You are here

My laptop died :)

Pages

Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
My laptop died :)
#1 Submitted: Sat, 03/05/2014 - 10:53

While trying to get C:R running better again, after Countryslide decided to only run at 2 fps or lower suddenly, I fucked up my laptop. Since it was my only good pc, I could not wait around 'till Asus would repair it (despite spilling Red Bull in it about a year ago, I tried it the official way to get the free warranty repair).

SO, I used it as an excuse to buy a new gaming system. I was planning to do that this summer, but I couldn't wait now that my trusty Asus had died. So I looked around and decided to buy a new custom built gaming notebook. And after a week without a decent pc, it just arrived yesterday!

XNB Xnotebooks Titan HW17

• Nvidia GeForce GTX870M 6.0 GB GDDR5
  • combined with Intel HD4600 Optimus integrated graphics
  • 17.3" FullHD AUO B173HW01 V4 glossy high contrast with 90% color reproduction
  • Mobile Intel HM87 Express chipset
  • Intel Core i7-4712MQ Quad (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz) 6 MB cache - Haswell 22 nm
  • 16 GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x8)
  • 500 GB Samsung 840 SSD
  • 500 GB Hybrid (HDD/SSD) Sata-600, 64 MB cache, 8 GB SSD
  • Blu-Ray Combo drive
  • Intel WiFi AC7260 Dual Band, Bluetooth up to 4.0, Wireless Display
  • Sound Blaster X-FI MB3 with 7.1 output support
  • ONKYO speakers + subwoofer, microphone
  • Illuminated multi-color keyboard
  • HDMI HDCP, Displayport 1.2 (+ mini)
  • Card reader, SP/DIF, USB3.0, eSATA, FHD webcam
  • Freeze highest grade cooling paste
  • 8 cells 14.8V ~ 5200 mAh 76.96 Wh Li-ION battery
  • Windows 8.1 Pro

Now I can finally play Carmageddon Reincarnation decently on MAX graphics settings! Which was the only reason why I would buy a new gaming system anyway. The Asus was good enough for some gaming, photoshop and other stuff. But being a massive Carma fan, I really wanted to be able to get the most out of the game!

I have my reasons for not buying a desktop, but I can hook this system up to a massive Philips HDTV to play with a controller, or to a LG FHD screen with gaming mouse and keyboard to get that desktoppy feel.

Buying this system only slightly ruined me, I will have to live on water and bread for the rest of the year.

NO! BAD BUNNY! DON'T bite my cables!

Carmageddon UNlimited Team For all your wrecking needs!
"All prey keep left. Fellow raptors keep up."
TDR2000 MAX-Pack A community add-on pack.

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 03/05/2014 - 11:01

I feel for you but having to rush out and like spend all your saved money on a game oh god, like me i had to spend money on a gaming machine before the game actually even got released but doing so allows me to play all the top games and i dont have to worry about 2fps drops in frames unless the game is just utter well you know what lol.

Glad you got your game and machine up and running, but dang i hope you sort your self out with that food for a while, While you recover from spending all your hard earned cash on that laptop.

Anyways no complaints that you brought a laptop just worry when it heats up far too much for you to use on your lap lol or even to burn a whole in that nice table of yours lol.

Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 03/05/2014 - 11:06

The ruining part was a joke ;) And it runs quite cool at around 50°C while gaming. XNB is one of the best custom notebook companies in the BENELUX. Also, this is more of a tabletop notebook, I won't use it on my lap. It's fully insured too.

*Did some stress testing, highest overall (GPU) temperature reached was 69°C with the Unengine Heaven benchmark on Extreme setting. The outside of the casing stays amazingly cool ...

Edited by: Deamon on Sat, 03/05/2014 - 14:13

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sun, 04/05/2014 - 16:28

That's basically the same laptop as what I've got, only with 6 months newer components, mine has the geforce GTX780m and i7 4700mq in the same chassis. Those Clevo base laptops are seriously great machines, they run very cool and aren't at all noisy considering the kit the have in them. Even has decent battery life even when putting it through its paces. It's a beast, handles pretty much everything you throw at it on ultra settings, barring the couple of top end games which need a couple of Titans to run well on the highest settings. Another great thing about it is you run a monitor off the HDMI and another off the Display Port while still using the laptops screen, allowing for some triple screen action.

