You are here

[REL][Car] C1 Cars - Update: The Big Stability Update!

Pages

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
[REL][Car] C1 Cars - Update: The Big Stability Update!
#1 Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 17:10

[1st July 2014] THE BIG FIX UPDATE

Here it is! The cars should be 95% more stable and the Merciless Cullwing actually has weight to it now. Grab it from here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/Cars/veh_C1Cars.zad (you may have to right click and save as)

I say 95% more stable because I did encounter one crash during gameplay. Only one and it seemed fairly random. The actual crashes on large impacts, though, are solved. I've done some heavy testing which involved mega-turbo and pelvic thrusts to slam into shit at 700mph with no crashes. Again, big thanks to Errol for helping me figure out what was happening.

[25th June 2014] NEW RELEASE: 18 Cars which work with the latest update!

Get it here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/Cars/veh_C1Cars.zad

They all should now work in the new version of the game. The game still crashes under heavy collisions but it no longer crashes when the race ends. Cars in this pack include:
Annihilator
Bear
Cleaver
Countslash
Eagle
Electric Blue
F666
Fraud Broko
Grunge Buster
Hawk
Merciless Cullwing
Plow
Road Bratt
Stiff Shifter
Street Eater
Tashita
Twister
Volkswerker

Enjoy :)

Previous Updates

Spoiler:
19th June WARNING: THE LATEST UPDATE HAS BROKEN THE C1 CARS. THEY WILL NOT WORK SO DON'T USE THEM IN THE LATEST VERSION UNTIL I HAVE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!

23rd May Update: 8 cars released!

And here's the promised release before the weekend: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/veh_C1Cars.zad

It should work, I haven't had time to test the ZAD yet but I think I've got everything in there. If a texture is missing then grab the Levels package as that has every single C1 texture in it.

The list of cars are:
Eagle
Hawk
Plow
Electric Blue
Annihilator
Road Bratt
Streat Eater
Grunge Buster
Fraud Broko

Personally I find the Road Bratt to be awesome fun, it pops wheelies like nobodies business despite not having hotrod on it. Anyway, they're all WIP with the Hawk being the most complete. Enjoy and look forward to the next update with even more cars :)

Remember to delete the old hawk and veh_C1Cars.zad and use the latest version of CRAP.

22nd April Update: Crash Fix & Custom Damage Indicator!
The loading crash should be fixed now! The new version also includes a custom damage indicator! Please note that it still crashes when the race is completed, I have not figured out had to fix that yet, but at least you can play with the car now.

Download here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/Cars/veh_C1Hawk.rar

Previous Update: Hawk Download!

Download the updated version here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/Cars/veh_C1Hawk.rar

This version has proper C1 style wheels, complete with my hack for de-rimmed and deflated tyres, along with modified SystemDamage.xml so it can actually get wasted and slightly modified setup.lol to adjust it's performance settings. The performance settings are just a guess right now as it's a lot more involved than C1 car setup, you can't just set the max speed and such, you have to tune torque curves and everything which go completely over my head.

Instructions
If you have downloaded the old version, you MUST delete veh_anniecar.zad from your ZAD folder, this is IMPORTANT!!
Once you have downloaded the RAR, open it up and extract the veg_C1Hawk.zad file to your ZAD folder.
If you haven't already, download my C.R.A.P. tool from here:http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/26903
Use C.R.A.P. to add the C1Hawk to the Unlocked group and any of the difficulty groups you want it to appear as an opponent in. Click save and BAM, you have the C1 Hawk ready to play with.

Original Post

You can download the Hawk here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/Cars/veh_anniecar.zad

Just drop it in the ZAD folder and you're ready to go. It contains a modified VehicleGroups.lol so you can select the car straight away as well as have it appear as an opponent. It also has the CU:NT and APC unlocked to play as and as opponents too as a bonus.

Enjoy!

=============================================================
As some of you know I've been messing with trying to get the Hawk from Carmageddon 1 into Reincarnation. As luck has it, I've succeeded in getting it playable! It handles pretty much the same as the Eagle R right now.

Older video before the wheels were fixed

As you'll notice it's not using the wheels from Carmageddon 1 but rather just using the Eagle's wheels from Reincarnation. This is because the wheels in Reincarnation have separate tire models and rim models, they also have the normal tire and 5 stages of deflation, so using the old wheels isn't really viable.

I also haven't figured out a way of putting text in for the car without having to edit that huge ass text_earlass.xml file.

I've asked Nobby if I'm allowed to release this mod, so when he gets back to me I'll post it for everyone to download :)

Edited by: Trent on 01/07/2014 - 10:56

Mr.Deviance's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 18:07

Nice stuff. Is this the ios or the android version of the car? I noticed that it has much higher res bodywork texture than it did in the original carmageddon game.
Also, what can you say about making the taillights work?
Did you actually edit the sawed blade to have it look so shiny?
And lastly, what's up with all that bumpmapping on the bodywork? Did you manually add it or what?
If I recall correctly, there wasn't any bumpmappig on it in the android and ios versions.

