You are here

WTF THIS NEWS MAKES ME CRINGE!!!

Pages

The Sword O Mighty's picture
Fluffy Bunny
WTF THIS NEWS MAKES ME CRINGE!!!
#1 Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 01:58

http://www.pcgamer.com/carmageddon-reincarnation-to-get-full-release-in-april/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Please tell me that's a goof, in no way is this game ready for a official release, though the beta build placed in the final assets etc, it also was a giant step back as far as the user base that could run it, more then half of the user base can no longer run the game, of the original user base supporting said game. Back during the alpha build the game ran like butter on Vista, now you get a splash screen error, and its not just me a lot of people who perfectly fall under the system requirements, that's without saying I've heard about network night mares and horrid lag issues which continue to plague the game :(. Please Stainless Steel you guys are one of the best parts of my childhood, don't half ass this.

HenitoKisou's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 02:50

You do understand that beta content is not exactly the same stuff as their internal dev builds, so actually there can be difference in state of accomplish between what people have to play and what is being working on.

Spread the word, spread the image, spread the virus.

magmus's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 05:28

Most likely the final release has heavily improved performance, even their latest Beta release could be different than what they were primarily working on at the time.

Wait and see, hopefully it will be released with little or no performance issues.

Purple44's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 07:48

But would it not be better to keep updating the beta until it more stable and runs well for most players before releasing the final version?

You only get one shot on release day, no do overs if it goes badly!!

flykas's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 07:59

Purple44 wrote:
But would it not be better to keep updating the beta until it more stable and runs well for most players before releasing the final version?

You only get one shot on release day, no do overs if it goes badly!!

But they have limited resources. I think it is as far as thay can go with a beta. Though they will be updating it after release.

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 08:07

The reason they won't do anymore updates till the Gold Release date is that, it takes a lot of resources and time from the dev team to compile and manage a Steam Beta patch (you can hear that yourself in yesterday's Twitch Stream if you want).

Now the main problems people are raging about, are Crashes and Optimisation. Yes, they're big issues, but nothing that can be fixed in a 5 weeks time (probably they've been working for more than that anyway).

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 09:30

The Sword O Mighty wrote:
Back during the alpha build the game ran like butter on Vista, now you get a splash screen error, and its not just me a lot of people who perfectly fall under the system requirements

The game was never designed to run on Vista, the minimum requirements have always said the game needs Windows 7 to run. The fact the pre-alpha ran on Vista just was dumb luck. The vast majority of people getting the splash screen error on Windows 7 can fix it by simply making sure Windows is fully updated. Those who refuse to update Windows only have themselves to blame.

Purple44's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 11:07

I think Stainless will be in for some bad press if splash screen error is not fix by release day and these unsuspecting new buyers of Carmageddon: Reincarnation go start their new game and find out it don't load and wonder why not.

I have had to get newer versions of Directx or a missing Directx dll file ( game warned me of what dll file I was missing ) to play my PC games, but in my many, many years of gaming with a computer, I do not recall having to get Windows fully updated to play a game, except for doing Windows service packs. I'm OK with doing service packs, but not OK doing updates\hotfixes for Windows that may cause a problem with my games.

If this error is cause by a missing file or Windows 7 needing a newer version, then file should come with the install and be put into C:R install folder or error message need to say what file is missing.

Edited by: Purple44 on Thu, 19/03/2015 - 11:11
Errol's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 11:48

Purple44 wrote:
but not OK doing updates\hotfixes for Windows that may cause a problem with my games.

Yeah, fuck keeping things up to date! Computer security? Pfft... I have Norton.

Updates on any OS are par for the course. I never knew that actively NOT updating was even a thing. People will never cease to amaze me, it is just a shame that my amazement is always with how dumb they can be.

Now, I'm off, I have a grumpy post to make on another developers forum about how they're refusing to support my Windows ME computer.

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Making C:R mods happen since '14!

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 11:50

That's just plain stupid. The whole point about windows updates is they fix problems with windows, the problem C:R has running on versions of Windows 7 which aren't updated is because of a problem with WINDOWS which the update FIXES. If an update causes problems for a piece of software then it's up to that developer to fix their software, it's not up to other developers to make sure their software works with every single combination of being updated or not. The update in question fixes a problem with the Windows Graphics subsytem, so it is not simply a case of "a missing file" which can be distributed, if they could distribute it then it would obviously be just like installing the update.

This update has got a reputation as breaking things, but that's mostly hyperbole as there's only two situations where it causes problems:
1) if you're a DirectX developer you need to update your development environment
2) if you're running a laptop with specific combinations of Intel integrated GPU and low end AMD mobile GPUs which wouldn't run the game anyway. Apparently another windows update fixes and updating drivers fixes this problem anyway.

If you actually, really do have an actual problem with the specific update then complaining about needing it would be fair enough, but that's not the case with anyone I've seen complaining about it. It's always that they don't want to install updates because they "may cause a problem with my games" or "I read people have problems with it."

Stainless have identified the problem and the fix is to update windows. If you want to play the game then update Windows. If you don't want to do that then, like I said, that's your own problem. It's no more legitimate a complaint than complaining about having to update your graphics driver for a game to work.

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 12:00

Purple44 wrote:
If this error is cause by a missing file or Windows 7 needing a newer version, then file should come with the install and be put into C:R install folder or error message need to say what file is missing.

So you admit not updating Windows cause you're afraid it might crash other games.
But on the other hand you want them to add in the installation file, that same (or those) Windows Updates that are required to play the game. That makes no sense mate. You don't want it on your PC, so why would it be ok for Stainless to install those updates (instead of Microsoft)?

Mate, i've had problems with Windows Updates before (on XP, not on 7), but since they've decided to fuck things up totally (by removing the Sound Mixer from Windows 7 and forth), i had no problems whatsoever caused by Windows Updates. So really the problem is not Stainless. The problem is that you don't want to update your OS and play this game (and possibly more in the future).

Pages

randomness