You are here

Figuring out PIX rules for the cockpit image...

ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Figuring out PIX rules for the cockpit image...
#1 Submitted: Mon, 14/07/2014 - 13:27

I am trying to make a cockpit for the 1920x1080 carm95 version of Carmageddon, however it seems to crash when I try to load a race with a 1984x1128 pix cockpit...

I kind of need it to be that large, is it not possible?

If it's not, we'll just have to go without it at all...

Edited by: ManIkWeet on 20/07/2014 - 00:42
Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 14/07/2014 - 15:01

Don't know for sure. There's no real pix limit (so far) with Carma95 (last car I imported uses a 2048² texture) but things might be different when it comes to the cockpit image. Also keep in mind that it might also crash for other reasons (esp. transparency, rendering areas). Could you link to the pix you're willing to use?

Finally, keep in mind that the hires patch is really just for the experiment. We should complete it, or even approach some hacking differently.

Edited by: Toshiba-3 on Mon, 14/07/2014 - 15:02

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Mon, 14/07/2014 - 16:31

Toshiba-3 wrote:
Don't know for sure. There's no real pix limit (so far) with Carma95 (last car I imported uses a 2048² texture) but things might be different when it comes to the cockpit image. Also keep in mind that it might also crash for other reasons (esp. transparency, rendering areas). Could you link to the pix you're willing to use?

Finally, keep in mind that the hires patch is really just for the experiment. We should complete it, or even approach some hacking differently.

Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bzjw5fdgdmrwfjr/maxpix.zip

Interestingly, it crashes right after you load a new game and selected your character...
I got a working 800x800 PIX using the same method

The issue might be with some "reserved" resolution that is used for camera shake?

What other method of going to higher resolutions do you have in mind?
Scaling is horrible, but fast...

Edit:
Interestingly, I can use the hand frames... it supports the higher resolution that makes the cockpit image crash... Hands are drawn pretty much last though, so tacho meter etc isn't visible...

Edited by: ManIkWeet on Tue, 15/07/2014 - 21:47
Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 16/07/2014 - 09:23

That cockpit image you made could't work with C1. As I said, it crashes on unusual transparency. In this case, everything is transparent but some lines. Cockpits must always have a single area of transparency, preferably in the center, without any loose visible pixel in that area.

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 16/07/2014 - 15:40

I tried resizing the original cockpit to twice the resolution, using "nearest neighbor" so it wouldn't blend pixels...
The result was still a crash, also all the original cockpits have multiple transparent areas...
Is there some forum link where all the rules are explained in semi-detail?

Edit:
I decided to start out with a completely empty PIX at the desired resolution, it works...
Perhaps it matters how many VISIBLE pixels there are?

Edit2:
Here's a thing I never realized: color palettes... That might explain my weird issues... Have to mess with it tomorrow...

Edited by: ManIkWeet on Thu, 17/07/2014 - 00:35
ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Thu, 17/07/2014 - 22:36

I did some more testing, this time with the proper color palettes...
If I increase the resolution of the cockpit image, without stretching the old image and filling it with transparency it works...
If I fill the new resolution with black, it crashes...

Does that mean there's a limit on the amount of visible pixels in the cockpit? I really just want a resized original cockpit image... with a non-resized damage indicator

My test files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f1647z2rvlqla8q/tests.zip
or
https://mega.co.nz/#!yQsSkZZI!dJx-LRHXL6ug8j-IPNodsbL0r8BlUld3Z48xq7v9IJ0

Note: I am a complete noob with Carmageddon modding, bear with me...

Bonus: Awesome looks in 1080p, notice the normal spark particles:
http://imgur.com/gWL9lH4,xAXNaza,LTsHuKY,C2qsOTC,s3mnEkA,SDHsdpi,phUp5MQ,g4hB9XA

Errol's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 18/07/2014 - 11:59

Black, if palette entry 0, is treated as transparent by the game. Try filling the new resolution with a different colour?

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Making C:R mods happen since '14!

ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 18/07/2014 - 20:50

I filled it with a green color, it crashes so I am really leaning towards the possibility that the amount of visible pixels in a single image is limited in the GUI/Cockpit

I can have the original image centered in the 1984x1128 with all around being transparent just fine...

Moar testing... (try to find the limit)

(clicky image)

Edited by: ManIkWeet on Fri, 18/07/2014 - 20:50
Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 19/07/2014 - 10:55

Hah, that image made me lose it!

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

ManIkWeet's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 19/07/2014 - 22:20

Okay so there's definately not a hard limit, I can get a 782x782 square working anywhere on the cockpit, with the remaining being transparent.

If I divide that up in 16 squares, it no longer works...

A 783x783 square loads but doesn't work

(Clicky image, the cockpit texture is a 783x783 yellow square originally...)

randomness