You are here

Powerup Instant Selector, best thing since sliced bread? or worst game mechanic since quicktime events?

Pages

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Powerup Instant Selector, best thing since sliced bread? or worst game mechanic since quicktime events?
#1 Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 13:41

Hey all,

(Tried finding a thread on this subject but no luck, if there is one, then by all means, merge this with the proper thread)
Was just wondering, how are people feeling about the Powerup Instant Selector?

For those un-aware, this is the Powerup Instant Selector:

(as most of you will know) in the middle you find your currently selected powerup, on the top-right you find the remaining count of your current selected powerup, the 4 containers around the current selected powerup make up the Powerup Instant Selector, using that, you can buy powerups that you've collected in the past.

In my opinion, this Powerup Instant Selector doesnt belong in Carmageddon, ive voiced this concern in the past and the general consensus at that time seemed to be 'dont whine about progress', but lately i've been polling my (C:R playing) steam friends, and none seems to use it?

So thats why im making a topic now, i would love to hear from you, my fellow players, do you use the Powerup Instant Selector? If you do, why? If you dont, why not?

Thanks

Edited by: suicidal_b... on 17/03/2015 - 13:45

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 14:08

suicidal_banana wrote:
Hey all,

(Tried finding a thread on this subject but no luck, if there is one, then by all means, merge this with the proper thread)
Was just wondering, how are people feeling about the Powerup Instant Selector?

For those un-aware, this is the Powerup Instant Selector:

(as most of you will know) in the middle you find your currently selected powerup, on the top-right you find the remaining count of your current selected powerup, the 4 containers around the current selected powerup make up the Powerup Instant Selector, using that, you can buy powerups that you've collected in the past.

In my opinion, this Powerup Instant Selector doesnt belong in Carmageddon, ive voiced this concern in the past and the general consensus at that time seemed to be 'dont whine about progress', but lately i've been polling my (C:R playing) steam friends, and none seems to use it?

So thats why im making a topic now, i would love to hear from you, my fellow players, do you use the Powerup Instant Selector? If you do, why? If you dont, why not?

Thanks

Don't know for I never learned to properly use PIS...

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 14:21

I don't even buy powerups, and I highly doubt I will unless I accidentally hit the corresponding key to do so.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 14:45

The PIS isn't just used for buying powerups, if you already have a powerup which is in one of the 4 slots then you can use the PIS to select that powerup without buying more, which is incredibly useful when you have lots of powerups and you want to select your favourite one. The downside is that if you don't have that powerup then it will try buying it, so it would be very useful if it would indicate if you already have the powerup.

I've found buying powerups is very useful, for example if you've been hopping across roofs and run out of kangaroos but need one more to get to where you want to go, otherwise you'd have to drop off and find more then start all over again. I'd say it certainly does have a place in the game and it's the sort of thing which if you don't want to use you don't have to so it doesn't hurt to be there. The prices of powerups definitely need some tweaking as there are some which can get you more credits back than it costs to buy them, which makes it possible to farm credits and break the leaderboards.

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 15:05

The cost of Power-ups bought using PIS (versus the potential rewards) definitely needs some attention. I found that the first time I went up against the Subpressor and used a Pelvic Thrust bought via PIS - that crash generated me double the purchase cost of the Power-up.

However, I don't generally use PIS often, mainly for testing car features I'm setting up (stinger for testing tire deflation, flaps for checking doors, hood, truck, etc)

I believe that if someone doesn't like the PIS, then they can simply choose not to use it.

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

Giblet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 18/03/2015 - 03:15

I don't use the PIS every race, but I do use it from time to time, and I feel the game has been improved for it. I think it adds several things to the game.

1. It makes the money mean something. Without something to spend it on, it's just a number that goes up and down from time to time.
  2. It rewards exploration in the early game. The more pickups you find, the more you have available.
  3. It gives you options and agency in tight spots.

I'm trying to think of something it detracts from the game and I honestly can't. And I don't consider "I never use it" to be a downside. That's not to say it's perfect. Like Trent mentioned, the fact it will instantly purchase a pickup if you accidently try to use one that you don't have yet is a bit annoying. There also does need to be some balancing done on the prices.

We all travel the road to the grave. It's a mistake to try and arrive there safely in a well preserved body; Rather one should skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, tires smoking, shouting 'WOW what a ride!'

jwb1971's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 18/03/2015 - 11:39

I don't really use it because it feels likes cheating to me. I agree with the post that said it gives you something to do with the "money". I always disable it when I host multiplayer. Maybe over time I'll use it more but for now the fun lies in finding just the right powerup at just the right time. Being able to select a PUp when you're about to be owned just feels like a cheat.

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 18/03/2015 - 16:11

Thanks for all the awnsers so far! keep em comming!

Edited by: suicidal_banana on Wed, 18/03/2015 - 16:11

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Thu, 19/03/2015 - 17:16

It's all about the balance. If it costs you your entire fortune to buy Solid Granite Car, you can invest in it, and people might find it cheap for you to get SGC all of a sudden. But once it ends, you'll be so poor that your meat will get tenderized. Risk vs reward. If the cost for the powerups is pretty small though, then yes, I agree it's stupid.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

starbuck's picture
Velociraptor Fister
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 20/03/2015 - 09:12

I also never really noticed it . I was too busy playing like the old carmageddon.

But then again I have ADD and usually only play the first level before wandering off.:)

Edited by: starbuck on Fri, 20/03/2015 - 09:13

Why is it that when you are a child at the dinner table you can get punished asking for someone to please pass you the fork and knife ?

The Urban Spaceman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 21/03/2015 - 22:11

Nice topic. I will start by repeating something I've said before. I don't understand why the abbreviation is PIS Powerup Instant Selector. This irks me. Surely it should be PISS Powerup Instant Selection System.

With regards to using PIS I have put at least 60 hours into the single player game since beta arrived but I still haven't used it once. The way I see it PIS has two separate functions. One is saving me from having to cycle through powerups to find one I already have & the other is enabling me to buy a specific powerup at a specific moment when I otherwise wouldn't have access to it. I like the first function but it is flawed because there is no indication when you have one of your presets in your inventory. If you think you do but you don't then you can kiss goodbye to a lot of credits. This leads on to my issue with the second function. I'm just not interested in spending loads of credits on a powerup. I guess kangaroo on command & wall climber would be handy to buy when killing all peds or some other specific task. Generally powerups are random pick ups & I like em that way.

In short. Stainless for the love of logic please change the abbreviation to PISS & please add a visual indicator for presets which are owned but not currently selected!

Edited by: The Urban Spaceman on Sat, 21/03/2015 - 23:40

Pages

randomness