You are here

Some texture need a little bit of love

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Some texture need a little bit of love
#1 Submitted: Sun, 27/03/2016 - 18:07

We don't play Carmageddon for his graphics but even if they are correct, they could be improved.
This topic to point some textures that give a bad feeling to the game ... (in my humble point of view)

Like the wall of the contryside tunnel that is completly blurry:

And the ship interior on magnuchem map, (the interior seem not to be finished yet, like if it miss the roof texture ... also the lightning seem weird

Feel free to post what you think that must be improved ... or your disagreement with me.
I hear some of you saying, that when the game is in action, we don't really saw this detail ... but that's not true.
BTW , i saw that trent work on a tool to change textures, maybe one day we will see textures packs to change the atmosphere of CR or improve some textures.
Cheers

Edited by: Tonrac on 29/03/2016 - 06:47
Privata's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sun, 27/03/2016 - 22:51

I agree some love is needed.

I allways think that all PC games should have an HD version as an optional download that uses either the source textures or the highest they have with the option to scale down from that point if need be.

I understand that with a focus on redundent hardware such as the PS4 and XB1 we cant have everything looking fab but at least like I said some HD textures if they are still there un scaled down that would be epic.

and an option to turn off mega textures , I know it helps a lot for most users but I have allways hated dynamic texture quality because no matter how powerfull your PC is the slightest issue and the textures will spaz out and go low res for a few seconds...

Not that CR looks too bad , and I think it looks good for a non AAA game but I belive it could be better

TheCoach's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 14:50

I don't really mind texture resolution being what it is, what still just irks me is that Anisotropic Filtering is still not available in this game, force it to on trough your drivers and ground/ceiling textures become a LOT less blurry.
It's such a basic technique that every single game out there uses nowadays that it is quite astounding how C:R does not do it, even when the performance impact is almost 0.

For the people that for some reason or other don't know what AF is:
Here's an example of GTA 5 with and without it:
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/images/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-anisotropic-filtering-001-off.png
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/images/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-anisotropic-filtering-001-16x.png

For me personally on C:R the impact is exactly the same, ground textures look absolutely horrible without it and really good with it, I don't loose even a single FPS with AF on.

Edited by: TheCoach on Mon, 28/03/2016 - 14:57
Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 15:21

Quote:
I don't really mind texture resolution being what it is, what still just irks me is that Anisotropic Filtering is still not available in this game, force it to on trough your drivers and ground/ceiling textures become a LOT less blurry.
It's such a basic technique that every single game out there uses nowadays that it is quite astounding how C:R does not do it, even when the performance impact is almost 0.

If I recall correctly, CR does support Anisotropic Filtering, but (and this is a big BUT), a lot of the base materials in some environments do not have AF configured properly. Trent brought this up a while back with some screens illustrating before & after correcting the materials on Dusty Trails. These findings were fed back to Stainless, so it is a known issue.

Also for reference, comparison shots showing AF is enabled (for the most part) in Bleak city, and then showing it with AF turned off on the roads can be found here.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

TheCoach's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 15:31

This probably won't be fixed in Reincarnation as it's about to be completely replaced with Max Damage, so best suggestion is to just stick with forcing AA on your drivers.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 15:40

Did I suggest anything to the contrary? Nope! I merely pointed out that
- AF is supported in CR
- these discussions have been had before and that it is a known issue

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

Sa1cor's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Twitch ChampCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 28/03/2016 - 19:40

TheCoach wrote:
This probably won't be fixed in Reincarnation as it's about to be completely replaced with Max Damage, so best suggestion is to just stick with forcing AA on your drivers.

Doing that fucks up the sand textures in dusty trails. At least for me, they get these black stripes every 10 meters or so. They are really annoying.

Freeride Forever's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 29/03/2016 - 03:59

Faaaaack me that tunnel tex' thanks for bringin' that up Ton'. I've wanted to say something about that somewhere sometime for a long time, but I forget, or I'm lazy. :/ That tunnel is sooooo fuckin' HORRRRIBLE & it's sooooo fuckin' NOTICEABLE!!! Not using tessellation is one thing, but res' like that? PFFFFT! Ô.o

Yeah they should fix that shit.

TheCoach brings up something interesting. If they don't have this all addressed by June I hope I remember to dick around with my AMD AF settings. Won't solve those shit textures like in the tunnel though but might improve other stuff.

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 29/03/2016 - 07:07

Thanks Madmike for refreshing my memory.
Like freeride i hope that they will correct those issue in the Max Damage version of the game.

randomness