You are here

Car Setup Tutorials For Trents Maxscript Tools.

Pages

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 22/02/2016 - 17:57

No worries

Were there any errors indicated by the maxscript? or did it report 'export successful'?

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

phlooo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Mon, 22/02/2016 - 18:16

It depends actually. I got this error multiple times :

--Runtime error: Map support not enabled for specified map channel: 2

but after reapplying a material to the 4 wheels (the ones created by the script), it exports fine without any error...

Edited by: phlooo on Mon, 22/02/2016 - 18:16
Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 22/02/2016 - 19:05

Interesting, I have never had that error before.

After it has exported without error, is the structure.xml still empty?

Just to make sure everything has gotten added to the Root (c_Body) correctly, does the modifier list for the c_Body contain the following:

• - CNT Hierarchy
  • - Car Structure Part
  • - Vehicle_Setup.cfg
  • - Car Characteristics

Do all of the car parts have 'CNT Hierarchy' modifiers present? If one part doesn't have 'CNT_hierarchy' data set, then it will screw up the export and will usually mess up the structure.xml

phlooo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 01:17

Yep, the structure.xml just contains the basic "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><STRUCTURE><CHARACTERISTICS></CHARACTERISTICS></STRUCTURE>" even when export is reported "successful".

Edit: I tried saving the car on another hard disk, in the unlikely scenario where 3ds Max couldn't write correctly in the CarMODgeddon folder, but this didn't help at all.

And yes, the c_Body has all these modifiers, and every car part has the "CNT Hierarchy" modifier, I checked multiple times since it drove me nuts for the whole day :(

I really don't understand, maybe should I try from scratch with another model?

Edited by: phlooo on Tue, 23/02/2016 - 01:18
phlooo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 16:56

Hi again,

I just tried this :

- Saved my previous model in .max
- Reinstalled 3ds Max and redownloaded the MaxScript (well, you never know, you know!)
- Opened a new empty scene with the script running
- Imported the .max
- Kept default materials, just applying an empty "Paint" to the body and an "Others" to other parts
- Resetted XForm for each part
- Followed the whole guide

Now when I export, i get this :

And I just get a totally empty engine.mdl file.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 16:59

Quote:
Yep, the structure.xml just contains the basic "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><STRUCTURE><CHARACTERISTICS></CHARACTERISTICS></STRUCTURE>" even when export is reported "successful".

Edit: I tried saving the car on another hard disk, in the unlikely scenario where 3ds Max couldn't write correctly in the CarMODgeddon folder, but this didn't help at all.

And yes, the c_Body has all these modifiers, and every car part has the "CNT Hierarchy" modifier, I checked multiple times since it drove me nuts for the whole day :(

I really don't understand, maybe should I try from scratch with another model?

Sorry for the delay. Using another model might be a good idea.

For now, just create a box, convert it to an editable mesh, name it 'c_Body'

• - Run 'setup hierarchy' & 'configure car structure' on it
  • - enable the base car characteristics (General Defence, Car Defence, Offense)
  • - then try exporting just that through 'Export Complete Car' with 'Export Struture.xml' enabled, and see if the structure.xml is still empty

EDIT: Just seen your new reply. Give me a few minutes to read it over :)

EDIT2: If you've got 'Convert textures to TDX' off - Add a 'Unwrap UV' modifier to your engine, and re-try exporting it

Edited by: Mad Mike on Tue, 23/02/2016 - 16:59

phlooo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 17:07

Oh, just saw your reply too!

I just tried this: I used a Cap Holes modifier and collapsed it on my Engine model, then selected all vertices and colored them green.

The whole thing exported fine and the structure.xml now looks pretty good! I'm about to test importing it to the game now. If It doesn't work I'll try the steps you just gave me :)

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 17:11

Ok, good luck. Bear in mind that the engine should only have one green vertex as welds between 'Non-Crushable' to 'Crushable' parts must only ever have one vertex. If you have more than one, then the game will give warnings in the 'script_log', and ignore the extra vertices

phlooo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 17:21

Mad Mike wrote:
Ok, good luck. Bear in mind that the engine should only have one green vertex as welds between 'Non-Crushable' to 'Crushable' parts must only ever have one vertex. If you have more than one, then the game will give warnings in the 'script_log', and ignore the extra vertices

Of course, but the thing is, I can't figure out how to color just one vertex. I did it previously without any problem, but now even when 1 vertex is selected, they all get colored, idk why.

Yes I suck at 3ds Max hehe, I was just using Blender before

Edit: It WORKS. After a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long loading screen, the race started and the car works like a charm. After checking the log, I saw that the game listed every colored vertex that didn't have any Weld, hence the very long loading screen.

So my last problem now is this vertex colors thing. Is the correct method really this one :

- setting the object as Editable Mesh
- selecting Vertex selection
- clicking one vertex
- Clicking on the color rectangle inside "Edit Vertices colors"
- Putting the wanted color, and OK

?

By doing that all the vertices get the choosen color

Edited by: phlooo on Tue, 23/02/2016 - 17:54
FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 23/02/2016 - 18:04

Sorry to interrupt this thread but something caught my eye a little.

IS THAT A 1970s CHEVY chevelle SS?!?!!!

Edited by: FatCat on Tue, 23/02/2016 - 18:10

Pages

randomness