06/2017 - 11:40

Hey, I tired out this tweak. It is pretty cool. Maybe a bit easy to play, but it reminds more of C2 where you have more time to explore when other aren't constantly chasing you. Also you git rid of that very annoying fall damage when opponent touches your car, that was the worst thing.

But I wanted to ask, did you do something to gravity ? Or I am imagining it. Somehow it feels that cars are able to jump further..

ZeMantras's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Posts: 32
Submitted: Sat, 22/07/2017 - 15:17

i have been trying this Mod! infact i just kinda registered here to comment on your work.

thank god someone is tweaking the damage system in this game, damage system in max damage is fuckedup :( my biggest issue with the game is beeing worked on! thnksss! i hate it wen the enemies just slightly touch u, u hit a wall with almost no speed and almost die, i was starting to believe the damage system was badly broken.

With your mod this issue no longer happens! Unfortunately i have to say the game is too easy now, even playing on hard with no powerups is way too easy. I endup finishing a game almost not repairing my vehicle and I no longer fear the biggest meanest vehicles :(
ATM trying to remove all my vec upgrades to see if i get some better balance.

hmm be careful with the steam comments, the place is total cancer, most of the people there are still bitching about " muuuh controls"
thnks for taking on the task in tweaking the much needed damage system

EDIT: So I removed most of my Armor and offensive upgrades, setting armor to no upgrade and offensive to 1 or 2 and the engine set to max or almost max, in most vehicles made it alot more enjoyable :D cant thank enough for your scripts

Edited by: ZeMantras on Sat, 22/07/2017 - 16:44
Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Wed, 26/07/2017 - 04:47

Geez ZeMantras, thanks for the kind words :D

Glad that it actually made our experience with the game better!

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Pages

randomness