You are here

[MOD] UPDATED! Psyrgery's Damage balance tweak for C:MD Freeplay!

Pages

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
[MOD] UPDATED! Psyrgery's Damage balance tweak for C:MD Freeplay!
#1 Submitted: Sun, 13/11/2016 - 23:34

So, after much testing and tweaking, my tweak for balacing damage dealt/taken in Freeplay mode is finally here!

Of course, given how C:MD deals with the ZAD files you'll need to drop this tweaked scripts.ZAD into your Carmageddon Max Damage/ZAD/ folder and replace the old one (always make a backup!) with the new one. Of course, you will be blocked from playing multiplayer and getting owned by Front/STS/Saicor and the other guys unless you use the vanilla scripts.zad file.

Here's the link to download the new tweaks.

So, what's included in this mod?

- Improved damage balance. Offense is increased in your car and decreased on your opponents. You can still be wrecked but it's not as frustrating as before.
- Say goodbye to unfair and cheap deaths when hitting a wall after being rubbed or hit by an opponent. The wall-ricochet effect that dealt shitloads of damage to your car has been reduced to a tiny % of what it used to be, increasing survivavility by a great amount (your opponents can benefit as well)
- Your opponents are now much slower (reduced to a 45% of how fast they were before). No longer you will see how the slowest car can leave you in the dust at the start of the race, they feel much closer to how they would drive if controlled by the player.
- Cars have been tweaked according to their Mass. A small % of damage have been added to cars in relation to their weight. The Eagle R has a 13% increase in damage due to its 1.300Kg weight, The Plow has a 60% increase in damage due to its 6000kg. weight. IMHO, after much testing, I think it makes cars more balanced in general. The Eagle (driven by the player) can now take on Crazor (driven by the AI), but Crazor can deal a shitload of damage to the Eagle if it hits the later hard enough, which makes the player confident enough to fight it but having to be focused so as not to make mistakes and get wrecked.
- Car splitting is 50% harder to pull off. It felt a bit easy and fake before, but now it feels as an accomplishment when you pull it off, as in Carmageddon 2.
- Given the way this tweak works, now you will benefit more from crushing your opponents into walls, just like in ol' Carmageddon 1.

I think that sums it up for now, your feedback will be much appreciated and please kindly ignore spelling errors in this posts

Edited by: Psyrgery on 21/04/2017 - 20:53

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

B.A.'s picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 274
Submitted: Mon, 14/11/2016 - 07:16

Seems pretty neat to me. I really love the game don't get me wrong, but damage balances and didn't give me the true Carmageddon feel, so that's why I stopped playing the game so soon. Even full spec I could not destroy any vehicle with the CU:NT, but another CU:NT would wreck me when I'm driving in Don Dumpster.

And comparing to walls, cars feel like soft cushions.

Still love the rest of the game design though!

Did not read your link, but is this available for Ps4?

Thanks a lot!

Torque: Dragging opponents into your problems since Carmageddon 1

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Mon, 14/11/2016 - 13:59

Sorry B.A. I don't think there's an easy way to mod the PS4 C:MD, my mod only works on the Pc game

But yeah, the damage balance in the game is a bit off and far less fun than in previous Carmageddons

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Posts: 2997
Submitted: Mon, 14/11/2016 - 15:49

Yeah the PS4 version isn't moddable at all.

Psyrgery, could you repack only the moddifed scripts into a new zad file and distribute that with the instructions to just rename the original scripts.zad to scripts_main.zad and place the mod's zad in the ZAD folder?

As I mentioned in the blood mod threads, altering the original ZAD files and redistrubiting the entire file is very bad. Modded files should always be in their own ZAD files for maximum compatibility and efficiency.

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 225
Submitted: Mon, 14/11/2016 - 16:31

Psyrgery wrote:
Sorry B.A. I don't think there's an easy way to mod the PS4 C:MD, my mod only works on the Pc gameBut yeah, the damage balance in the game is a bit off and far less fun than in previous Carmageddons

Damage balancing is a lot better than in C:R, but not quite as it was in the old Carmas. Interestingly I found the easy difficulty to be the most similar to earlier games, so I'm not ashamed to admit to stick to it, at least in Freeplay. You still get wrecked more easily than in C1/C2, but I feel like that's what it should have been in the first place in C1/C2 too. In the old games the player was always OP, whereas in C: MD the AI seems to have the edge stats wise. But contrary to C:R the opponents still receive damage from a head on crash (how much depends on vehicle/speed), even if they were favored (i. e. faster). That's more like C2 and C1 was.

The enormous amount of damage the AI or the player receives for crashes with solid objects is sometimes indeed over the top, but more often than not it's hilarious, I think. Or opponents splitting themselves in reverse, hehe. BTW splitting was far easier to achieve in C2. It happened so often, you could call it regular. It's already toned down in C: MD, IMO.

For the moment I'm relatively ok with the balancing, but I'll try your mod out, if I'm tired of it. I used it too in C: R and it was very needed.

Edited by: Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine on Mon, 14/11/2016 - 16:32
Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Mon, 14/11/2016 - 16:48

Trent wrote:
Yeah the PS4 version isn't moddable at all.

Psyrgery, could you repack only the moddifed scripts into a new zad file and distribute that with the instructions to just rename the original scripts.zad to scripts_main.zad and place the mod's zad in the ZAD folder?

