You are here

Max number of add-on cars?

Zero X. Diamond's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Max number of add-on cars?
#1 Submitted: Sat, 10/01/2015 - 21:33

Kind of just a general question, but does anybody know if there's a particular number of entries into OPPONENTS.TXT after which the game won't perform properly anymore? I'm using the GOG.com version with the experimental Windows patch with the Meld Pack and 50 additional add-on cars on top of it for a total of 120. I noticed that at one point my saved game became such that beating any race would crash the game with an error about something akin to "DAMAGE after Normal at 0x(whatever the hex address was)" with Abort, Retry, and Ignore as options; however, starting over from scratch I have had no problems yet. Also, at 130 the game would crash on start up. I'm wondering if this is directly connected to engine limitations or if I might be doing something else that's causing these issues.

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 12/01/2015 - 15:54

Maybe. Probably, even.
You could test by yourself. Just go back to the normal 40 opponents and add more by tens maybe until crashes start to occur. etc.
It happens with C2 and I think C1 at least hides cars from the bottom of the list when there's too many? (I seem to recall something along these lines)

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

randomness