You are here

Final release different from expectations

Pages

Mother Trucker's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Final release different from expectations
#1 Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 14:39

I thought that cars like Rig O'Mortis, King Merc and Hammerhead would return in final release, as well as the Pratcam with original actor, but Stainless only mentioned 24 cars already listed in the Drivers and Vehicles section of the game and not even the Pratcam.
Can you tell me why, please?

"The mother of all truckers, this little old lady has more than a zimmer frame to defend herself with. It's pensioner payback time..."

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 14:50

Things where cut, i know they mentioned a part of the UI (not the pratcam) as being cut during one of the video streams, so i guess thats where they mentioned all cut content? (wouldnt know, have only seen the first 3-4 streams)

Im not at all happy about this either, i will look into adding pratcam trough mods some time soon (when i remember where those youtube videos are, and the engine is final enough to start screwing it over with custom UI)

Btw not to be a dick but there actually was a thread about this already, albeit with a bit more dramatic title:
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/28216

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 16:08

Well, Rig O'Mortis was never planned for the game so that's why it isn't in the game. King Merc and Project X were always said they woud be the lst cars made because they depended on Batwick creating the Tracked Vehicle tech and, for a long time now, they have said there was a very good chance that tech wouldnlt be finished until after the game is released due to Batwick being neck deep in other more important tasks such as improving the damage system, working on the AI and other such areas. They still plan on doing them, they just will either be in an update or as DLC. No other vehicles have been cut from the game and almost the full roster has been known for a long time now, with the $10k backer cars being revealed with the beta.

Pratcam fell out of scope, as has been explained by Nobby on numerous occassions now, because of a number of reasons including not having room in the HUD for it, it not being as important as other features so it kept getting bumped down the task list and, most importantly, it never working as well as they wanted it to no matter what they tried. It sucks but that's game development for you, some things end up being cut even if they were features the developers wanted to get in.

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 16:36

Trent wrote:
that's game development for you,

That sentence pretty much sums it up.

Developing a videogame begins with a lots of ideas an a vision of all those ideas together, at some point you need to stop adding ideas.

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 19:15

Thats why I only get excited about what I KNOW will be in the game.

For example the next Terminator Movie , even though I am a big fan I only get excited about what is actually news. If I assume something will be there than if its not then I blame myself for assuming.

If you dont get your hopes up you got nothing to get destroyed.

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

Rosario_SG's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 20:33

The pratcam was removed because was ugly and caused a lot of issues.

The original pratcam was a video (very few frame of a very low resolution video). The idea of the pratcam was appealing in C:R but to make it work correctly with a 3d model require a lot of works.
A - The pratcam was actually a 3d render of the actual character in the cockpit. That model was designed to be rendered from outside, so wasn't very high poly. Even the texture wasn't really high-res. Cause it's the same guy inside the car make it hi-poly was a performance bottleneck.
B - Also cause is the same character that is inside the cockpit when the cockpit was destroyed the guy in the prat-cam got a very big head ache, sometime was causing rendering issues and artifact.
C - Most important the character was missing any expressiveness, even the low quality two frame video was making a better impression that this guy watching you continuously with a grin on his face turning the head sometime. No laugh, no scream... very disappointing.

Cause the pratcam was a nice thing to have, but was far from being completed, and we have bigger problem to solve, so they decide that was a better to remove it.

I didn't design the feature,but I recognise that create another high character with different animation is too expensive.

Graphics developer at Stainless Games
On steam as: ilmale08

troyshaun's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 22:13

Thanks for that reply! that puts all the pieces together.

It's actually unfortunate though, I was hoping the answer would be more like "we are holding it back as an add on" as opposed to "can't do it the mechanic does not work" :(

At least if it were a time thing, I would happily pay the money for it.

The Urban Spaceman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sun, 22/03/2015 - 03:08

Yeah thanks for the explanation Rosario. I thought the plan was to record fresh video footage for each driver. I thought we were getting treated to Nobby starring as Psycho Pitbull & Batwick starring as Vlad! I guess that is just too big a task. It would be almost impossible to pre record every possible scenario taking cockpit deformation into account. The video footage simply wouldn't fit with what is happening on screen. With that in mind the next best thing would be a high poly ped complete with facial animation for the players driver but again that is a lot of work plus it would add to an already high demand on PC hardware.

Shit. I think we're just gonna have to accept Pratcam is a thing of the past :(

Unless someone or a group are able & willing to mod it in. We can always hope.

Edited by: The Urban Spaceman on Sun, 22/03/2015 - 03:13
Mother Trucker's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 22/03/2015 - 15:53

In the poll about Pratcam question ( http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/poll/693 )
the choice Like the original video, with "actors" got the majority of votations, so why you told me about 3D models of drivers?
Tony could return with the same original idea of Carmageddon but with a better framework and resolution, it would be very funny!

"The mother of all truckers, this little old lady has more than a zimmer frame to defend herself with. It's pensioner payback time..."

Mad Max RW's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 22/03/2015 - 16:45

I also don't recall ever wanting 3D modeled prat-cams for every driver, but optional high-def FMV remakes of Die Anna and Max Damage. I haven't been following this detail too closely because it honestly doesn't matter much to me.

Edited by: Mad Max RW on Sun, 22/03/2015 - 16:45
HenitoKisou's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sun, 22/03/2015 - 17:17

Two main drivers selectable from the start, detailed models of drivers in their accurate cars is fine to me after all that blocky stuff in Carma2. If models were used in pratcam it would look like dummies in crash test so not much loss. While not in main game maybe add option to re-enable them (although not supported officially) in kind of dev/debug/cheat mode and probably later modders can re-implement and fix that stuff..

Edited by: HenitoKisou on Sun, 22/03/2015 - 17:19

Spread the word, spread the image, spread the virus.

Pages

randomness