You are here

Pointless speculation about PC version.

Pages

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 367
Pointless speculation about PC version.
#1 Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 13:38

Everytime CMD is mentioned its very specific about it being console only information.
I understand PC gamers get it for free , to be honest I rather pay for it than get it for free as long as I get it on day one.

Anyway , I am under the impresion than CMD is going to be out months after the console version without any of the pre order cars/skins.
Because every trailer , every news has been about the console version only , when ever asked about the PC version everything is to be aannounced at a latter date , and that makes me very scared.

I hope I am wrong , I want to be hyped but I just cant because my gut feeling is I wont be playing this for at least another five months...

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Posts: 374
Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 14:24

To be honest I don't have much to say in reply to your post as most of it has been surmised in other posts already. You make a point though that most folk here, presumably the PC enthusiasts that backed the game in the first place, are curious as to what's going on.

I can imagine stainless are pretty ruddy busy trying to get CMD finalised and ready for distribution for the console release. I, for one, would like to see a news update specific to PC or failing that, an update in general.

I've had a thirst for playing a bit of reincarnation recently but held off on the basis that I'll probably start a new career on CMD when it rolls around on PC.

Fuel's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 614
Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 18:01

My guess/hope is that it'll be a minimum of a month before it gets a pc release after the console release. Some more communication would be nice but that seems to always have been an achilles heel for Stainless. I think anyone who has bought C:R on PC before or buys C:R up 'til, say, the console release date should get the pre-order exclusives for CMD. That would quell any kind of uproar or bad PR in my humble opinion. I would imagine they'll do a PC preorder thing too once there's a listing for it on Steam.

I just hope the PC version doesn't get canned. I currently don't own a PS4 or Xbone and have no intention of buying one just to play CMD tbh - I'm too old and stingy for that kinda shit nowadays.

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 367
Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 18:40

Fuel wrote:
My guess/hope is that it'll be a minimum of a month before it gets a pc release after the console release. Some more communication would be nice but that seems to always have been an achilles heel for Stainless. I think anyone who has bought C:R on PC before or buys C:R up 'til, say, the console release date should get the pre-order exclusives for CMD. That would quell any kind of uproar or bad PR in my humble opinion. I would imagine they'll do a PC preorder thing too once there's a listing for it on Steam.

I just hope the PC version doesn't get canned. I currently don't own a PS4 or Xbone and have no intention of buying one just to play CMD tbh - I'm too old and stingy for that kinda shit nowadays.

In the past , with no Exception to my experience when ever a dev refuses to give info about the PC version its because the PC version is going to be delayed a lot.
Often the only reason for it is a stupid contract aimed to force users to buy a console (however I wont , as I dont want something thats at least 4X less powerfull than my PC)

I may apear angry , but I am not , just scared. Because we were told this would be an update , I dont mind it being a ''new game'' I dont even want it free , I want to pay for it , I just want it on day one. maybe I am aself entitled git but the lack of any news is troubling.

Last time this happened was for the console port of elite dangerous were the PC update was pushed back for ages just so the console could get it first... or even... UT2005 that became UC2.

Anyway dont want to end on a negative note so , the new trailer about trailers looked good.

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Posts: 550
Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 19:29

I think that we got news about the PC version after the hollidays they will take after the console release ;)

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 367
Submitted: Wed, 18/05/2016 - 19:43

Tonrac wrote:
I think that we got news about the PC version after the hollidays they will take after the console release ;)

I hope not , that would be like rubbing salt in a wound

CoolZone's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Posts: 33
Submitted: Thu, 19/05/2016 - 04:33

Hoping they will release a beta version right after the console release and will continue with the same type of releases as we have got with Reincarnation, fixing eveything step-by step based on the fans input.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Posts: 1409
Submitted: Thu, 19/05/2016 - 09:57

I am only guessing here, but I think they will roll out the Mac|Linux version of CR first.

I just think that because most of those people feel left out.

I would not be surprised it was a year after the console version.

