So, after much testing and tweaking, my tweak for balacing damage dealt/taken in Freeplay mode is finally here!
Of course, given how C:MD deals with the ZAD files you'll need to drop this tweaked scripts.ZAD into your Carmageddon Max Damage/ZAD/ folder and replace the old one (always make a backup!) with the new one. Of course, you will be blocked from playing multiplayer and getting owned by Front/STS/Saicor and the other guys unless you use the vanilla scripts.zad file.
So, what's included in this mod?
- Improved damage balance. Offense is increased in your car and decreased on your opponents. You can still be wrecked but it's not as frustrating as before.
- Say goodbye to unfair and cheap deaths when hitting a wall after being rubbed or hit by an opponent. The wall-ricochet effect that dealt shitloads of damage to your car has been reduced to a tiny % of what it used to be, increasing survivavility by a great amount (your opponents can benefit as well)
- Your opponents are now much slower (reduced to a 45% of how fast they were before). No longer you will see how the slowest car can leave you in the dust at the start of the race, they feel much closer to how they would drive if controlled by the player.
- Cars have been tweaked according to their Mass. A small % of damage have been added to cars in relation to their weight. The Eagle R has a 13% increase in damage due to its 1.300Kg weight, The Plow has a 60% increase in damage due to its 6000kg. weight. IMHO, after much testing, I think it makes cars more balanced in general. The Eagle (driven by the player) can now take on Crazor (driven by the AI), but Crazor can deal a shitload of damage to the Eagle if it hits the later hard enough, which makes the player confident enough to fight it but having to be focused so as not to make mistakes and get wrecked.
- Car splitting is 50% harder to pull off. It felt a bit easy and fake before, but now it feels as an accomplishment when you pull it off, as in Carmageddon 2.
- Given the way this tweak works, now you will benefit more from crushing your opponents into walls, just like in ol' Carmageddon 1.
I think that sums it up for now, your feedback will be much appreciated and please kindly ignore spelling errors in this posts