You are here

[NEWS] Carmageddon: Max Damage OUT NOW!

Pages

shane's picture
Community Manager
Stainless
[NEWS] Carmageddon: Max Damage OUT NOW!
#1 Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 10:20

CU:NTY McCU:NTFACE! Would you believe what we just did? We’ve only gone and FUCKING launched Carmageddon: Max Damage on PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One!

Read the rest of this article here and comment below.

Edited by: shane on 01/11/2016 - 12:19
Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 11:22

Congratulations to everyone at Stainless! After all of the extra work, the glorious day of console release has finally come. :)

I hope everyone playing on console enjoys the game. Hopefully it will be a big success, so Stainless can continue to extend the game, and develop the Carmageddon brand further.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

baz4096's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 11:33

Now you can get back to Carma:Reincarnation DRM-free version?

Would be nice to wrap up those kickstarter loose ends from 2013...

Legomeaker101's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 12:15

WHY No UsA PSN?

if cars aren't meant to crash why do they have air bags?

nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 12:52

The US Playstation Store doesn't have an automated system making products live. An actual person from the Sony "make games go live" department rolls into work, sits themselves down at their desk, and clicks the "make these games go live" button. So, we're estimating that the game will show up on the store some time after the good folk of Sony get in for work, on US West Coast time (currently 5.50 am, as I type this).

I was in the war.

0takumetalhead's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 13:59

Absolutely stunning game.

Annoys me kinda that reviewers think otherwise (since they miss the point of Carmageddon appearantly...), but eh. C:MD is amazing.

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus.
Wish I could change username *grumble grumble*

MrDeviance's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 15:20

0takumetalhead wrote:
Absolutely stunning game.

Annoys me kinda that reviewers think otherwise (since they miss the point of Carmageddon appearantly...), but eh. C:MD is amazing.

They definitely do miss the point of the game. At least most of the modern reviewers do.
However, this game, as well as well as it's previous versions from the pc, could have been executed much better if only there would have been more money for the project.
It has been outdated looking and feeling in almost every department, ever since day one and no matter how much detail has been added and how much optimization, it is still not a 2016 looking game, far from it.
If it would have also been at least a 2013ish - 2014ish looking game it would have won the whole crowd...
The success in games with outdated graphics is usually when they have flawlessly fun and revolutionary gameplay or an epic story progression.
Carmageddon has an old formula for gameplay that it has invented back in the 90's and which it carries over to this game and does it very well in some aspects but not in all of them.
Gta 5 has managed to steal some important aspects of carmageddon's gameplay and do them much better for this day and age sadly.
That is where carmageddon loses it's power to impress the GTA 5 obsessed gamers of today.
I have a 30 year old mate that played carmageddon 1 and 2 back in the day with me but was never a fan like I was.
Today, he still plays games but he moved entirely to ps4 and doesn't touch pcs anymore, due to being lazy and having very little time to buy and configure a pc(in his words)
He ignorantly told me that GTA 5 is carmageddon and more. So this tells me that the general thinking pattern of the gamer masses, tend to fall in this trap and there seems to be no way around it.
The passing of time and lack of high budgets, seems to have cornered Carmageddon and place it in a situation where it's key features that make it fun, can only be seen and experienced by us few old carma fans and by those few new gamers that have enough patience to play the actual game and experience it.
With the lack of patience and a flooded market, very little people have time to experiment with a new game, enough to see if it's actually good and they much rather get bored of it after the first 5 minutes and pick it apart if it dares to not look 2016ish or if it dares to not run flawless at all times.
Reincarnation shot itself in the foot with optimization problems and in reality it should have probably been delayed until now and have just one game on all 3 platforms instead of two games.
C:MD in theory, should bring at least half the cash that reincarnation should have gotten if it weren't plagued by performance problems and horrible reviews.
In practice, I don't see it happening if I am to look at the first reviews.
I'm afraid that unless the next carmageddon game will magically have a budget that is 3 - 4 times bigger than this one, there just won't be big scores in reviews.
Hope for the best, good luck.

Edited by: MrDeviance on Fri, 08/07/2016 - 15:25
Legomeaker101's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 15:24

us psn has max damage YAY

if cars aren't meant to crash why do they have air bags?

FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 15:24

10/10 best game

cant wait to play it on PC

CrapShoot's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 16:00

I've been looking at a lot of MD streams on YouTube and I think the game looks great! Performance and graphics look greatly improved; there are more cars and environments and the environments now look more dynamic with the different time of day and weather-y differences which IMO goes a long way in setting the right mood.

