You are here

FYI Played in Windows 10

Pages

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
FYI Played in Windows 10
#1 Submitted: Sun, 21/06/2015 - 21:31

Just Installed Windows 10 preview (which is a free Beat BTW anyone can get early.

Installed very easily. Only problem was the "Making sure you're ready to install" screen which after 20 minutes I thought it was stuck there, it actually works but takes about an hour or more.

Steam worked no problem and definitely CR Ran great, even better that Windows 8.1.

In Windows 8.1 the game was somehow "locking" at 30 FPS with VSync off. Running it in Windows 10 I was shown the FPS climb to 45 FPS in the first match.

I have a GeForce GTX 750 TI I am running it on and a 3.8 Four core processor.

Dont know if the cores are coming into play. And the colors and gameplay look absolutely stunning.

Now all I gotta hope for is if Microsoft follows thru with streaming Windows 10 PC games over to the xbox ONE which they are still up in the air on that. And no I did not get that backwards. They said they are considering it streaming Windows 10 games TO the Xbox ONE and if you remember they said that the ONE will not play 360 games and in about 3 months that will be a reality that was never able to happen.

A little off topic Windows 10 will be free if you download it until July 2016. Officially it comes out July 29th and you can tell your PC to download it in advance anytime. But right now you can get the Beta Insider preview for free by just signing into the site. Just remember that you most likely will NEVER be able to turn your PC back to the old operating system without reformatting..

Edited by: starbuck on 21/06/2015 - 21:34

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

elricehran's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 21/06/2015 - 21:41

One thing to note: The Windows 10 preview is most likely going to outperform the full release. Microsoft does this in every preview, applications have better threading and processor handling to aid in development of compatible programs. It's good to know that things are working well in Windows 10 however! Thanks for the post.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 21/06/2015 - 21:54

elricehran wrote:
One thing to note: The Windows 10 preview is most likely going to outperform the full release. Microsoft does this in every preview, applications have better threading and processor handling to aid in development of compatible programs. It's good to know that things are working well in Windows 10 however! Thanks for the post.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane when I tried Windows 8 before it came out:)

But I always tweak Windows majorly. Dont want to do it to the Beta yet.

So far I am happy with W10. Havent been thrown a curve ball yet. Waited about a year before I could trust the beta. Probably have one update this month until release. I mostly got it early to see if CR ran better.

Windows 10 preview runs better than the Windows 8 preview and I loved Windows 8.

Gonna try the Steering Wheels and stuff today or tomorrow.

So far every program I had ran on W10 including Virtualbox.

Edited by: starbuck on Sun, 21/06/2015 - 21:55

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

TheCoach's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 05:45

Start menu is still kind of broken though. Otherwise I agree that it's probably the best Windows yet.

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 07:36

Anyone tryed older games like maybe dos games, not from GOG ?.

And is the OS different from win 7 ? i hear its got a service similar to windows server 2012 is it a windows server based windows if so ill keep well away from it.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 10:31

lemonrev wrote:
Anyone tryed older games like maybe dos games, not from GOG ?.

And is the OS different from win 7 ? i hear its got a service similar to windows server 2012 is it a windows server based windows if so ill keep well away from it.

Coach I agree it the start menu sucks. I hate searching for a program on the PC and it first searches the web. They should default it to search the PC first. If I wanted to search the web I would have used a G D web browser, right ? :)

LemonRev Windows 10 will not play older DOS games just like all the other Windows versions out there. You need (for example) VirtualBox, Dosbox, GOG etc still to run those programs. I havent delved into it too much but it feels like a marriage of Win 7 and 8. With for example updating is still like windows 7.

Being somewhat buggy and having programs hang too long. A lot of games seem to run better.

flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 10:45

So if you install windows preview now, you than get full version for free ?

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 12:22

flykas wrote:

Full version will already be free if you download it from release date July 29th 2015 to July 28th 2016. You dont need to download the Preview. Thats just so you can get a taste of it sooner. Windows 10 will be free anytime on your existing PC as long as you DL it before the first year is up.