It's definitely not something to have straight on your lap though as you need the vents on the bottom clear, but if you get yourself a decent laptop cooling "mat" it's plenty usable on your lap. I've got a Targus one and it works a treat: my lap doesn't get hot, the air vents are clear and if I want to make doubly sure it's not getting too hot in prolonged gaming sessions I plug the mats USB cable into the machine and built in fans kick in for that extra cooling power.

Great choice on buying that, dude, hope it serves you well! Have you made the keyboard go into disco mode yet?

Edited by: Trent on Sun, 04/05/2014 - 16:34

Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 04/05/2014 - 22:50

Thanks! Great to hear I made a good choice :) Only downside I noticed was when I hooked it up to my tv on battery power, to play C:R. It really slowed the game down, but as soon as I plugged it in, it went back to normal performance.

But yeah, beast is a good name for it.. I have never had a system before that could run games this well, closest I got to this was with my last desktop which had a GeForce 8800 GTX, and that was a long time ago. Only had laptops since then, but nothing like this. I probably won't ever use this on my lap, I only buy laptops because I like my pc somewhere near my tv, and I don't have a desk in my living room any more. Still, I'm looking into a new laptop cooler since my previous one (Cooler Master Notepal U2) is a bit too small now..

The back-light keyboard is awesome, big plus since I don't need extra light any more to see my keys. Disco mode is cool, but it gets annoying real fast. Too bad the "Breathe" effect doesn't really seem to do anything, i thought it was going to be the only usable effect, if it could make the lights dim automatically..

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Mon, 05/05/2014 - 07:50

Regardless of what was mentioned; never have any soda next to electronics again, it'll only make them malfunction like when my oldest brother partied with his buddies and made the remote control for our Boxee defective.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 05/05/2014 - 11:06

Yeah by default Windows sets a low powered mode when on battery, but I'm fairly sure you can set it to be in high performance mode while on battery, I think it's in the power settings though you might need to change something in the NVidia control panel too. Obviously this will use the battery up quicker.

Before this I had a Clevo X7200 chassis laptop which really was a monster. It had a desktop i7 CPU in it and two GeForce 460m graphics cards. It was huge, heavy and loud, really a desktop-replacement but it ran everything like a charm for a few years (with the exception of games which had fucked up SLI support). It was very cumbersome to lug around and not particularly comfortable to use but the laptop was seriously impressive. When it came time to upgrade I knew getting another Clevo was the only way to go, MSI and Alienware are the only two big brands which have competitively spec'd machines but they're a lot more expensive. Compared to my old machine this is as light as a feather haha.

I totally agree about the lighting effects, they're a funky gimmick but quite annoying to actually use. I've got mine set to red, green and blue across the three zones which I quite like.

Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 06/05/2014 - 02:38

I'll just hook it up to the power then :p

SLI would be awesome in a laptop, don't know if it is possible in this version.. Did see it somewhere on the XNB site I think. I do know the processor is upgradable, and I'll probably add some RAM in a year or so. I considered Alienware but like you said, I got waay more power for my money by going with Clevo/XNB, and at least I can upgrade this thing. And I would have to order that from the UK since Alienware doesn't have a distributor in the Benelux.

Well, I pre-ordered Watch_Dogs on Steam, that will be the a pretty good test for this notebook i guess ...

CoffeyCup's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 06/05/2014 - 03:04

Breakin'Benny wrote:
Regardless of what was mentioned; never have any soda next to electronics again, it'll only make them malfunction

Awwwww, ok Dad. We promise.

Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 06/05/2014 - 03:28

CoffeyCup wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:
Regardless of what was mentioned; never have any soda next to electronics again, it'll only make them malfunction

Actually that is some good advice, missed your post earlier.. I have spilled Red Bull or other sticky drinks in two keyboards before, another gaming keyboard and in my previous laptop and the one before that ... I don't know why, I drink other beverages too, but it is mostly Red Bull that gets spilled. Thankfully I have stopped drinking that stuff, and I am keeping any beverages out of spilling reach of this machine, for as long as I can keep myself to that promise :p

Cleaning the hardware out doesn't help, even removing the keys and fully cleaning it, it always keeps sticking!

Edited by: Deamon on Tue, 06/05/2014 - 03:29

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Tue, 06/05/2014 - 06:30

CoffeyCup wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:

Stuff like that cost money, but certainly even more to repair anything... Maybe a bottle of tap water and stretching for it sloooowly, or else you'll be electrocuted and...

Edited by: Breakin'Benny on Tue, 06/05/2014 - 06:30

Pages