You are here

Car Setup Tutorials For Trents Maxscript Tools.

Pages

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 27/08/2016 - 18:29

Thanks Trent. Yes, is originally been OBJ. :-)

I'm run your script few times, then try to export and get this.

Looks very good, a few changes and everything will be ready.

Edited by: LuckyMike on Sat, 27/08/2016 - 20:25
LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 29/08/2016 - 15:11

Another problem with cars :-)

In max is look like this

In game its look like this.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 29/08/2016 - 16:25

The normals are obviously fucked up on the model in 3dsmax, which is causing the faces of the exported model to be flipped. Chances are if you turn on backface culling in 3dsmax it will look the same. The solution to the normals pointing the wrong way is to flip them.

Just a question, but are these models ones you've made yourself or just found on the internet?

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 30/08/2016 - 13:43

just found
Prompt how to make blood stains on the texture? I just copied the contents of the file with material from the official car and changing the names of textures. What are the specific requirements for texture units have? In max is necessarily make one texture, on a single material (not Multi/Sub-Object)?

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Tue, 30/08/2016 - 18:22

LuckyMike wrote:
just found

I avoid doing the OBJ file converting thing if I can avoid it now. too much trouble in my opinion because of the issues.

Just an FYI. Better to texture it all from scratch all over again. For example some of the materials I converted over from the C2 maps not only came out one sided but backwards as well. Like the fences you could see thru them but once you got to the other side you couldnt go back that way.

Even though it would be great for you to do an ambulance in the game. Blood inside AND outside.

PS been busy all week , couldnt touch my remade model.

Edited by: starbuck on Tue, 30/08/2016 - 18:23

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 31/08/2016 - 02:35

Good to see you. :-)
I read some info about importing OBJ in 3DsMax. It is the most common and the most incompatible format for importing into max...

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 31/08/2016 - 07:18

LuckyMike wrote:
just found

I would recommend making your own models so you can learn exactly how things are made and avoid problems like this caused by the fact it's just a random model off the internet.

Quote:
Prompt how to make blood stains on the texture? I just copied the contents of the file with material from the official car and changing the names of textures.

Any material which is set to be based off "car_shader_double_sided_base" will get blood splats applied. You should really only have one material for that, though, as using multiple ones has potential to be a performance sink. Just make sure all the bodywork in one texture and it will be fine.

Quote:
What are the specific requirements for texture units have?

I don't understand what exactly you're asking. Can you be more specific?

Quote:
In max is necessarily make one texture, on a single material (not Multi/Sub-Object)?

You can use either Standard materials or Multi/Sub materials, both work fine.

Starbuck wrote:
Just an FYI. Better to texture it all from scratch all over again. For example some of the materials I converted over from the C2 maps not only came out one sided but backwards as well. Like the fences you could see thru them but once you got to the other side you couldnt go back that way.

You don't need to texture the whole level from scratch to fix that, you just set the material to be double sided by adding <DoubleSided value="true"/> to the MT2 file. Retexturing wouldn't fix that anyway, things like those fences need to be double sided whatever you do to texture them.

Edited by: Trent on Wed, 31/08/2016 - 07:22

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 31/08/2016 - 15:45

Trent wrote:
Any material which is set to be based off "car_shader_double_sided_base" will get blood splats applied. You should really only have one material for that, though, as using multiple ones has potential to be a performance sink. Just make sure all the bodywork in one texture and it will be fine.

You can use either Standard materials or Multi/Sub materials, both work fine.

Paint.MT2

Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Material>
<BasedOffOf Name="car_shader_double_sided_base"/>
<DoubleSided Value="TRUE"/>
<Pass Number="0">
<Texture Alias="Side1_DiffuseColour2" FileName="palomino_paint" />
<Texture Alias="Side1_Normal_Map2" FileName="palomino_paint_N" />
<Texture Alias="Side1_Spec_Map2" FileName="palomino_paint_s" />

<Texture Alias="Side1_DiffuseColour1" FileName="palomino_paint_d" />
<Texture Alias="Side1_Normal_Map1" FileName="palomino_paint_N" />
<Texture Alias="Side1_Spec_Map1" FileName="palomino_paint_s" />

<Texture Alias="Side2_DiffuseColour" FileName="palomino_paint_s2"/>
<Texture Alias="Side2_Normal_Map" FileName="palomino_paint_s2_N"/>
<Texture Alias="Side2_Spec_Map" FileName="palomino_paint_s2_s"/>
</Pass>
</Material>

palomino_paint.png

Spoiler:

No blood splats.

Edited by: LuckyMike on Wed, 31/08/2016 - 16:01
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 31/08/2016 - 18:36

Without having the car I can't advise you on what's wrong because what you've shown is exactly how materials should be set up to receive blood splats.

Are you sure the model isn't inside out? The blood splats will only be applied to the Side1 textures, not the Side2 textures, so just change Side2_DiffuseColour texture so something else (e.g. solid red) to see if that's the case.

Another thing to try is make the texture 2048 x 2048. 2024 is a really bizarre resolution, games like to have power-of-2 resolution textures as that's what GPU hardware is optimised for.

Also are you certain no blood splats ever appear? Blood doesn't appear on cars every single time you run over a Ped, there's been plenty of times I've ploughed through a load of peds in official cars and not had any blood stick to it...

LuckyMike's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 31/08/2016 - 21:28

I resize textures to 2048, s2 textures is just solid white.
I don't know, bloody milk hell and nothing...

Edited by: LuckyMike on Wed, 31/08/2016 - 21:34

Pages

randomness