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Posts: 2989
Submitted: Thu, 19/05/2016 - 10:31

Stainless have said news about when the PC version of C:MD will be released will come after the console launch. No doubt they want to make sure the console versions gets the best possible launch they can with all the marketing focussed on them to keep the message on target. Marketing gets muddy when one moment they're promoting the upcoming console release on a specific date and the next they're promoting the PC version which will be released at some later date. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony, MS and Sold Out have stipulated a marketing focus on the console version in the contracts either, after all why would they want their versions to be used to promote the Steam version which has nothing to do with them? The console ports are a huge new revenue stream they want to tap into, while they will likely only see a relatively minor increase in sales from the PC version. As a business which needs to earn money to keep making more games it's a no-brainer that they would be putting all their efforts and focus into the console versions right now.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Stainless don't have a date for the PC version nailed down yet because they are focussed on polishing the console versions and putting all their QA efforts into them. The PC version will no doubt need a full round of QA before Stainless knows what needs to be done to finish up the PC version and can estimate when it will be ready to launch, so that will obviously happen once the console ports are out the door.

I don't see any reason at all to release a Mac or Linux version of C:R first, that would just be a waste of everyone's time. The Mac and Linux versions of Carmageddon will obviously be C:MD and not C:R. Why would they go back and port an old version of the game running on an old and bug ridden codebase when they have the new version of the game ready to port with all the improvements they've spent the last year working on? When the console versions are released the PC version will likely be 99% ready to go, pretty much just the QA process to make sure it works across the full range of PC hardware would be left. It would be far more efficient to port that instead.

Regarding pre-order bonuses, Stainless have clearly said C:MD will be released as a "new" game. It will, in all likelihood, not be released as Early Access this time but rather as a straight up full release which will mean it will be available for pre-order on Steam. That means they will almost certainly put the same pre-order bonuses on Steam as the console versions have. As all C:R owners get C:MD you can be extremely confident that will count as a "pre-order" and get you any bonuses people would get for pre-ordering it.

MrDeviance's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 364
Submitted: Sat, 21/05/2016 - 13:17

Being a Carmageddon fan and realizing how little money they've gotten back from Reincarnation, I do find myself supporting their decision to go full on consoles, even though I am a console hater, I understand that the new generation of brainwashed gamers are more into consoles than into pcs.
If the consoles don't bring them any considerable cash either, then I'm affraid these will be the last carmageddon games we will ever see.
I make this prediction entirely based on the fact that I haven't seen Reincarnation getting a good reception at all until now and it has been quite some time since it was released.
I also realize Stainless might have staked it all on this game and if C:MD doesn't save their investment either, they might possibly find themselves with not enough cash to get started on a newer and better sequel.
At this point, I am even afraid that even if C:MD will get them some decent cash, they might still decide to pack their stuff and go home after this Reicarnation experience.
Just like casino players, the real winners are those that know when to pull out and take their winnings home.
I would not be surprised in the least if after C:MD is released and lives it's commercial life, they announce they want to retire the franchise or sell it to somebody else.

Edited by: MrDeviance on Sat, 21/05/2016 - 13:23
Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Posts: 367
Submitted: Sat, 21/05/2016 - 18:02

MrDeviance wrote:
Being a Carmageddon fan and realizing how little money they've gotten back from Reincarnation, I do find myself supporting their decision to go full on consoles, even though I am a console hater, I understand that the new generation of brainwashed gamers are more into consoles than into pcs.
If the consoles don't bring them any considerable cash either, then I'm affraid these will be the last carmageddon games we will ever see.
I make this prediction entirely based on the fact that I haven't seen Reincarnation getting a good reception at all until now and it has been quite some time since it was released.
I also realize Stainless might have staked it all on this game and if C:MD doesn't save their investment either, they might possibly find themselves with not enough cash to get started on a newer and better sequel.
At this point, I am even afraid that even if C:MD will get them some decent cash, they might still decide to pack their stuff and go home after this Reicarnation experience.
Just like casino players, the real winners are those that know when to pull out and take their winnings home.
I would not be surprised in the least if after C:MD is released and lives it's commercial life, they announce they want to retire the franchise or sell it to somebody else.

The issue with consoles has been present sins the NES. and to be honest I am upset with stainless as they gave us what they promised within the limitations of there budget.

I just know that CMD has a high risk of being console first and that actualy unironically makes me feel sick. not towards stainless however , but towards the cunts at mircosoft who have been making a living recently at screwing over PC and sony who have been using flase advertisement to pretend there system is worthwhile and better than a PC.

Pages

randomness