You are here

Quad core on android = missing textures ???

kithylin's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Quad core on android = missing textures ???
#1 Submitted: Wed, 09/12/2015 - 09:22

So I got my first ever android tablet, excited to play carmageddon on the go I went to the app store, tried the free game, it worked great. AT FIRST.

After about 5 minutes of playing for some reason my android tablet started running carmageddon very choppy and slow and I was really confused as to what was going on.

After some time and investigation I figured out that for some reason when running carmageddon on my android device, it forces the device down in to 1 cpu core (it's a quad core 1.3 ghz tablet) by forcing the OS to put the other 3 to sleep. Seems it also forces it to slow speed (Stuck at 480 mhz).

So I downloaded one of those "Wake lock" apps that forces the CPU extra cores to "Stay awake always" and stay at full speed, and the game runs smoothly and is butter-smooth again. (when run normally it gets really slow and stuttery trying to run on a single 480 mhz core).

But the problem is, when running it forced in to multi-core mode, with a wake-lock app, a lot of textures are missing in-game at random. Sometimes entire streets, sometimes enemy cars are missing. Sometimes trees and buildings show up as just light grey with no texutres.

I wonder if anyone at stainless is aware of this and intends to fix it?