You are here

The Obligatory Twisted Metal Mods

Doctor Fraggington's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
The Obligatory Twisted Metal Mods
#1 Submitted: Thu, 18/06/2015 - 22:09

Beginning with the most obligatory one:

Notes:
*The head will catch fire after taking damage or severing, and extinguish on full repair.
*The head will deal weapon damage to opponents. Try repairing after it falls on or over them!
*The head will bob about on that little spring based on movement.
*When fully repaired, Sweet Tooth will have persistent Suicidal Peds. Someone on this forum had this idea for an ice cream truck.
*There will actually be signs covering the miniguns that will easily break away. It makes more sense for the persistent PUp.
*Textures will be rusty and faded on the outside and blood smeared on the inside.
*The miniguns will spin based on how fast the vehicle is moving, as suggested by BloodstAlexTSK
*Will have sliding doors on the side.
*Rolling door will come loose and lose individual segments with damage, and once loose will roll up and down based on movement
*It will NOT transform into a giant robot.

I'm probably assuming a lot about what's possible in this game. I'll substitute and compromise where needed.

To do:
*add monitor
*add windshield wipers
*add dead body and ice cream tubs to glass top freezer
*add magnetic knife rack with knives (and one scoop) over sink (not pictured)
*add Napalm Cone stockpile somewhere in the back
*lots of beveling
*make better wheels
*make undercarriage (suspension, drive train, hubs)
*make engine
*make driver
*make textures

Might do:
*change ice cream ornaments to soft serve type
*detail miniguns
*add more to the chair
*tweak spring
*misc details if the triangle count is arbitrarily low enough
*set a cash register in the torture chair.

AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Thu, 18/06/2015 - 22:19

Looking good, still a long list of things to do!

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 02:12

At least you properly spelled LOSE and LOOSE properly . Very hard to find someone like that on the internet. :)

If what is added to the notes is actually programmable then this might be the coolest vehicle so far. You would need a scary sounding Ice Cream tune.

Instead of "Mr Softee" you should have a scary name (like Mr Soft Death, Dr Kevorkians Death Flavored Ice Cream ) , and shoot cones out the machine guns. And an ice cream cone on the shifter with a skull or something. As a matter of fact put skulls on top of all the ice cream cones. Like a mint chocolate chip skull or a cherry vanilla skull. And a sign that just says "BEWARE OF CHILDREN". OF would be crossed off. And when you hit someone sprinkles would shoot out.

Just gotta have a good camera angle when driving..

Good looking work BTW.

Edited by: starbuck on Fri, 19/06/2015 - 02:23

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Wilbur Cobb's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 03:57

WHOO! YES! I applaud! I approve! I applicate! Somehow!
I'd pay you if you kept making more TM mods like this after its completion.
I don't use my money wisely as it is, anyway

See, Stiffshifter is superior to all opposition. It's basic science.
Steamy

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 09:13

Excellent work, Fragg!

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

Razor's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModeratorCompetition Winner
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 10:22

Damn that's looking good!

For all of my Carmageddon stuff visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com
Visit my retro gaming website @ www.retrogameshelf.com

shane's picture
Community Manager
Stainless
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 10:46

Wow! Awesome - looking real good!

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 15:34

I think some of those features won't really be possible, at least not until the very distant future. But damn, even if you released it without a single one of them, I'm sure it'd kick ass!

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 19/06/2015 - 20:44

Some nice looking WIP there Doc :)

The majority of what is on that list is easy enough to setup. The problematic ones I see on that list are:

Quote:
*The head will catch fire after taking damage or severing, and extinguish on full repair.

You can set a SFX/particle effect emitter for when a part takes damage or breaks off (usually used for glass), I don't know if you can use fire effects

Quote:
*The head will deal weapon damage to opponents. Try repairing after it falls on or over them!

If the head is only intended to do damage when it falls of - you can set a mass value for it, but it is unlikely to do much damage. You could add a weapon to it, however I'm not 100% sure if weapons are disabled from parts when they detach

Quote:
*Rolling door will come loose and lose individual segments with damage, and once loose will roll up and down based on movement

If you want the door to roll all the way up and down with each segment rotating as it does, that is not currently possible. You can set the top part to rotate when damaged (via a joint), and have each additional segment as detachable from it, but unless it's been changed each segment cannot have it's own joint (jointed parts cannot be attached to other jointed parts)

Otherwise everything else on the list is easily setup. The minigun animation could also be linked to engine RPM if you want. The sliding doors can be setup using a sliding joint. I don't think any of the official cars use sliding joints, so it might take a bit of experimenting.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

Doctor Fraggington's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 04/07/2015 - 06:18

@starbuck:
but its name is Sweet Tooth.

@ Wilbur Cobb:
I definitely plan to make all the unique cars from the first two games including bosses, and have equally ridiculous and likey unfeasable ideas for them as well. As with Sweet Tooth, they will mostly be based on their earliest appearance but with liberties taken to bring out the "character" of the vehicle I feel has emerged in the series, .
Not as interested in making the unique cars from Black, Small Brawl, or PS3, though. I am interested in making the cars from Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012, or at least Meat Wagon. Because it's a Wienermobile wearing a hockey mask.

@ Mad Mike:
About the head catching fire after taking damage and extinguishing on repair, isn't that what engines do when a car is wrecked? Can that event only be triggered by wrecking? and yeah, I meant that I wanted the head to always deal weapon damage, not on detach.

If I can't have nested joints, what about a damage- and then physics-dependent rigged animation? The first frame is the door closed, the last frame is the door rolled all the way up, and it stays on the first frame until the door comes loose, then transitions between the first and final frame based on vehicle movement?

Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

I've been avoiding the thread to better concentrate. I swear I have been working on this, but I've mostly been picking at various details more than completing the list.

Now I'm making the body for the freezer. I'm sure I'll change his features around a bit or a lot.

Edited by: Doctor Fraggington on Sat, 04/07/2015 - 10:42
Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 04/07/2015 - 09:27

Quote:
About the head catching fire after taking damage and extinguishing on repair, isn't that what engines do when a car is wrecked? Can that event only be triggered by wrecking? and yeah, I meant that I wanted the head to always deal weapon damage, not on detach.

Engines catch fire as they linked to the 'engine' damage section in the systemsdamage.xml. You can set up a manual equivalent through the Add_DetachPartEmitter() function, using "F_carflame", but the fire won't extinguish when the part re-attaches as the vehicle is repaired.

As for the head doing weapon damage, you can add a weapon to the heads structure data, but 'weapons' will need to actually collide with cars/peds/objects to do anything. You could alter the collision bounds for the head to achieve that :)

Quote:
If I can't have nested joints, what about a damage- and then physics-dependent rigged animation? The first frame is the door closed, the last frame is the door rolled all the way up, and it stays on the first frame until the door comes loose, then transitions between the first and final frame based on vehicle movement?

None of the current controllers for part animations are linked to damage. It might be possible to fully animate the door manually using rotate & slide functions, but it wouldn't be controlled by damage, or at least not at this point unless Stainless add some kind of damage dependant animation controller

Regardless it is looking good :)

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

randomness