You are here

How to make it look uglier?

KakkaHousu's picture
Piledriver
PayPal Backer
How to make it look uglier?
#1 Submitted: Mon, 26/01/2015 - 16:52

I played Carma 2 on my W98, with software mode or D3D, can't remember which one. My newer computer doesn't support either of those so I must play in 3DFX mode but I don't like graphics. I set resolution to 640x480 but it wasn't blocky enough. Also, any way to turn off texture filtering if there is some?

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 27/01/2015 - 00:17

The idea is to get either software mode or d3d mode working then. Programs like DxWnd should help you (don't forget you need to launch CARMA2_HW.EXE with the -d3d parameter to enter d3d mode). Via the launcher it was possible to disable some effects like texture filtering IIRC, but if you do you also won't have ingame sounds...

Running the software mode can probably be achieved in the same way (I suppose?). The current cnc-ddraw dll crashes the game, too bad because some years ago it was possible to use it as well with CARMA2_SW.EXE... and then combine it with the experimental hires patch. Actually you can just give a shot anyway, maybe it's just on Win8 that it crashes and it works fine on Win7 if that's what you happen to have.

All this stuff is at RR2000, by the way. I should test again too, someday.

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Tue, 27/01/2015 - 10:27

Toshiba-3 wrote:
The idea is to get either software mode or d3d mode working then. Programs like DxWnd should help you (don't forget you need to launch CARMA2_HW.EXE with the -d3d parameter to enter d3d mode). Via the launcher it was possible to disable some effects like texture filtering IIRC, but if you do you also won't have ingame sounds...

Running the software mode can probably be achieved in the same way (I suppose?). The current cnc-ddraw dll crashes the game, too bad because some years ago it was possible to use it as well with CARMA2_SW.EXE... and then combine it with the experimental hires patch. Actually you can just give a shot anyway, maybe it's just on Win8 that it crashes and it works fine on Win7 if that's what you happen to have.

All this stuff is at RR2000, by the way. I should test again too, someday.

It sucks that there's still no cnc-ddraw mod for Carmageddon 2, it'd have been perfect when you can actually stretch the resolution instead of needing a Glide emulator to do so. I'm not a fan of games that almost always force resolution change to 640x480, particularly the Humongous Entertainment games after 1998 where the graphics files (.HE1) are notably replaced with ".(A)"

randomness