You are here

OS X Version Now Please

Pages

Freeride Forever's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 18/12/2015 - 01:38

Yeah since the proper (Windows) version still needs plenty of work, I think you're outta luck there butt fuck. Maybe try catching up to the rest of the world & use the right OS instead, yeah?

Edited by: Freeride Forever on Fri, 18/12/2015 - 01:41
Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 18/12/2015 - 11:23

tdb wrote:
Do you maybe have some kind of minimum estimate based on how much work is planned for the Windows version? Would it be too optimistic to hope for the ports in 2016?

i'm speculating of course, but i think 2016 could reveal a Linux Release. I'd say Q4 of 2016 could be a possible estimate.
The folks at Stainless have really made leaps in this product. What it'll get from now on is new groundbreaking features. Except from maps. But yeah, have patience lads.

Arcanum-XIII's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 27/12/2015 - 16:07

Hard to have patience when you've paid money 3 years ago for features that still need to be there, especially when you see that they put the game on sale every now and then.
Being a dev myself, I can empathize on the hard word needed to be multiplatform; still it's better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around. By the way : no, rebooting my computer for a game is not a good option. This is not what was written, confirmed and proudly put front and center.

tdb's picture
tdb
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 03/01/2016 - 13:22

I've noticed elsewhere that Carmageddon: Reincarnation has started to gain a promised-but-never-came-for-linux reputation. In order to avoid things escalating, could you post some kind of roadmap of what is still planned for the Windows version before the Linux port can be started? I'd also like to know if you're going to create the Linux version in-house or employ another company for it? Have you considered multiplatform aspects at all when creating your custom engine or is it made purely with Windows in mind?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sun, 03/01/2016 - 15:30

As they have explained on numerous occasions they are still doing major work on multi-threading the game and improving the renderer, among other performance related enhancements. That's as detailed a roadmap as we are going to get because any more detail would need them to go into full technical details about what the work involves which is a waste of everyone's time. Asking how long it will take is the same as asking how long is a piece of string.

The engine itself is a multi-platform engine already. It supports the following platforms, as listed on the company's technology page:

Quote:
Platforms supported:
  • PLAYSTATION 4, PLAYSTATION 3 INCLUDING PSN
  • XBOX ONE, XBOX 360 INCLUDING LIVE ARCADE
  • NINTENDO DS/DSI/3DS
  • NINTENDO WII
  • ANDROID & IOS
  • IPHONE AND IPAD (INCLUDING GAME CENTER)
  • WINDOWS/APPLE MAC OS X

It's the same engine they used for the mobile C1 port and the same engine they use for their Magic The Gathering games which are released on pretty much every platform under the sun. Linux is pretty much the only platform they don't have native support for in their engine, however most of the supported platforms are UNIX-like so porting to Linux isn't a big deal. While other platforms are supported by the engine there is a lot of game specific code and work which needs to be ported before the game will work on those platforms as Carma is a shit load more complex and demanding than their other games.

The good news is that over the last few months Nobby has teased that info about porting the game to other platforms may be coming some time in the new year so, as the saying goes, stay tuned.

tdb's picture
tdb
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 03/01/2016 - 17:20

Why so condescending? I thought a rough roadmap was a perfectly valid request. I checked the email updates and blog and while there have been announcements of performance improvements that have been made, none of them had any information of what they are still planning to do. On the forums this thread is the only one about ports with any recent activity. Perhaps you'd like to link some of these "numerous occasions" for me since I'm so inept at finding them?

It's not like I was asking a dump of their bug tracker either (though being a programmer myself if would certainly be interesting). Just some info in how close they are to the performance target (should be straightforward since performance can be measured) and how much content is still planned for the base game before DLCs (number of maps and cars is also easily quantifiable). If this information is already available in some difficult-to-find location, then all that is needed is to copy it or post a link somewhere that's easier to find.

bbkr's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 22/02/2016 - 21:37

I've backed up Kickstarter campaign on May 2012. OS X version was promised. On June 2012 payment was processed. It is now February 2016 and I still cannot play the game.

Moreover I just received newsletter that Carmageddon is coming to... console.
So please cut this "we are unable to put a date to this while work still continues on improving the Windows version"bullsh*t!
Focus your resources on what you were paid for and deliver OS X version!

And I don't seriously care if you will have to maintain 1, 2 or 100 code branches.
You took the money over 3 years ago without providing promised product and that is simply scam.
Not to mention that when you deliver OS X version for 15$ I paid this game will be already lying on "5$ sale" piles in shopping malls.

If I don't see any roadmap and release date for OS X by the end of February I'm starting refund process on Kickstarter.
Sorry guys, you had my support, I can understand delays and issues, but this has gone too far.

Arcanum-XIII's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 07/03/2016 - 17:11

At least stainless is good at something : making us talk, talk, talk. Meanwhile, they're not doing much beside keeping us in the dark... So I have to agree : I've paid a Kickstarter 5 years to get a game on my platform of choice, and now I got to learn that I'm not anymore a valued customer, but someone it's okay to rip off his money.
Not that the Windows guys are more lucky : the game is unfinished, and will never be fully done. So they have to keep faith that the console version will be better, since it will be the "final" one, the game they were promised too...
It's hard to keep faith in face of those announcements and the recurring problem we've seen so far.

FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 07/03/2016 - 17:48

Remember guys, the PS4 cannot run DirectX.

Linux & OSX & PS4 all run OpenGL. Wait until the OpenGL version of the game runs on PS4 hardware, and it shouldnt take long until that version is ported to Mac and Linux.

Edited by: FatCat on Mon, 07/03/2016 - 17:49
bbkr's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 07/03/2016 - 18:01

I've started refund process on Kickstarter.
I'll post follow up once I get reply from them.

"Wait until the OpenGL version of the game runs on PS4 hardware, and it shouldnt take long until that version is ported to Mac and Linux."

Nope.
No more waiting.
OS X and Linux were supposed to be made as part of original Kickstarter campaign, so they should come first.

Pages

randomness