You are here

WTF? $15 2012 backer finding carmageddon on steam sale for $15 in 2015

motorb's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
WTF? $15 2012 backer finding carmageddon on steam sale for $15 in 2015
#1 Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 10:58

Was there an email I missed? I saw the Beta come up a few weeks ago and after checking what my initial pledge was for, and after discussing with some friends, came to the conclusion that we didn't "pay for" the Beta. We had a chuckle about how the initial estimate of completion late 2013 is a bit far off (and the frustration to see all the mobile/side releases in the meantime). Fast forward to tonight and I see the Beta is on sale for $15.

WTF? I chucked in my hard-earned cash three years ago and now it's up on steam for the same amount? Do I even get a steam version or am I locked out of online multiplayer with my DRM-free version?

Fortunately, before making this post I had a look and this forum has links to a humble-bundle resender. Turns out I do have Steam access.... so why was I just sitting here waiting for it to make full release?

While it has been a long wait, I've taken comfort from both the ongoing progress emails and the no-bullshit approach to providing patches (now called DLC) and even bonuses like releasing older versions of carmageddon.

If only I realised I had current access to those versions!

Was this info about the humble bundle keys put out in the kickstarter mailout?
Could the Stainless team consider emailing a reminder before ignorant users such as myself spend extra dosh on steam for something we've already paid for?
And most concerning/depressing, is the $15 sale essentially the same deal as what I paid for mid 2012?

AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 11:17

I'm not sure what you mean by "is it the same deal?"

You paid for the full game so essentially yes its the same deal, the price will go back up the the regular 30 USD once the sale is over.

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 11:26

motorb wrote:
Was this info about the humble bundle keys put out in the kickstarter mailout?

Yup, "Project Update #58", sent on the 13th of March 2014.

motorb wrote:
And most concerning/depressing, is the $15 sale essentially the same deal as what I paid for mid 2012?

No clue what this means. Sorry.

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Making C:R mods happen since '14!

Yfrid's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 11:56

i think he's asking if getting the current C:R on steam for $15 has the same benefits as backing $15 back then (like future dlc)?

Edited by: Yfrid on Wed, 11/03/2015 - 11:56
AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 12:55

There won't be future DLC for those who purchased it through steam afaik, I'm pretty sure they will have to buy the DLC.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Wed, 11/03/2015 - 13:09

motorb wrote:
Could the Stainless team consider emailing a reminder before ignorant users such as myself spend extra dosh on steam for something we've already paid for?

They sent plenty of emails about the game's release to everyone as Kickstarter updates and newsletters where they clearly stated that the exclusive period for backers of $25 or higher was only the two weeks before it launched through Steam's Early Access for anyone to buy and play. There's also been literally hundreds of posts on the forum about it over the last year from people who similarly didn't realise they should already have access to the game. Barring going and knocking on each and every person's doors, there's not much more which they could have realistically done to inform ignorant people about it. The big issue here was the fact that Humble's email system fucked up sending out them emails to most of the backers which meant most people had to manually use the key re-sender leaving Stainless with literally no way of knowing who had received their keys and who didn't.

motorb wrote:

Why should that be concerning or depressing? As a backer you get all the DLC which will ever be released for the game for free where as anyone buying through Steam today will have to pay for DLC.

Rak's picture
Rak
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 12/03/2015 - 03:07

I'll admit I was one of those ignorant backers - pledge and forget, until I was reminded of it seeing it appear on steam.

I've sent emails, PMs etc, have had one response from Shane (a month later) advising to try the humble resender link, which didn't give me a cd-key. Still awaiting response to my reply.
I'd never received the usual kickstarter update emails which seemed odd come to think of it,but makes sense if there were issues with their mail out.

Some sort of response would be nice, I'm starting to lose faith. Either a cd key or refund. Where's the support at?

Kejnel's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 27/03/2015 - 11:33

Bloodstability wrote:
There won't be future DLC for those who purchased it through steam afaik, I'm pretty sure they will have to buy the DLC.

You mean, no future DLC for those who did not backed the game.

If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 27/03/2015 - 11:58

Rak wrote:
I'd never received the usual kickstarter update emails which seemed odd come to think of it,but makes sense if there were issues with their mail out.

I don't think anyone had problems receiving the Kickstarter update emails.
Trent said there were problems with the Humble Bundle mailout. Which is different than the KS mailout.

By the way, that's the meaning of a Sale. To lower the price of the game. Why must people cry over it?
Will you cry again when you see the game -75% in 3 years?
You decided to back the game back then, cause you loved the series and wanted to see it alive again.
And we're almost there. You also had access to the early versions of the game, 4 extra games (Carmageddon, Splat Pack, Carmageddon 2, Carmageddon TDR2000) and you'll get all the DLC for free,
While any others who bought it later will not have the DLC.
It's not like they took the money and fucked you over, like that guy with the dinosaur kickstarter.

Mad_Maxine's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 09/04/2015 - 19:42

I have to say it.
Backers and there whole.. DLC thing.. still Grinds on my nerves...

My Cars/Peds/Maps/Skins: http://demontailmods.webs.com
View the comic game from start to finish: http://imgur.com/a/diaO6

uoɯǝp ǝɥʇ ʞɔɐɥ ɐʞɐ - I am the Last Poster, the killer of topics. Fear me

Tonrac's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 09/04/2015 - 19:56

Could you explain your point of you more precisely, please?