However, I have now seen two reviews and both were kinda negative. I agree to some points, mainly about the camera, but others are just completely wrong IMO. For instance the graphics and car handling are being criticised. One "reviewer" even calls it a cash-in. I really don't know what is wrong with these people. For some reason they seem to let every moron be a video game reviewer nowadays.

On the other hand, the actual game play streams show that everyone is having a great time with the game which gives hope.

Keep up the good work Stainless!

Edited by: CrapShoot on Fri, 08/07/2016 - 16:04
0takumetalhead's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Fri, 08/07/2016 - 16:08

MrDeviance wrote:
They definitely do miss the point of the game. At least most of the modern reviewers do.
However, this game, as well as well as it's previous versions from the pc, could have been executed much better if only there would have been more money for the project.

I have to admit. Until a month or 2 ago I was afraid C:MD would just be as badly optimised as Reincarnation was. The devs being very transparent about the game being played on a PS4 during livestreams did help alot however. That said, I cannot disagree with you. While I think that the game is fine for what it is, it is stil kind of rough around the corners (althought I have yet to run into slowdown myself).

MrDeviance wrote:
It has been outdated looking and feeling in almost every department, ever since day one and no matter how much detail has been added and how much optimization, it is still not a 2016 looking game, far from it.
If it would have also been at least a 2013ish - 2014ish looking game it would have won the whole crowd...
The success in games with outdated graphics is usually when they have flawlessly fun and revolutionary gameplay or an epic story progression.
Carmageddon has an old formula for gameplay that it has invented back in the 90's and which it carries over to this game and does it very well in some aspects but not in all of them.

Graphics wise, it is fine, though the black outline on the barrels is kinda jarring. Carmageddon 2 wasn't exactly a looker either, Carmageddon 1 aged better honestly. Of course, I can't speak for everyone but graphics were never the main point in the series imo. And it runs on the same engine as Carma2 iirc, so I think this is a case of budget constraints and tech. Personally, gameplay wise I'm glad it stayed close to the classics but considering everything needs to innovate nowadays, yeah, no wonder it is a turn off for some.

MrDeviance wrote:
Gta 5 has managed to steal some important aspects of carmageddon's gameplay and do them much better for this day and age sadly.
That is where carmageddon loses it's power to impress the GTA 5 obsessed gamers of today.
I have a 30 year old mate that played carmageddon 1 and 2 back in the day with me but was never a fan like I was.
Today, he still plays games but he moved entirely to ps4 and doesn't touch pcs anymore, due to being lazy and having very little time to buy and configure a pc(in his words)
He ignorantly told me that GTA 5 is carmageddon and more. So this tells me that the general thinking pattern of the gamer masses, tend to fall in this trap and there seems to be no way around it.

(Again, I can only speak from my own perspective):
Whole other games tried to mimick Carma, they stil feel off; Carma's physics and damage model really is unique to the engine it is build on.
Though Bugbear's Flatout 2 and Ultimate Carnage come close, if set on closed circuits.
Then again, with how Reincarnation turned out at release I'm not surprised that it is atleast a factor why others are turned off by the game.

MrDeviance wrote:
The passing of time and lack of high budgets, seems to have cornered Carmageddon and place it in a situation where it's key features that make it fun, can only be seen and experienced by us few old carma fans and by those few new gamers that have enough patience to play the actual game and experience it.
With the lack of patience and a flooded market, very little people have time to experiment with a new game, enough to see if it's actually good and they much rather get bored of it after the first 5 minutes and pick it apart if it dares to not look 2016ish or if it dares to not run flawless at all times.

People are very snobby nowadays when it comes to graphics. Enough people who pass on a game jsut because it doesn't look like being released in 2016.
Of the reviews I've been reading, only one of them was honest enough to say that C:MD is potentially a grower. Others wrote it off based on graphics and handling alone.

MrDeviance wrote:
Reincarnation shot itself in the foot with optimization problems and in reality it should have probably been delayed until now and have just one game on all 3 platforms instead of two games.
C:MD in theory, should bring at least half the cash that reincarnation should have gotten if it weren't plagued by performance problems and horrible reviews.
In practice, I don't see it happening if I am to look at the first reviews.
I'm afraid that unless the next carmageddon game will magically have a budget that is 3 - 4 times bigger than this one, there just won't be big scores in reviews.
Hope for the best, good luck.

Just like Battleborn, I think that C:MD will remain a game for a niche audience at best. Most likely thanks to Reincarnation. And yeah, C:R really was released a year too early.

Anyway, I hope I didn't miss anything in your post, or undermine anything.

Edited by: 0takumetalhead on Fri, 08/07/2016 - 16:10

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus.
Wish I could change username *grumble grumble*

Pages

randomness