You are here

Object draw distance [Fixed - solution inside]

Pages

Gunsmith's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Tue, 31/10/2017 - 11:00

CzechDeath wrote:
LOLZ it fucked up the culling entirelly! peds are gone and most of the details on the cars are also POOF. what the fuck is this suppose to be? =D

Well not improvement

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184000877

/sigh

copy paste this clerner version into your misc maps and try again.

https://pastebin.com/FgWvrmrc

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Tue, 31/10/2017 - 11:12

Gunsmith wrote:
CzechDeath wrote:
LOLZ it fucked up the culling entirelly! peds are gone and most of the details on the cars are also POOF. what the fuck is this suppose to be? =D

Well not improvement

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184000877

/sigh

copy paste this clerner version into your misc maps and try again.

https://pastebin.com/FgWvrmrc

Keep your sighs dude =D we are all friends here.

It's what I did. unless you really mean copy paste in to and not over, resulting in duplication of everything.

*EDIT*
Wellp It works now =D TY cheers and remember chinice medicine teaches about benefits of breathing with our nose ;)

Edited by: CzechDeath on Tue, 31/10/2017 - 11:30

Gunsmith's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Tue, 31/10/2017 - 12:48

well at least its working now

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Tue, 31/10/2017 - 15:01

Gunsmith wrote:
well at least its working now

=D c'mon man I'm your loyal subscriber on youtube =3

krudanze's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 08/11/2017 - 08:36

wouldnt there by any chance be such magic trick for re-enabling the car lights shadows too?

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Wed, 08/11/2017 - 10:49

krudanze wrote:
wouldnt there by any chance be such magic trick for re-enabling the car lights shadows too?

That unfortunately is locked deep within SDK at this point. There was live disscussion amongst modders for some time regarding exactly this lack of shadowcasting. Unfortunatly only discovery produced by that, was that it cannot be enabled by any mod or script. =C

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 09/11/2017 - 17:15

Quote:
That unfortunately is locked deep within SDK at this point. There was live disscussion amongst modders for some time regarding exactly this lack of shadowcasting. Unfortunatly only discovery produced by that, was that it cannot be enabled by any mod or script. =C

By any chance, they didn't happen to mention that the absence of shadows from dynamic sources is a result of the Umbra configs?

Spoiler: Without Umbra Config

Spoiler: With Umbra Config

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 09/11/2017 - 23:55

AW mah LAWD! We need this so much!

Shame that I have no idea what even are umbra configs, what is umbra? What-where am I ? Hello?! MOM?

EDIT*

Also Mike u gonna have to ask Trent or somthin'

Edited by: CzechDeath on Fri, 10/11/2017 - 00:13

krudanze's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 10/11/2017 - 07:50

WHAT! what is this umbra config? where can i find it and kill it?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Fri, 10/11/2017 - 11:57

Good find, Mike. I hadn't even considered Umbra might be related to the issue but it makes pretty good sense.

For those who don't know: Umbra is the middleware which the game uses for occlusion culling, or determining which objects are visible in the scene to decide whether to draw them or not.

As far as my own investigations went I could see the lights were still set to cast shadows and the graphics settings still had them enabled and everything else pointed to it being either a bug in the rendering code not drawing the shadows or a deliberate "optimization" in the graphics pipeline. It never occurred to me that Umbra might be culling everything from the headlight's lightmap rendering.

Removing the Umbra setup script (Data_Core\Levels\[Level_Name]\Umbra\setup.lol) does give you headlights but that is NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD EVER DO in most of the game's levels for one very good reason: it destroys the framerate. My i7 6700k with GTX1080 doesn't dip below 100fps on Outskirts, but removing the Umbra script and thus disabling culling entirely drops it to below 10fps. That's not even due to the GPU being pushed too hard, without culling the GPU is actually used less than with culling enabled, it doesn't hit more than 30% usage because the game is trying to make far too many draw calls each frame causing both the CPU and GPU to spend a lot of time idle while they wait for each other to respond.

The issue is clearly in the TOME files which controls how Umbra culls the scenes. Being a propitiatory middleware this is a bit of a blackbox, I haven't come across any tools to edit the files or information about the structure of them. I would assume there's some culling plane settings in there which determine shadow culling but I've got no idea where those settings would live in the files and at a few megabytes a piece they're not easy to skim through. It would be handy if I could find some good info about the format somewhere :/

Pages