You are here

Carmageddon 1 & 2 banned in Germany, AGAIN!

Pages

FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Carmageddon 1 & 2 banned in Germany, AGAIN!
#1 Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2016 - 19:46

27 games have been pulled from the german steam store, including Carmageddon Max Pack and Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now, What happened? =D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4m1fp8/27_games_get_pulled_from_steam_in_germany_likely/

Edited by: FatCat on 01/06/2016 - 19:50
Eviron's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2016 - 20:28

Yeah, as far as my understanding goes those games - in their uncensored versions - should legally have never supposed to be sold on Steam in the first place over here in Germany. They remain unrated and therefore aren't allowed to be shown and advertised publicly. So technically, they are not banned AGAIN but STILL. ^^ But after a specific time (~15 years?) the rights-owner can apply for a fresh examination of the affected game, e.g. that way DOOM and DOOM 2 were pulled off the "Index" 5 years ago, sitting on that "banned games"-list for 17 years until then. And today, guidelines are far more loosened and C1 + 2 would probably pass.

I was especially worried about C:MDs release in the first place as I just heard in a news-video the whole Carmageddon-franchise was affected and pulled, but Reincarnation and TDR2000 remain purchasable which leads me to believe/hope(!) there won't be problems getting C:MD for consoles in this country.

Edited by: Eviron on Wed, 01/06/2016 - 20:28
Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2016 - 20:45

http://www.carmageddon.com/comment/83874#comment-83874 Nobby said that CMD still unrated right now in germany ...

Edited by: Tonrac on Wed, 01/06/2016 - 20:49
Eviron's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2016 - 21:08

It's still over a month till realase-day but yeah, that keeps me worried a bit... Read nobbys statement when it got posted and thought "well, so the rating discussion over at the USK is just still taking place" (*fingers crossed*) but now seeing it again it could also translate to "the check is over and it didn't make it/got no age rating". :/ Any clarification feasible already which case it is, Stainless?

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2016 - 21:42

I got a question: if a game is ban in a country and you bought a steam key in other country, could You activate the game? Because if the game is in the index, it forbid retailer to sell the game in the country ... not people to own it.

Freeride Forever's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2016 - 05:04

Wow Germany huh? Home of the holocaust & the shit eater. I didn't know their politicians were as dumb as Austrailia's. Too bad. Someone should tell those ignorant idiotards that banning games doesn't undo Hitler. Nor will anything. So until then, torrent the games, donate the price to the devs. If you can't donate, meh, free advertising. :)

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2016 - 09:42

Eviron's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2016 - 15:40

@Tonrac: Don't think you can with Steam because the keys are somehow region locked, as I read looking a bit into this case. But there's still other easy ways, importing the physical copy if there is one, and other services like gog.com where there's no hurdle at all. On some systems like consoles it is or was also possible to simply change your region/country and then purchase those otherwise not-available titles. But that's not really advisable because it violates given terms of service which could lead to a locked account in the worst case.

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 02/06/2016 - 21:40

This is just wrong...
Video games are art , carmageddon may be silly but it is still art.

I just cant belive this.

Eviron's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 27/06/2016 - 17:58

Now GOG is also going to remove them... And "Max Damage" was refused classification. :( Bummer.

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Tue, 28/06/2016 - 10:53

hahaha poor germany =D

Pages