You are here

OK I made a map (sort of) imported easily from C2 (for a start)

Pages

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Wed, 11/01/2017 - 21:37

Did you move the actual object or just the polygons? I'll reiterate: The collision mesh's root is ALWAYS positioned at 0,0,0 regardless of where the visual mesh's root is positioned. If you want to move the box down you need to go into Editable Poly/Mesh, enable a sub-object mode like triangle, vertex, element amd move them down. Either that or after you've moved the box normally, go into the Hierarchy panel, turn on Affect Pivot Only and move the pivot back to 0,0,0.

Grid accessory, as in the accessory object which defines the starting grid. Accessories are defined in the level.lol script. There is a special accessory called _grid which defines where the starting grid is positioned. All I did* to get it working was move the root object to 0,0,0 in 3dsmax, export the CNT and add the grid accessory to be positioned at 0, 10, 0. Some cars were stuck in a building but they all landed on the ground. I would suggest you take a look at all the various scripts used in the levels and try to understand what is in them. This is the contents of the level.lol I used: You might also need to delete NAVMAP.BZN to make sure that gets generated off the correct mesh data too, though that shouldn't effect the collisions, just the ped navigation.

module((...), level_accessory_setup)
accessories = {

dukes_accesory_01 = {
    type = "_grid",
    name = "SPAWN",
    layer = "race01",
    transform = {
      {
        -4.37114E-08,
      },
      {
      },
      {
        -4.37114E-08
      },
      {
      }
    },
    colour = {
    }
  },
}

*I also needed to add a few other scripts to the level to make it work in C:MD, particularly the script which controls the intro camera, but that's neither here nor there.

Edited by: Trent on Wed, 11/01/2017 - 21:38

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 11/01/2017 - 22:07

Thanks. Give me a few days to assimilate what you said after I hopefully get over this damn flu.

EDIT The problem was my Pivot was set too low I assumed it was at 0,0,0. But it was at the center of the model.

Edited by: starbuck on Thu, 12/01/2017 - 02:01

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Thu, 12/01/2017 - 10:59

Yup, I'm glad you managed to figure out what I was saying. Another recommendation of mine would be to make a null node as the root node and position it at 0,0,0 and then parent everything to that instead of using a model node as the root. That way you can be certain the root's origin (or pivot, whatever you want to call it) is always at 0,0,0.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 29/03/2017 - 20:24

OK Trent I just started up trying to do my map again.

At the present I cant recall the best way to upload my file so I hope you can guess the answer.

I had another stroke so I may be a little weird right now so here goes...

My model is at 0,0,0 and the "affect Pivot" is also at 0,0,0 so why am I and the opponents 30 feet in the air above the map driving on a glass ceiling ? The TOP of the glass ceiling. Right side up not upside down..

Thanks again.

I parented the file and the same thing happened. Here is the MAX file and the unMinged map. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nq5qieyi8wirel/dukes.rar?dl=0

PS as of my second stroke in life now, this may be the last and only project I am working on

Edited by: starbuck on Thu, 30/03/2017 - 19:38

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Fri, 31/03/2017 - 11:07

I'm not sure what you're doing but level.cnt has the root dukes object positioned at [-8.155338, -25.6116, -23.60992], not [0,0,0] as it should be. Dukes.cnt however looks correct. Are you remembering to export the cnt to level.cnt and not dukes.cnt?

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 31/03/2017 - 16:45

I may have sent you an older file. I remember "zeroing" it before zipping it up.

Didnt think about the level.CNT.Copied I think from an old map ?

Damn glad I am not a rocket scientist. Get back to you in a few days.

EDIT Saved as a level.CNT now I am back on the ground, Thanks. I will clean it up later. Christ I am getting old. :P

Edited by: starbuck on Fri, 31/03/2017 - 17:06

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 09/04/2017 - 22:39

OK I am getting pissed off. NONE of my models are showing up on the map in game. Even though my car is bouncing and exploding on "invisible curbs". Its been a freaking month and I am really getting pissed off, probably because of my stroke and forgetting the SIMPLEST thing !!

The only portion of the map showing up is the "main square" which is the map name. (dukes)

I dont get it. I make car models and all the parts show up in the game.

I WANT to try making a map but dammit !!!!!!

Trent I need a really big favor. Can you post a sample map in Max 15 format ? Even one of the map sets you already made ? I would really appreciate it. I will look at it and try to work it out. If you cant I understand. I know how busy you are.

Now I DID import the Cindustrial_b level.cnt and i opened up as one object . Is that your secret ? Cause I am trying to make each building separate. Tried merging the meshes but I must be doing something wrong.

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 10/04/2017 - 05:44

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Mon, 10/04/2017 - 10:08

Have you set the materials correctly? Incorrect materials can result in objects not being rendered. Also have you made sure to tick the "bake scale" option in the CNT modifier?

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 10/04/2017 - 18:20

Give me time to check the materials, and yes I always tick "bake scale" I am going to wipe most of the files out and try again with one object again later.

When I merge objects that "materials ID" box that shows up confuses me.

I exported an object to 3ds with anther object attached already so I am going to wipe it clean and try with just that object.

It may take a while, got a head cold :P

Just realized it I think its because I didnt UVW map !

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 10/04/2017 - 20:00

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 10/04/2017 - 22:25

Thanks again for trying Trent. Your suggestion helped lead me to the problem that it might be the UVW mapping parameter.

I loaded an obsolete model and UVW mapped one object and they all sort of showed up.

EDIT It was your suggestion about the material IDs officially, cause sometimes the object showed up.

Now I gotta try to rebuild my map from all the 3DS files I exported them to. Its like a junkyard out there but I will also look toward your solution as well.

Again Thanks for all your help. People like you keep this "dead" forum going.

Edited by: starbuck on Mon, 10/04/2017 - 22:49

Pages