You are here

Sale upon sale upon sale?

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Sale upon sale upon sale?
#1 Submitted: Mon, 16/03/2015 - 16:27

Heya,

Was just wondering, why is there a sale 'every 2 weeks'?
Im all for getting the whole world to play this, but to me it sorta gives off the idea that things are going bad with the finances and stainless is shy for money?

Any insights appreciated, also feel free to move to ks backer forum if this is too direct of a question to be visible too the public. Sorry if this was 'flagged' before, then just point me to the proper topic please :)

Edited by: suicidal_b... on 16/03/2015 - 16:27

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

skyNET's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Competition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 16/03/2015 - 16:55

I don't think that these sales net less money for Stainless in the long run. We're in Beta so this stands too: more players = more feedback = better game in the end.

And don't take this personal, but whenever I read comments about a sale liek "y u do dis", and "is cuntspiracy, dem have no moneys to finish da gaem" I always smell hypocrisy. I bought the game for the full price (which is more than some PP and KS backers pledged - for 15$ one could have the game which is not much more than the 50% sale was...), yet I don't feel cheated, because the journey from the first day of alpha until now and to the finished product in the future is worth the price for me. Part of this journey is what the 50% buyers are missing out.

edited a sentence.

Edited by: skyNET on Mon, 16/03/2015 - 16:56
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 16/03/2015 - 17:12

There hasn't been a sale every 2 weeks. The game's been in a sale 4 times in the last 10 months. The first was a 48 hour featured deal, the next two were part of the massive Autumn and Winter sales in which thousands of games are reduced and the most recent one was a midweek deal. The featured and midweek deals are both promotions which Valve organise and encourage developers to take part in for the huge amounts of publicity they give to the games. The current featured deal on Steam is F1 2014, which has been on sale more than 4 times in the last year and Codies definitely aren't "going bad with the finances".

It's not like Stainless have just randomly had their own sale to get a quick bit of cash, it's only been reduced as part of Steam's main types of promotional sales. Another point is that the publicity from having the game highlighted on the front page of Steam, along with being in the top sellers list and the "news" pop-up which appears after you close a game is worth far more than the money earned from in the sale.

Edited by: Trent on Mon, 16/03/2015 - 17:13

Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 13:22

Its been on sale more then 4 times though, theres several sites tracking steam sales, and they mention 6-9 sales.

But ok, guess im just seeing things, and i did skim over the fact that both Stainless and Valve can set up sales (so some sales are bound to have been done by Valve)

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 14:35

suicidal_banana wrote:
Its been on sale more then 4 times though, theres several sites tracking steam sales, and they mention 6-9 sales.

Link? I've only seen it on sale 4 times, which matches up with the 4 times Stainless has announced it being on sale and if it's on sale then Stainless would obviously publicise that fact to get as many people to buy it as possible. Some might see it as being on sale 5 times as it was one of the daily deals during the steam winter sale so it was reduced further on that day before going back to the previous sale price the following day, but both are still part of the same promotional event and not going on sale two separate times.

One site I found gets confused about the sales-within-sales of the Steam Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter sales and counts it going back up to the original sale price as another separate sale as can be seen here where it lists it going up to full price for 1 second before the daily deal and then going back to full price for a few minutes before returning the original sale price, those few minutes are no doubt a delay in the site checking again, so it's counting one sale as 3.

I did a further google to see if I could find some of these sites listing up to 9 sales, but the only one I've found listing more actual sales than the four I mentioned was this one which lists it as being on sale 5 times with the 4th being for the whole of January, which I can say with absolute certainty did not happen and none of the other sale tracking sites list it as being on sale during that period either.

Edited by: Trent on Tue, 17/03/2015 - 14:35

Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 17:07

Hmm, was looking at that same site, and did omit the 1 second prices.
http://steamsales.rhekua.com/search.php?term=carmageddon

To me that seemed like 9 sales, with the 6 latest still mentioned below the graph, but guess ive been making assumptions again, do'h!
Either way, all clear, when i started this topic i was thinking there have been like 20 sales hehe, guess im just seeing things.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Tue, 17/03/2015 - 17:24

Heh yeah, the graph is incredibly misleading, it even gives the impression that the game is still on sale when the sale ended on Friday ;)

randomness