Edited by: starbuck on Fri, 26/06/2015 - 12:23

YautjaLord's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 15:05

@starbuck:

That's the thing, i bet Win10 is even better in loading from SSD, will have DX12, will love current & mos'def future multicore CPUs, etc..., but i fuckin HATE it's UI & the way it operates for me as admin. I hate AMD for that matter as well: their new Zen CPUs that'll come out in 2016 sound great on a paper & these CPUs - yeah, CPUs - will be aimed @ high-end sector of the market, but i bet all these CPUs features will have all their potentials unlocked in this OS & i still not willing to use anything other than Win7. The OS's support (Win7) ends in 2020, for fuck's sake! The OS takes seconds to load, either from turning the power button or from restart! One thing is given - i'll watch the Win10 vids on YT to get an in-depth insight on this thing*.

*For a lack of a better word.

P.S. I also want to know how AvP3 (game & benchmark), Serious Sam HD: 1st & 2nd Encounters, Serious Sam 3: BFE & other stuff runs on this OS, probably runs but the question is how. lol

Edited by: YautjaLord on Fri, 26/06/2015 - 16:49

Fuel's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 15:20

flykas wrote:

Just to clarify something here - you get it for free if you've got a Genuine version of Windows 7 or windows 8.1 only. If you've got just bog standard 8 you'll need to upgrade to 8.1. If you get the preview, it doesn't automatically entitle you to an upgrade if you haven't previously been using win 7 or win 8. To quote this article:

Quote:
Aul updated the Microsoft blog post today to clarify things once and for all, and it’s bad news for freeloaders: you’re not getting an activated version of Windows 10 RTM (the final build) for free, unless you originally installed the Windows 10 Preview on a device running an activated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1.

If you meet these conditions and have done all your windows updates, there'll be an icon in your taskbar that looks like the windows logo where you can 'reserve' your free upgrade.

Edit: Taken starbuck's quote out and changed wording a bit.

Edited by: Fuel on Fri, 26/06/2015 - 20:45
starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 26/06/2015 - 17:39

"Just to clarify something here - you get it for free if you've got a Genuine version of Windows 7 or windows 8.1 only."

Never stated what you need to get Windows 10 for free. Thats what the internet is for. This is not a discussion on a Windows 10 forum. Its bad enough this has gone off topic as it is, you really wnat to start an argument about something so far off topic that can easily be Googled? I am discussing how Windows 10 runs Carmageddon so far. And so what Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade from Windows 8 so there really isnt a problem. Again this stuff could have easily been googled. I am not going to do a freaking detailed report on the ins and outs of Windows 10 because this is a CARMAGEDDON forum.

"Also, if you get the preview, it doesn't automatically entitle you to an upgrade"

As you noticed in my quote I said you dont need the Preview. No where did I say downloading the Preview will guarantee you an upgrade. Remember you quoted me saying this "Full version will already be free if you download it from release date July 29th 2015 to July 28th 2016" and "Windows 10 will be free anytime on your existing PC as long as you DL it before the first year is up."

My quote "THATS SO YOU CAN GET A TASTE OF IT SOONER". Hence you need to DOWNLOAD Windows 10 within those dates.

This quote "unless you originally installed the Windows 10 Preview on a device running an activated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1"

You cant install the Preview on Windows 8.0. You can only install the Preview in the "Eight series" if you ARE running Windows 8.1 (the UPDATE version). If you are running Windows 8 regular you cant install the Preview. Nor will it count if any versions you have are pirate versions. So actually you arent right either because you need to have Windows 8.1 UPDATE., Windows 8.1 regular will not qualify. QUOTE "The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update)."

But again that is going way off topic now. Thats what Google is for.

You really need to stop adding stuff I never said.

Edited by: starbuck on Fri, 26/06/2015 - 18:03

Pages

randomness