Pages

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Report from Rezzed (8th April)
#1 Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 18:49

Report from Rezzed (08th April)

Hey Guys

Yesterday I had the privilege of meeting the guys from Stainless at EGX Rezzed, and got to have a few rounds with Carmageddon Max Damage in Freeplay. I decided to make a report of all of the little, and not-so little additions/changes that I could see in the build they were showing compared to the current steam build of Carmageddon Reincarnation.

Some of this information may already be known.

There may be some spoilers below, so read at your own risk.

Menu/UI:

• Freeplay menu design is largely the same as the current steam build of Reincarnation
  • Loading screens now have a loading bar
  • Power-Up information boxes that pop-up during the loading screens are a nice addition

General/In-game:

• There is a nice little transition from the loading screen where the camera pans down to the start line
  • Overall Gameplay was nice & smooth, although the console loading times were a little long (Level was restricted to Maim Street, and other routes on said environment). It is worth noting that the build on show is not that recent, and the team are still working on it
  • AI Cars can become 'Stunned' following a hefty crash, and there is a small visual effect to indicate this when it happens (displayed above the cars). Whether this mechanic applies to MP remains to be seen Thanks to Shane for verifying - this does not apply in Multiplayer
  • All main notifications (Checkpoint, Wrecked'Em, etc) now appear at the bottom of the screen, so as to not block the viewport
  • Ped Impaling happens more frequently, and from what I could see, always works as it should. This includes more 'ped-kebabs'

Power-Ups:

• 'ACME Damage magnifier' & the 'Lesser Spotted ACME Damage Magnifier LITE' now have a visual effect - a flashing cloud of pink/purple light under the car
  • Furthermore, there are two new power-ups
    Car Twisting Ray - 'Screw U Ray'
    Car Splitting Ray - 'Splitter Ray'

Vehicles:

• When the player is driving a Cop Car - Police lights/sirens can be turned on or off
  • Larger vehicles are scaled down in the garage so you can see them clearly. So, don't be fooled by how small the Super Suppressor looks in the garage
  • Rig O'Mortis can appear without a trailer, or with one of three trailers when a race begins:
    - Tanker
    - Loaded Flatbed
    - Unloaded Flatbed
  • When Trailers are hitched up or detached, you get a little visual indication 'Trailer Attached', 'Trailer Detached'
  • As soon as a trailer gets hitched up, the vehicle gains a 'Detach Trailer' Power-up
  • Mutant Tail Things will get attached to the trailer, instead of the vehicle that is pulling them.
    As such, it might be possible to setup trailers that can have other trailers attached.
  • Trailers do get repaired when you repair the vehicle, but only when attached
  • Rig O'Mortis drove as expected, it'll be nice to put it up against my own Big Rigs down the line
  • Hevy Impaler drives as it should, very meaty and has no trouble taking other cars apart. There is a little easter egg in the trunk
  • Project X is fast, and can be difficult to control if you don't know what you're doing
  • Super Suppressor... just dominates everything it encounters. When Max Damage comes to PC, I will see to it that there is something to put it in its' place
  • I can't comment much about overall vehicle handling, since I play with a keyboard on PC. Also, I was only driving the new vehicles.

Levels

• Only Maim Street, and other routes on that level were shown, but the extra ambient lighting settings and varying skyboxes almost made it feel like a different level at times
  • Pop-up grass is a much welcome improvement, and really transforms the look of the open grassy areas.

Peds

• The reworked peds look much nicer, with more 3d detail, and now make use of normal maps
  • Some Pedestrians seem to have a more unique appearance
  • Pedestrians will (Psudeo-Randomly) spawn in wheelchairs
  • When Groovin Peds is activated
    - Peds on Bicycles will do bunny Hops
    - Peds in Wheelchairs will do wheelies on the spot
    - Peds on Mobility scooters... I don't know what they do
  • Apparently there is a very funny feature when temporary rapture is used on wheelchair peds. I didn't get to see it though
  • There are now more large groups of pedestrians in each level
  • In at least one route, there is a bicycle race going on in the stadium

Damage

• Car Splitting does occur usually under extreme conditions only, such as getting slammed into a wall or driving at speed into a corner of a building,
  • Splitting does not necessarily mean the vehicle gets wrecked, it may be dependant on the splitting cutting through the engine, or if the engine is in the larger half of the car. Regardless, I did see the left side of an Annihilator (attempting) to drive around. Wait and see as to if, and by how much APO will affect splitting

Visuals

• The Improvements to lighting & water look great
  • The Flares & Glow effects from car lights also look great
  • Fire Particle effects (Engine Fire, Hot Rod Exhaust) look even better than they do in CR Update #2
  • There seem to be more (& improved) particle effects such as sparks & smoke during collisions, although these might have just been easier to spot as it was dark
  • Electro-Bastard Ray effects are much chunkier
  • It is possible for blood splatters to drain down the sides of buildings
  • There are blood splatter effects that may pop up on the camera, but are only there very briefly

Audio:

• Crash & impact sounds have improved considerably
  • Impacts with peds now have more solid 'Thump' sounds, instead of just the blood splatting sounds
  • The bug with the Track sounds is certainly fixed, the 'clank, clank, clank' sounds much better now it starts off slow and gradually speeds up

Cameras:

• In Car camera works well, I only got to see it on Project X, and when someone else was using StiffShifter
  • When using the In Car Camera, you can look left, right & back
  • There are improved effects for creating a greater sense of speed (motion blur, FOV widening and zooming out)

Overall, it was great to meet some of the team. All of their continued hard work is really paying off.

EDIT: Corrected syntax on ped variations
EDIT2: Corrected more spelling.
EDIT3: Amended 'Stunned' effect regarding MP

Edited by: Mad Mike on 10/04/2016 - 09:36

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:15

Thanks a lot for this.
It all sounds very good.

Fr0nt's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Twitch ChampKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:33

thanks for the nice report mike.

Rigor's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:49

Look's like it's the ultimate Carmageddon we need. All those improvements are impressive and i'm glad Stainless are supporting so well this game. Can not wait.

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:50

Perhaps needless question, but: Do you have permission to air these informations?

Edited by: CzechDeath on Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:56

Fuel's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 19:59

Thanks for the info Mike, much appreciated. All these details make it sound like this is going to be more like the new Carmageddon we were waiting for.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 20:02

Quote:
Perhaps needless question: Do you have premission to air these informations?

An entirely needless question, since all information comes from watching a playable build that is/was public to anyone 18+ attending EGX Rezzed.

Regardless, yes - this has been cleared.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 20:10

Mad Mike wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps needless question: Do you have premission to air these informations?

An entirely needless question, since all information comes from watching a playable build that is/was public to anyone 18+ attending EGX Rezzed.

Regardless, yes - this has been cleared.

=D HEH ok... gee don't shoot man.

deadsheep's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 20:37

Quote:
It is possible for blood splatters to drain down the sides of buildings

Wow!

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 20:49

For being able to go to EGX Rezzed and meet stainless team, you are a lucky guy Mad Mike ... your report (and your mod) are greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for all ... the game seem to go in the right way ...

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 09/04/2016 - 21:45

Yes, thanks for sharing your preview impressions :)

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

Pages