The mysteries of Carma forum NICKs!

Pages

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
The mysteries of Carma forum NICKs!
#1 Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:12

Hello!

I was always quite intrigued by the amazing creativity behind what people call themselves online.

Some are funny, some deep and most trollsome! =D I'd like to ask you, people of the carmageddon forum, to share here the origin story of your nicks, if you'd like to!

I for one will sure read thru that and hopefully solve the mysteries behind some nicks =D

Perhaps I should be the first tho so here is how my nick formed:

================CzechDeath:Origin story===============

When I was 15 I was playing lot of half-life deathmatch and even painkiller later. I was switching nicks very often as I was never happy with the one I used at the time.

One day I decided to create "life long" nick for me. After long hours of serious brain sweating, at this ridiculous and useless thing It finally hit me.

In late 1990s there was topic of massive techno parties in czech republic, people were basically going Woodstock - only listening to hardcore techno, they called it CzechTech.

I admired how easy to remember that is, seeing how media spreaded the usual propaganda about how the youngsters are going out of controll. I've decided to parody that,

But Czech*what?* ... And since I was playing online - killing other players, I decided to be all tough and intimidating and went with jouvinal and somewhat dumb "CzechDeath"

I even made little czech flag with grim reaper as spray logo. However since I'm not strong in any kind of nationalism. I later, upon playing DOOM3, ripped some textures of blood sprites, out of the game files and I've created the CzechDeath, written in blood, so when I spray it on the wall in HL and HL2 dm it looks like some mad person just utterly massacred somebody, in that ingame world and wrote their signature in victim's blood.

===========THE END=============

So there =D what is your story? =D Dont be shy and share it! I want to know =D

Edited by: CzechDeath on 21/07/2016 - 12:03

shane's picture
Community Manager
Stainless
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:26

Mines a little boring :)

Though my other two names I go by are shane1090 and Bafrage. shane1090 kinda stuck after I was trying to signup to a website and my name was taken and it suggested 'shane1090'. Again pretty boring!

My other name Bafrage was actually a randomly generated when I first started playing my first MMO, Final Fantasy 11. If you couldn't think of a name you could click a button and it would generate one. This was the first one it came up with! The name kinda stuck and I use it pretty much exclusively for MMO's now, mainly as it's usually always available!

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:35

Hey CzechDeath :), in the year 2000 was my only real take on the world I had moved out of home finally and was saying at my mum's now X boyfriends place, anyways i got setup with dialup lol WOW, Anyways i was online, and i knew about IRC and a program that i have always used called MIRC anyways because of that i knew people would need nicks, Now when i first started out i just tried to use my own name and stupidly enough used my last name as well.

I stayed around a couple of channels learning from people and picking up the ways to use IRC and just chatting while playing games, I came across a channel that as soon as i joined coped and pasted my full name into the Main chat window and i thought FUCK, so i closed down the program and asked a friend that was staying with me at the time Hey what you think i could call my self IE a Nick name ?.

He had a really sweet one called "Skankomelon" I thought WOW what a nick lol, But I wasn't exactly a teenager at that stage and i knew that name just would not go over with a couple of people, so i took the last part of that and added lemon to it, but where the REV come from,,, I am not sure i was thinking i needed something that told people that hey i am not just an average lemon :P so I added the Rev as in moving or car rev's to the nick calling my self the new "lemon-rev" and i have been using that since day 5 of the internets :P

Had a good couple of laughs with guys on the net over the nick but all is well and that's how i got my nick :)

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:54

Mine is an Alias from my previous role as vocalist and guitarist (one of) in a Black Metal Band. The band's ideology was to communicate old English lore in a folk / black metal format, with themes of ancient history, factual or otherwise complete fiction / legend.

Nickname is loosely based on Ancient English Language and the Anglo Saxon Runic Alphabet. It is a mixture of:

Ri - Generally meaning Lord / Leader

Orus - Anglo Saxon rune of Strength, also identified as 'Ur' 'Uruz' and 'Aurochs' in varying records of Old Norse / English and Germanic. I've never troubled myself over it's exact literal translation, more the purpose of adopting it as a stage alias.

Simply put, it means 'Lord Strength'.

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:54

haha Shane bafrage? That is some cool random generated name then %D hehe

"lemon-rev" ooOOOOh so that's why the rev then =D

Thanks for sharing =D!

the nicks are part of one's identity =D an online image.

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:58

RiOrus

%D LordOrus could also work as translation, no? Since Ore is pretty strong and tough too =D! another great origin story ! thanks!=D

Edited by: CzechDeath on Thu, 21/07/2016 - 11:58

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 12:19

Mine is quite boring too. One drunk night a dozen years ago a friend decided I looked like I should be called Trent and it stuck.

YautjaLord's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 12:47

Yautja: one the Predator classes, others are Hish & those unknown types from thar piece of mediocricy called Predators. Lord: my take on Emperor, simply put King Predator, but that would be some boring shit, so yeah.... :) YautjaLord.

YautjaLord's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 12:47

Yautja: one of the Predator classes, others are Hish & those unknown types from thar piece of mediocricy called Predators. Lord: my take on Emperor, simply put King Predator, but that would be some boring shit, so yeah.... :) YautjaLord.

Edited by: YautjaLord on Thu, 21/07/2016 - 12:49

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 13:17

Quote:
Mine is quite boring too. One drunk night a dozen years ago a friend decided I looked like I should be called Trent and it stuck.

I originally thought that your nickname had something to do with the band Terence Trent D'Arby.

History surrounding my nickname is immensely exciting unsurprising. I use to use the name 'Bandit' in most games as I was obsessed with Smokey & the Bandit. When I came to create my first online alias for the Crashday Forums, I had not-long discovered the Mad Max movies, so 'Mad Mike' was born, and it has stuck.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

STShotgun's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Twitch Champ
Submitted: Thu, 21/07/2016 - 13:31

Well my one is a mix of two different things, the Shotgun Bastard part (since my full username is STShotgunBastard, though it's shortened to STShotgun here since the full one would be a bit long :p) actually came from a specific part of one of the stage shows for the comedy TV series, Bottom.

The 'ST' part on the other hand came from the name of a multiplayer-centric Doom source port, Skulltag, which I used to play religiously years ago :p

Welp, so there ya have it :P

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass."

C:R & C:MD Compilation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FrYLN6Bfg
Modding thread: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29467

Pages