*Updated 19/02/15 for Beta release*
A quick tutorial for those that wish to change their controls.
Rebindable keys are semi-implemented in the Beta but currently don't save properly after exiting the game. The following method still works for saving your personal key map.
This process will likely need to be done after each update/patch. I would advise keeping a copy of the relevant Controls_xxxx_Default.txt file to make it easier to change after a patch.
- Go to the ZAD folder in your Carmageddon Reincarnation root folder. *Beginner's Tip* right click on the game in your steam list, select 'properties' then select the 'local files' tab and click on 'browse local files' - this will take you to the root folder for C:R
- Open the scripts.zad file with an archive program of your choice. For this guide I will be referring to WinRAR as that's what I use.
- Navigate to Data_Core/Setup/ in the archive
- Open the Controls_PC_Keyboard_Default.txt file
- Change the keys you wish to use for the required control. For example if you wish to have the Insert button as recover, as per classic Carmageddon, add 'PC_Insert' under the header [Recover]. You can either replace the default control that is already there or simply add it as well as the default control.
- Once finished, save the file and confirm that you wish to update it in the archive when WinRAR asks you to
*UNTESTED* Since Beta release there are now separate setup .txt files for controllers, keyboard and mouse. If you wish to change any mouse controls or controller controls I assume the same process can be applied to those files.
IMPORTANT - Keys can be assigned multiple times for many actions.
I personally changed accelerate, brake, turn left and right to the numpad buttons ala Carma 1 but I forgot to change their default assignment. This led to the camera view changing everytime I wanted to turn the car.. You have been warned!