You are here

Should the fog come back?

Pages

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Should the fog come back?
#1 Submitted: Mon, 14/03/2016 - 21:06

Carmageddon Reincarnation has had many complaints, some of them have been fixed or parrtially addressed (such as the optimization and performance issues), other issues are being tweaked or discussed (the damage balacing, I guess), and some of them which are related to the content and have not been as discussed as the other ones.

One of the most common complaints I have come accross are the levels. People mentioned that, as big and crowded with peds as they are, they feel they are "empty". Others have mentioned that they feel "sterile", unless the first Carma, where the environment felt unique and rich.

After hearing of this "levels feel sterile" complaint. the first thing that popped in my mind was the mist or fog that you can find in the first Carmageddon. We all know that this fog was there in order to render objects at a fixed distance for performance purposes. But to me, it gave the game a very unique, twisted, suerral and gloomy mood. It felt part of the world Stainless had crafted for Carmageddon, and in my opinion, it made the levels more atmospheric and rich.

Could this fog be added back to Carmageddon Reincarnation using modern (or old) rendering techniques? Just to see if it would make the levels more interesting and as atmospheric as they used to be in the original Carmageddon.

I decided to use my MAD SKILLZ in photoshop and do a mock-up of what would C:R look like if we added some fog into it. Hereby I present you with the ©Psyrgery smudge-fest crappy photoshop fog

In the first Carmageddon the fog was white, grey or black. I decided to use black because it was the easiest way to hide any crappy messup I could drop onto the picture.

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 14/03/2016 - 21:34

The game's levels all have fog, they just use it very subtly and have it set to quite a long distance away. You can tweak the start, end, alpha and colour in the level's setup.lol (also the underwater fog). Here's an example of the fog distance reduced and colour set to yellow on Business District:

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 14/03/2016 - 21:38

Jesus Trent, I lost count on how many times you've answered my questions, and this last one of you is so awesome!

I did not know you could tweak the fog back into the game, going to give it a try later

Thanks again Trent!

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 14/03/2016 - 21:56

It's just a no go for me ... It look like too much artificial. Reducing distance view (by adding fog or whatever) is not only a matter of taste but also have impact on the gameplay.
You like the fog effect on C1, ok, but it don't allow to anticipate a turn or a dead end ... Too often i loose the control of my car in C1 because i drive too fast and cannot negociate a bend because of that fog. Now, on CR, i can anticipate ... ok, i continue too loose the control but that's more because i try to push the limit in order to win a race against dangerous multiplayer psycho ;) ... and not because of a weird fog that limit my view. The fog remain in C1 mobile, but i invite you to make the comparison beetween C1 mobile and the original, you will see that they increase a lot the distance view in C1 mobile (thanks a lot Stainless)
If you can mod the game at your taste, why not. But in my humble opinion, i don't think that reducing distance view is a great idea, except in some specific levels if they want to simulate foggy weather. They already reduce the distance view to boost the performance, you could clearly see that in the map contryside ... there is a big difference beetween the beta and the update 2, i don't mind, only if it doesn't have an impact on the driving experience ... they have to make compromise to boost the performance.

Edited by: Tonrac on Mon, 14/03/2016 - 22:48
STShotgun's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Twitch Champ
Submitted: Tue, 15/03/2016 - 00:16

A while ago I tried messing around with the fogs to give a Carma 2-esque feel to the levels - they could've been fine-tuned but I liked the general way they came out. But yeah, I would also like to see them add some thicker fogs to the levels (which I think they've added to C:MD anyway).

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass."

C:R & C:MD Compilation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FrYLN6Bfg
Modding thread: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29467

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 15/03/2016 - 06:27

That looks amazing STS!

Looks very atmospheric

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 15/03/2016 - 08:53

tricky one this, I mean obviously the fog helped provide a level of 'bleak' atmosphere in C1 but it's important to remember that it was to overcome graphical limitations at the time. The game is nearly 20 years old now, so it seems to me like it's a two steps forward, ten steps back thing just to stay true to the original.

Needless to say, seeing the yellow and red fog in the screenshots in this thread I can't see why contextual effects, such as a subtle yellow hue over the acid lakes in the magnuchem maps, or an increased level of fog if say dusty trails had a 'sunrise' time of day on the map.

Personally I think stainless have done a good job of murk-ing up the levels since the graphical gorgeousness update and it looks like the overcast, looming skies appear to be more prominent in C:MD than they were in C:R.

I haven't tried this myself with C:R but if it's that problematic for some, why not just download reshade mediator and apply a bit of desaturation and spherical tone mapping. I've been experimenting with this on fallout 4 and come up with some really nice presets. It's a piece of piss too.

Edited by: RiOrus on Tue, 15/03/2016 - 08:55
CrapShoot's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 15/03/2016 - 22:49

Wow, that coloured fog mod looks great.
Little bit overdone sometimes but otherwise gives a very nice feeling (music helps too of course).

Fr0nt's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Twitch ChampKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 16/03/2016 - 09:02

Some of those do look pretty cool, almost like a sandstorm, or at night the darkness adds something to the level. I wonder if it improves the performance?

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Wed, 16/03/2016 - 13:57

dont get me wrong but YUCK!

I mean yes... fog can look good if made approprietly ... but what I've seen above is fog without context, or understanding how light conditions look whne there is fog... you cant just take environment with physically correct lighting and crank up fog and expect it to look good... more so collored fog...

Yes it worked on carmageddon1's very stylized graphics... but I does not work now not with level of vissual fidelity of CR... my artistic gut does not approve =D

So if fog comes back than not in this form ... no sir.

FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 16/03/2016 - 14:50

Yeah, not a big fan of the superfog density either, it would look a lot better if it was a bit more subtle.

Edited by: FatCat on Wed, 16/03/2016 - 14:53

Pages