You are here

Keyboard configuration lost on restart

Pages

ZaLiTHkA's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Keyboard configuration lost on restart
#1 Submitted: Wed, 18/02/2015 - 18:53

So.. I'm absolutely loving C:R right now, definitely the best way to spend an evening after a crappy day at work. D Career mode is amazing so far, it's got the same feel as Carma 2 but with absolutely gorgeous graphics.. I never thought running over grannies could ever be more fun that it already was.

However, I do have some bad news: since the beta update last week, my game keeps losing the key configuration.. Is anyone else experiencing this? Couldn't find anything in a forum search, but I have been known to miss things before. I haven't tried modifying the config files as I was previously instructed since the in-game key configuration menu now works. But it is somewhat annoying to have to go set my config each time I want to play.

As for the technical aspects, I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and my default user is part of the administrators group. If this isn't a common issue, any suggestions on what I can try to get around this?

[edit]: If you're also having this issue, see the posts here and here for a viable workaround.

Edited by: ZaLiTHkA on 20/02/2015 - 18:10
KakkaHousu's picture
Piledriver
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 18/02/2015 - 19:19

Same issue here. While not critical bug, but very annoying because I prefer classic Carmageddon controls and because game is still very prone to crash.

ZaLiTHkA's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 18/02/2015 - 20:08

Well, thanks for the confirmation.. I got a bit worried when I couldn't find any other posts about this. :)

Unfortunately for me it's not a case of simply preferring certain controls; as per my post on Steam, I'm a real world one-armed bandit, so I actually need to remap all my controls to the numpad in order to play the game.

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 13:48

Ouch. That is part of the reason why I embrace custom controls so much, including in any little games I make. Some people prefer alternate controls, others NEED them.

If the beta is anything like the pre-alpha, you can edit a .zad file (it's just a .zip file in disguise, so open it with 7-zip or winrar or winzip) that contains a configuration file with the controls. It's cumbersome, but they should at least stick this way.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

GoBBLeS's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 13:51

Yeah I've got that error myself. Very annoying as I just can't drive around with my left hand, and having to remap all keys every time (course the layout is weird), is very annoying....

:)

hazardic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 13:57

So just make like was already mentioned www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/26964
I did and it works fine, no more whinning from me

BubbaJoe's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 14:33

I submitted it as a feature request. Here's the response I got:

Quote:
We're sorry about this and understand how frustrating it must be to have to customise your key bindings each time. We are looking at it internally and it's something that should be fixed by the time we reach full release.

We hope this issue isn't preventing you from enjoying the game too much, and please be patient whilst we fix the other bugs and crash issues during Public Beta.

I'll close this ticket now, but please feel free to reopen it or start a new one with any further issues.

ZaLiTHkA's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 16:14

Espyo wrote:
If the beta is anything like the pre-alpha, you can edit a .zad file (it's just a .zip file in disguise, so open it with 7-zip or winrar or winzip) that contains a configuration file with the controls. It's cumbersome, but they should at least stick this way.

I imagine that will sort it out (until the next update at least).. A little while back I created a batch script that extracted the files, called a string-replace on specific lines and then pushed it back to the archive with 7zip. Not sure where it's gone though, but I'll definitely try that.

hazardic wrote:
So just make like was already mentioned www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/26964
I did and it works fine, no more whinning from me

Yup, same thread that I found linked from the Steam forums previously. :) I still have it bookmarked too..

BubbaJoe wrote:
I submitted it as a feature request. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for sharing that, good to hear the devs know about the issue.. I work as a software tester by day (among other things), so I can appreciate the value of recording bug reports.

Either way, I'd consider my query solved. (: I'm off to explore the rest of the forum for a while...

ZaLiTHkA's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 17:10

Espyo wrote:
It's cumbersome, but they should at least stick this way.

Well, just to follow up on this... I edited the control file and relaunched the game, now it shows the new keys I assigned in the menu instead of the originals, so it looks like this will work quite nicely until the UI can save back to the file correctly. :)

twisted's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 22:47

Hi guys!! Here is a work around that may help:

1. Go to the location where the game data is stored. Any easy way to do this is by following these steps:

a. In Steam select Library
b. Find Carmageddon: Reincarnation
c. Right click Carmageddon: Reincarnation
d. Select “Properties”
e. Select the “Local Files” tab
f. Select “Browse Local Files”

2. You should have a folder in there call “Data_Misc”. Open it.
3. Create a new folder called “custom_controls”
4. That’s it! Next time you relaunch the game and edit your keyboard key bindings it should now be saved next time you launch the game.

hazardic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 20/02/2015 - 05:53

Eow it sounds like magic (c). But how did you kniw that? I guess even devs are not aware about it cause therefore they will mention this solution

Pages

randomness