As I mentioned in the blood mod threads, altering the original ZAD files and redistrubiting the entire file is very bad. Modded files should always be in their own ZAD files for maximum compatibility and efficiency.

Thanks for the suggestion Trent, will do as soom as I get home

EDIT: Changed the old link with a new one including the original scripts.zad

Edited by: Psyrgery on Mon, 14/11/2016 - 21:27

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 225
Submitted: Tue, 15/11/2016 - 22:30

Actually decided to give this a try for a change after playing C: MD excessively the last 2 weeks or so and yeah, it's very good. To be honest, I even was a bit exhausted of the game in the last few days, but this mod makes it feel fresh again. Opponents seem to take a bit more damage, so I can enjoy the damage and damage progression more on them. Also player car durabilty has notably increased, so it's more like C1 or C2 in that regard, good work indeed! Now it's even a bit too easy on normal, hehe. Also I'm a bit baffled that a weight formula like the clever one from you isn't already in C: MD. It certainly would make sense IMO and weight was a major factor for damage output potential in the old Carmas anyway. Applying only an offensive value to give the cars power feels a bit...unnatural.

Additionally I fiddled a bit with Trent's Supermod for C: R and now I can enjoy the best features of this mod too, in C: MD. Looking forward to an official release of the Supermod for C:MD anyway, but I guess the Minge tool is priority at the moment and I was a bit impatient today, hehe.

Thanks Psyrgery and also Trent!

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Wed, 16/11/2016 - 07:01

Thanks for your comments Fuelinjector!

Anyways, yesterday I found out that the mod is messing with the lighter cars (1 ton and below), non-upgraded light cars not only are too fragile, but they take damage when hitting other cars, it's likely that I'll have to remade the tweaks from scratch.

As for the way older Carmageddons handled damage, I've always felt that the games were meant to be easy in order to be "enjoyable" in my humble opinion. Not only is the feeling of "winning" satisfactory, but slowly turning your opponents into small cubes of scrap, or splitting them in half while enjoying the freedom the game offered is what a Carmageddon is all about. I understand that there's people out there looking for a challenge and I've always thought that having different choices of difficulties is better aimed at different crowds. The way C:MD handles damage is not difficult, but unfair and frustrating: Opponents seem to hit you harder than you, AI is a lot of times cheap and gang up on you, and being pinned against a wall is death. If an opponent ever rubs you while you're on mid-air and land on the floor, you're going to take a ton of damage...

Anyways, before I work on the new tweak I've uploaded a newer tweak, which is the same as the old one but now includes a new one with lower gravity, in order to make the game feel even closer than C1/C2

Thanks once again for the comments Fuelinjector!

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 225
Submitted: Wed, 16/11/2016 - 14:14

Psyrgery wrote:
Anyways, yesterday I found out that the mod is messing with the lighter cars (1 ton and below), non-upgraded light cars not only are too fragile, but they take damage when hitting other cars, it's likely that I'll have to remade the tweaks from scratch.

Oh ok, didn't notice that so far. I've played with the Buggy and 3 Armor and seemed ok.

Psyrgery wrote:
As for the way older Carmageddons handled damage, I've always felt that the games were meant to be easy in order to be "enjoyable" in my humble opinion. Not only is the feeling of "winning" satisfactory, but slowly turning your opponents into small cubes of scrap, or splitting them in half while enjoying the freedom the game offered is what a Carmageddon is all about. I understand that there's people out there looking for a challenge and I've always thought that having different choices of difficulties is better aimed at different crowds. The way C:MD handles damage is not difficult, but unfair and frustrating: Opponents seem to hit you harder than you, AI is a lot of times cheap and gang up on you, and being pinned against a wall is death. If an opponent ever rubs you while you're on mid-air and land on the floor, you're going to take a ton of damage...

Yeah, Carmageddon was never a particulary difficult game, it was all about the fun and the possibilities of the physics sandbox. At best it was a slightly bigger challenge if you faced big guys with small, light cars, but even that was doable.

The AI in C:MD might be a bit unfair or gang up on you, but wasn't it the same in C1/C2? Only difference is the AI in C:MD actually fucks you up, if you're not careful or fast enough. Also I like the falling damage, to be honest. Makes for nice wrecks and it's usually the opponents fate, not my, hehe. I miss these kind of crashes a bit with the mod. Maybe you could increase the damage a bit for next release? Or eventually I can set it up for myself.

Psyrgery wrote:
Anyways, before I work on the new tweak I've uploaded a newer tweak, which is the same as the old one but now includes a new one with lower gravity, in order to make the game feel even closer than C1/C2

Will definately try this one out!.

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 698
Submitted: Wed, 16/11/2016 - 22:22

Okay, just updated the mod, you can download it from the first post :D

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

The Don Killuminati's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Posts: 2
Submitted: Sat, 19/11/2016 - 07:23

I decided to give your balance tweak a go and I must say this is pretty damn perfect. Even though I didn't hate the default damage settings as much, your tweaked settings are a godsend. Every hit feels so much more meaningful now and I'm no longer scared out of my mind when in close proximity of a wall or an opponent hahah.

-I do wonder how this tweak will affect power ups though.

-Also, for your testing environment what difficulty do you play on? I'm on hard and it still feels amazing, but I don't know how much the difficulty will effect the feel of the tweak.

I created this account just to say thanks for taking the time and creating this tweak, It feels like a completely different game now!! ;)

Pages

randomness