You are here

[BLOG] The Ups and Downs of Updates

Pages

shane's picture
Community Manager
Stainless
[BLOG] The Ups and Downs of Updates
#1 Submitted: Mon, 26/10/2015 - 18:39

With all the work that’s been continuing at Stainless Games to improve Carmageddon: Reincarnation since its release, we thought it was time to also resurrect our blog. We wanted to give you a clearer idea of the challenges we’ve encountered along the way and explain why it’s not as easy as some of our critics seem to think to increase fps or improve the look of the game. As a small indie dev team everyone has been pulling together magnificently to fix reported issues and help as many players as possible to enjoy the game. Our first blog comes from Simon Lacey, as he explains how we worked to increase the fps significantly between release and our first update.

You can read the rest of this blog here and discuss below.

Edited by: shane on 04/01/2016 - 12:03
Sleep Dirt's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 26/10/2015 - 18:58

Absolutely brilliant blog! I'd love to know a little bit about how the damage system works, I'm sure others would as-well is there any chance we could have a little bit about it from Patrick? It's intrigued me for many years now.

The update looks unbelievable, I cant wait, amazing work guys :)

The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

RichB93's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 26/10/2015 - 18:58

All I can say is that the work that has been done on optimising C:R is nothing short of miraculous. I run on a low end machine: A 2008 Dell Optiplex 755 consisting of a Xeon X3360 2.83GHz (Basically a Core 2 Quad Q9550), 8GB DDR2 800 RAM, a 400GB 7200rpm HDD and an AMD Radeon 6670 2GB DDR3. Admittedly the 2GB VRAM helps a lot, but the fact that I can play this game at 720p with a decent framerate on this system is amazing!

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 26/10/2015 - 20:32

Refreshing blog post despite the technical subject :)
Great job you Stainless guys, can't wait to test your work with that second update!

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 01:40

Thanks for the update read was great, maybe they dont need to be so long but a shorter blog saying that we ran into trouble with X and we are attempting to do this B. Like a change long if maybe possible could be another way to tell people how goes the update and maybe tell people ok we are aiming for this X and we believe we are 10% done or some rubbish. anyways just a thought :).

YautjaLord's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 05:18

Don't tell me you gonna launch the update after tomorrow's stream. :) Glad i followed the news religiously. lol Awesome read.

Fleshreaper666's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 06:22

What about the promise to release this magnificent game on the next gen consoles!?
After the first few messages referring to this, it got awfully quiet about the game coming to the (next-gen) consoles.

Are there still plans to expand your market and make the people owning a console also have them relive the nostalgic of the dismemberfest in this awesome game!?

Please release some information about this to everybody.

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 07:19

Well, it seems like almost every week this question keeps coming up, either on Facebook, Twitter, or the Twitch Streams. And they always get the same answer :

"We'll finish optimising and perfecting C:R first, then we'll do Linux and OSX versions and then the consoles will come".

So you must not be looking hard enough ;)

Edited by: Epitaph on Tue, 27/10/2015 - 07:36
AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 07:21

What about it? SG have repeatedly stated that all focus is first and foremost bringing CR up to scratch on the PC first.

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 08:59

lemonrev wrote:
Thanks for the update read was great, maybe they dont need to be so long but a shorter blog saying that we ran into trouble with X and we are attempting to do this B. Like a change long if maybe possible could be another way to tell people how goes the update and maybe tell people ok we are aiming for this X and we believe we are 10% done or some rubbish. anyways just a thought :).

Disagree, it's been too long coming for a blog update and it was excellent this was comprehensive. Why would you want less info about carmageddon? I didn't understand half of it but it was great to get a deep insight into the dev process. In fact it gives you an appreciation for the faith they had in carmageddon especially whilst the majority were slating the game on release. They got their heads down and cracked on.

Anyway if it's too long or convoluted a blog for you, don't read it.

hammr25's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/10/2015 - 12:15

The new lighting tech came out really nice. The replay stuff is pretty cool as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDQ09tvZnc

Edited by: hammr25 on Tue, 27/10/2015 - 12:15

Pages

randomness