You are here

How I got into the vehicular destruction genre...

Pages

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 22/06/2016 - 12:51

How I got into...

Well, let's just say that I tried to ram the other cars on racing games, hitting them head-on going in the opposite direction of the track. I remember doing it in a DOS Nascar game, and then TOCA Touring Car game out and it was great to crash into other cars.

I then played Destruction Derby 2, which became my favourite for years.

I did not want to play Carmageddon until many years later because I thought it was too evil (yeah, thanks Spanish media!), but when I got to play a demo of Carmageddon2 and later got a pirate copy years ago (omg!) I became addicted to it.

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

yurrenstein12's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Wed, 22/06/2016 - 13:18

Psyrgery wrote:
Well, let's just say that I tried to ram the other cars on racing games, hitting them head-on going in the opposite direction of the track.

Cel Damage may be my first "vehicular combat" experience, but if we're gonna count race games where you can crash (into) other cars, then Burnout 3: Takedown is my first experience. Good times. I still play it to this day (same with Cel Damage).

Psyrgery wrote:
I did not want to play Carmageddon until many years later because I thought it was too evil (yeah, thanks Spanish media!)

Haha, I know that feeling. I thought the same about the GTA games back in the day. :P

Edited by: yurrenstein12 on Wed, 22/06/2016 - 13:27
Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 22/06/2016 - 20:21

Quote:
I've read about Roadkill multiple times. Looks kinda interesting. Maybe I will buy it for my Xbox some time.

I got Roadkill dirt cheap, and found it to be great fun. The car handling is a little weird but it was still great fun. There was a huge range of vehicles, offensive weapons, and a lot of different defensive weapons too. I loved the Art Style, and the licenced part of the soundtrack was perfect (April Wine, Judas Priest, King Kobra, Foreigner, Great White, Blue Oyster Cult, etc). Peds could get impaled on the car. The Tornados were a great extreme weather event.

Spoiler: Montage Video

Some of you might have noticed a some similarities between the style of my work and the style of Roadkill. That is not a co-incidence.

Quote:
Heard a lot about the Flatout games. Not really vehicular destruction games from what I have seen, but good games. Not going to get them though, because they don't have local multiplayer.

Well, demolition derbies were a hefty part of the Flatout series, so that was why I included them.

Quote:
Also heard about Test Drive: EoD, but never played it.

I consider Test Drive Eve of Destruction a spiritual successor to the Destruction Derby series. There were lots of real world events including trailer races, Figure of 8, School Bus Races, Car Soccer etc. There were lots of made up events too, such as the suicide race where one half of the pack drives one way round the track, and the other half drives in the opposite direction for maximum destruction.

Watching the driver getting thrown around the car in massive collisions was a nice touch and the dashboard/driver camera reflected that movement.

Spoiler: Montage Video

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

yurrenstein12's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 01:37

Mad Mike wrote:
I got Roadkill dirt cheap, and found it to be great fun. The car handling is a little weird but it was still great fun. There was a huge range of vehicles, offensive weapons, and a lot of different defensive weapons too. I loved the Art Style, and the licenced part of the soundtrack was perfect (April Wine, Judas Priest, King Kobra, Foreigner, Great White, Blue Oyster Cult, etc). Peds could get impaled on the car. The Tornados were a great extreme weather event.

Sounds great. I saw it has 4 player local split screen as well. Defenitely going to get it! :)

Mad Mike wrote:
Well, demolition derbies were a hefty part of the Flatout series, so that was why I included them.

I never played a Flatout game, so I didn't know that. All I knew was that it was a Burnout 3-ish game and that it has a game mode where you have to launch your driver through rings of fire and stuff.

Mad Mike wrote:
I consider Test Drive Eve of Destruction a spiritual successor to the Destruction Derby series. There were lots of real world events including trailer races, Figure of 8, School Bus Races, Car Soccer etc. There were lots of made up events too, such as the suicide race where one half of the pack drives one way round the track, and the other half drives in the opposite direction for maximum destruction.

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately it's not available on Xbox in Europe and I don't own a PS2, so I will probably never play it.

Edited by: yurrenstein12 on Thu, 23/06/2016 - 01:39
flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 07:11

Well, I think the first game vehicular combat for me was Twisted metal and demolition derby. Then I didin't even own a computer or console, I'd to the playroom, where pay money to play on console. Back then it was incredible, something insane, now I wouldn't play these games:] So later when I had a pc I discovered Carma 2 and it was amazing too, but it still is. I don't like vehicular combat games without physics, like twited metal or cell damage. Also there is a game that I play A LOT. It was 1nsane. It was off road game but there was a lot of mayhem and car combat. Also it was only game that could compete with carma 2 in terms of damage. It seems that not a lot of people know that game, but it was the first game to have soft body physics (in 2000) like beamNG has now.

Synetearis's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 09:21

Ooow yes,.. 1nsane! Played that alot.. and almost all the other games mentioned,.
My top 5 is probably;
Carma
Interstate 76
1nsane
Flatout
Destruction Derby

yurrenstein12's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 18:28

flykas wrote:
Also there is a game that I play A LOT. It was 1nsane. It was off road game but there was a lot of mayhem and car combat. Also it was only game that could compete with carma 2 in terms of damage. It seems that not a lot of people know that game, but it was the first game to have soft body physics (in 2000) like beamNG has now.

Synetearis wrote:
Ooow yes,.. 1nsane! Played that alot.. and almost all the other games mentioned,.

Hmm, never heard of 1nsane. Looks interesting.

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 24/06/2016 - 12:07

Odd... back when the forum was younger, we had threads on vehicular combat games, and nobody ever mentioned Cel Damage. And now everybody's saying that they've played it!
Well, all this talk about the game made me want to play it. And the box is literally 40cm away from me. ...Be right back.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

yurrenstein12's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Fri, 24/06/2016 - 20:47

Espyo wrote:
And now everybody's saying that they've played it!

Everybody? From what I have seen, me and STShotgun are the only ones in this thread that played it. :P

The difference is that I played the vastly superior Xbox version, and Shotgun the more crappy PS2 version.

Speaking of versions, which version have you played / are you playing?

Edited by: yurrenstein12 on Fri, 24/06/2016 - 20:51
Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 25/06/2016 - 12:23

Hey, 2 is certainly bigger than 0!
I initially played the PS2 version at a friend's house. Some years later, at home, I bought it for my trusty GameCube. That's when I learned that the two aren't quite the same. The PS2 version has a health bar and an extra level, which really confused me when I jumped into the GameCube one... I've always wanted to play back the PS2 version, but tell me, why do you think it's so crappy? Maybe I'm blinded by nostalgia and I'm forgetting some important nasty detail in the PS2 version. Also, as far as I know, the Xbox and GameCube versions are identical. (Fun fact, I snooped through the GameCube version's files and found data for the Xbox version!)

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

Pages

randomness