You are here

OK I made a map (sort of) imported easily from C2 (for a start)

Pages

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 20:09

Ah I think I know what's causing the problem with the filenames, I'll look into fixing it in the next update to Minge. For the time being avoid spaces and just use letters, numbers and underscores for MDL names until I get the fix out.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 20:40

Well at least we found another bug that can be avoided. But at least Zipping them up avoids the issue with names I hope.

Now guys , here is the next issue.

I have tried in the material editor reloading the PNG textures of the (hundred) materials that show up in the bottom of Flummery. One at a time mind you :) That didnt do nothing. The models in Flummery do instantly save the changes in the view windows.

Is there a way to get the new PNG textures on the models without sticking them on there one polygon at a time ? (Of for example placing them in 3D Studio ?) Or do I have to place them one polygon at a time basically like PT2.

And if so I tried using the little "select" button above the windows but that doesnt seem to do anything.

How does placing textures on there work ?

Edited by: starbuck on Sat, 11/07/2015 - 20:43

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 20:47

I haven't the slightest clue what you're asking.

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Making C:R mods happen since '14!

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:01

Errol wrote:
I haven't the slightest clue what you're asking.

I know I sound strange but my brain aint working. How do you place textures on the models now because it doesnt seem to work like PT2.

I tried using the select button (V) but it doesnt change anything I select or select a polygon.

Also in PT2 on the left you used to be able to see an item closeup in PT2 by double clicking on it and nothing happens their either.

Basically for me I can only zoom in the windows, rotate the models, really nothing else when clicking inside the veiw windows.

Edited by: starbuck on Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:05

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:08

And then the other issue is in Flummery using a PNG material the models in the windows show the textures on them in the windows but they come out blank in the game.

And yes today is one of my "bad days" where I can not even tie my shoelaces together.

Edited by: starbuck on Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:09

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:20

starbuck wrote:
How do you place textures on the models now because it doesnt seem to work like PT2.

...snip...

Basically for me I can only zoom in the windows, rotate the models, really nothing else when clicking inside the veiw windows.

Flummery doesn't do any of that material stuff yet as the main focus is on supporting people making their models in other 3D packages. As of time of writing you can't apply materials to objects in Flummery.

I'm also not following why you'd need to apply materials or why you're loading PNGs or anything. The basic C2 to C:R process is:

File > Open > Carmageddon 2 > Actor
Select root node (the first node under Scene in the Overview panel)
Object > Modify model... > Modify geometry...
Scaling
By axis x: 6.9, y: 6.9, z: -6.9
Check apply to hierarchy
Ok
Tools > Carmageddon 2 > Convert &Actors to Entities
File > Save As... > Carmageddon Reincarnation > Environment

That should get you a fully textured map ready for C:R. You'll still need to do the paperwork, copy some files about and whatnot but that is the basic flow.

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:27

Thanks for those steps.

I think I am getting too mixed up with PT2.

I tried a lot of different things except "Tools > Carmageddon 2 > Convert &Actors to Entities". And I was doing 2.0 not 6.9. I also did them in some ungodly order too. Forgot what I was doing a lot of times.

Think I will take a break for the day. Thanks again for the details

Edited by: starbuck on Sat, 11/07/2015 - 21:28

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 11/07/2015 - 22:55

Trent I did like Errol said and finally got the polygons untextured to show up in the game. Of course they are blank just like my latest result was. But at least they were sized correctly.

How did you get the textures onto the original maps when you made your maps?

All I can think is the hard way, by hand in 3Dstudio. Thats after importing it into 3dsmax 2.0 then exporting the dats to 3DS format or something.

Because Exporting to FBX than into 3DSmax gives me a blank cube in 3Ds max. .Errol probably knows this but exporting to FBX doesnt work. Even if you re-import it back into Flummery. And I have every version of Max since 2010.

EDIT I was able to import a map into 3DSMax that loked like the map. It must have been an error on my part. Something about the selection of the object or something.

Or am I doing something stupid again :) And if you see the misc file here and there (like that one you mentioned) in my files thats because I am the messy type of scientist. :)

Edited by: starbuck on Sun, 12/07/2015 - 02:18

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sun, 12/07/2015 - 08:46

I really don't understand what the problem is.

Loading a C2 map into Flummery will also load and apply the textures. Flummery has native tiff support and will load any referenced texture from the tiffrgb folder inside the map folder. Then, when saving as map you tick the "process materials" checkbox and it will convert those tiffs into TDX files ready for C:R.

Also, why would you be importing into 3dsmax 2.0? Harmalarm wrote scripts to load and save all C1 and C2 formats natively into modern versions of 3D Studio Max.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 12/07/2015 - 17:30

I am just so forgetful nowadays Errol. :) I forgot what I did and didnt do yesterday.

Will try that later. I thought it didnt work right. Now I cant be sure.

I am sure I got Harmalarms scripts but forgot I had them

Edited by: starbuck on Sun, 12/07/2015 - 19:09

Pages

randomness