You are here

Reincarnation without DRM?

LittleBabyman's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Reincarnation without DRM?
#1 Submitted: Sun, 19/06/2016 - 16:15

I've been wondering about will it happen, especially now in the very late parts of Reincarnation's life cycle, as Max Damage is taking over. Reason for this is the Kickstarter's alternative $15 reward tier.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 19/06/2016 - 16:34

The general statement has always been along the lines of: the DRM free version, like the boxed version, and the Mac & Linux versions will be something that comes after the "Final Final" Steam version (Max Damage) is out.

It does remain to be seen whether or not Stainless has allocated time (and if so, how much time) towards making post launch updates/tweaks to the Steam release of Max Damage before proceeding with the DRM free version.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

deadsheep's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 19/06/2016 - 20:32

I believe we won't get a DRM-free version of Carmageddon: Reincarnation, but Carmageddon: Max Damage instead.

Makes sense since you can essentially say that Max Damage is just a "more complete" version of Reincarnation, so there's not much reason to release a DRM-free version of the "less complete" game.

Edited by: deadsheep on Sun, 19/06/2016 - 20:33
starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 19/06/2016 - 23:20

deadsheep wrote:
I believe we won't get a DRM-free version of Carmageddon: Reincarnation, but Carmageddon: Max Damage instead.

Makes sense since you can essentially say that Max Damage is just a "more complete" version of Reincarnation, so there's not much reason to release a DRM-free version of the "less complete" game.

Either case sounds good but there is some things that CMD may have that CR doesnt. Like they might have different car handling might be different , etc.

The editing of CR and CMD might be different as well. Some maps might be missing who knows.

At the time of this posting I am either doubtful, or we are going to be waiting a very long time. As of the time of this posting look how their distributor is handling things.

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 20/06/2016 - 10:54

Quote:

Since I didn't make it especially explicit it my previous post - that is what I meant. To me it is axiomatic that the "Final Final" Version is Max Damage, and that would be the version that makes its way into the DRM free version, boxed version, etc. :)

Quote:
The editing of CR and CMD might be different as well. Some maps might be missing who knows.

Cutting down on content doesn't make any sense when CMD is meant to be an improved and expanded version of CR. But, just for the sake of clarity - after reviewing all of the media available on the CMD website. You will find all CR environments are there.

Previously in CR:

Bleak City:

• - Downtown (City B)
  • - Inner City Business District (City A)
  • - Landing Pads (Arena)

Dusty Trails:

• - National Park
  • - MagNuChem Island Fracking Complex (Arena)

MagNuChem Industries

• - Acid Reprocessor
  • - Reactor Ring (Arena) - Not seen in any videos, but can be seen in images under 'plus many more..' under 'power ups'

Frosty Pass

• - Iceberg (Arena)
  • - Rig Wreck

New:

Devils Canyon (Names taken from an interview Nobby gave with gaming bolt)

• - Ill Eagle
  • - Beelzebubs Bottom (Temple Arena)
  • - Satans Tower (Arena)

EDIT: corrected wrong names.

Edited by: Mad Mike on Mon, 20/06/2016 - 11:12

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 20/06/2016 - 18:23

Mad Mike Wasnt there a "40 percent" in there somewhere ?

On a side note having 2 more arenas in the game should entirely count.

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 20/06/2016 - 18:27

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 20/06/2016 - 18:30

Yes, C:MD has all the content in C:R and 40% more new content on top. That percentage includes levels, cars, pedestrians, new content inside existing levels such as foliage, etc. If you're just counting levels then it's only 33% more levels.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 20/06/2016 - 18:41

Trent how is the remaking of old maps coming and when are you going to update Minge with that new stuff you mentioned ?

sorry as well as the Max tools .

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 20/06/2016 - 18:42

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Tue, 21/06/2016 - 18:52

They're coming along well, I need to sort out CoastB and CoastC but the rest of the levels are fully playable with everything placed correctly, working checkpoints etc. I need to go through and set up correct lighting and atmospheric settings, fix up the sky and go through making sure all the transparent materials are actually transparent for all of them and set up the map correctly for half of them. None of them crash during gameplay unlike the first release of the levels during the Pre-alpha, that was due to a few dodgy accessory.txt files. There is a nagging bug where some races crash after you finish or exit the race, but I think that is also accessory related so I'll need to investigate that. On the technical side of things I need to figure out why the race routes aren't showing correctly on the map for some but do for others, but that will probably need me to finish up the paths editing support in my 3dsmax tools to find the offending nodes and links so it will probably have to wait for the second release, the checkpoints show up at least so it's no big loss to not have lines linking them. Ped placement is 100% correct in the pedfiles but as I mentioned before I need to fix up the level geometry to make sure they all can spawn which is a huge hassle as the C1 level geometry is playing havoc with my export script. Again, that can probably wait for release 2 as peds don't matter for multiplayer and at least some peds spawn in singleplayer. Over all there's not much left to do to get a beta quality release ready.

I need to spend some time with Minge again to remember what I needed to do to get this release ready. Shouldn't be too much as I think it was just finishing the key config editing holding up the next release.

Getting my 3DSMax tools ready for a new release is a far bigger job, though. I've been implementing a lot new features (e.g. RBA, skeletal animation, level tools, etc.) but they're mostly not hooked into the UI yet or are very rough around the edges so i'll need to do some fairly big revisions to get them usable by the general public, the car tools are in the middle of being updated with all the track, many wheels, etc. features and i really really REALLY need to re-write my model import/export code as it is ridiculously slow for large scenes like levels.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 21/06/2016 - 22:39

Cool cant wait.

andreas aspenberg's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 28/08/2016 - 14:54

if it is released in a boxed version i will buy it.