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 18:14

Very nice work man :)

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 18:30

Mr.Deviance wrote:
Nice stuff. Is this the ios or the android version of the car? I noticed that it has much higher res bodywork texture than it did in the original carmageddon game.
Also, what can you say about making the taillights work?
Did you actually edit the sawed blade to have it look so shiny?
And lastly, what's up with all that bumpmapping on the bodywork? Did you manually add it or what?
If I recall correctly, there wasn't any bumpmappig on it in the android and ios versions.

Yes it's a port from the iOS version of Carmageddon 1 as that uses the same MDL and CNT formats as Reincarnation, however I had to manually hexedit the CNT file to add new NULL nodes for the wheels to work properly as well as converting the old wheel MODL nodes to NULL nodes and manually edited the transformation matrices for them. There was also lots of work involved figuring out how the various configuration files worked, creating a collision.cnt and opponent_collision.cnt and a few other things. I'm planning to write an article about my discoveries on the various aspects of configuring a car.

Lights are something I haven't investigated yet, there's some .light files which in the car folders which are binary and I'm not sure what data is in them yet.

I have increased the resolution of the textures and sharpened them up. I also desaturated them and adjusted the levels to create specular maps (or "the shiny") and also created normal maps (or "bump maps" though that's an entirely inaccurate term) from the them using NVidia's plugin for photoshop.

Mr.Deviance's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 18:41

I hope that in the future, we can actually import car models from carma 1, without actually having to go through so much stuff.
I am sure as hell not going to spend time in a hex editor to get a car from carma 1 into this game.
As for all the face lifting that you've done to the car, I like it a lot but I also can't wait to see the cars imported in their absolute vanilla state with absolutely no face lifting done to them.

From what I understand based on what you said, I guess that we will never be able to have the vanilla wheels of the carma 1 cars, unless somebody finds a way to split the old wheel models into various pieces and import each piece to it's rightful place in this game, in order to have both tires and rims.

What exactly is the normal tire that you talked about? And wow at the 5 deflation stages.
I'm pretty sure I've only seen tires either totally deflated or perfectly inflated.
Why would they need 5 different stages of that? Is that even working in the game right now?

Edited by: Mr.Deviance on Wed, 09/04/2014 - 18:41
AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 19:50

The 5 stages of deflation could just be the keyframes or stages in the deflate animation, I mean the tire doesn't just jump from perfectly inflated to deflated in one awkward cut it looks like it has an animation. I could be wrong though :)

Edited by: Bloodstability on Wed, 09/04/2014 - 19:51
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 19:51

Mr.Deviance wrote:
I hope that in the future, we can actually import car models from carma 1, without actually having to go through so much stuff.
I am sure as hell not going to spend time in a hex editor to get a car from carma 1 into this game.

When Stainless releases their tools it should be much simpler to do. Errol has also been working on making the CNT files easily editable in his model viewer tool. The issue currently is due to C1 having the wheel models are included in the model's hierarchy and parented directly to the car body. Wheels in C:R are entirely separate and are attached to nodes in the car's hierarchy. To complicate things the wheel nodes have to be positioned at 0, 0, 0 otherwise funky shit happens with the tyres not being on the wheel hubs, the tyres get offset by the same amount again. Another issue is that the wheel nodes need to be scaled and rotated correctly otherwise the left wheels are backwards and all the wheels are tiny. There are also physics properties to be set on nodes in the Structure.XML, the main properties define the node as the wheel, the point of steering, point of suspension and point of rotation. The point of steering can not also be the point of rotation.

To put it visually, this is how the C1 cars are structured:

CARBODY (root, model node)
|- WHLFL (model node, has position but no rotation)
|- WHLFR (model node, has position but no rotation)
|- WHLRL (model node, has position but no rotation)
|- WHLRR (model node, has position but no rotation)

But to work in Reincarnation the car needs to have the following hierarchy as a minimum

CARBODY (root, model node)
|- WHLFL (null node, has position) - Physics Properties: Point_Of_Suspension, Point_Of_Steering
|    \-Wheel_FL (null node, has rotation but no position) Physics Properties: Wheel, Point_Of_Rotation
|- WHLFR (model node, has position) - Physics Properties:  Point_Of_Suspension, Point_Of_Steering
|    \-Wheel_FR (null node, has rotation but no position) Physics Properties: Wheel, Point_Of_Rotation
|- WHLRL (model node, has position) - Physics Properties:  Point_Of_Suspension
|    \-Wheel_RL (null node, has rotation but no position) Physics Properties: Wheel, Point_Of_Rotation
|- WHLRR (model node, has position) - Physics Properties: Point_Of_Suspension
|    \-Wheel_RR (null node, has rotation but no position) Physics Properties: Wheel, Point_Of_Rotation

I'm leaving out the extra components such as the hawk's blade to keep the structure clear. When you know what to do it's pretty simple in reality, even with hex editing the CNT files manually. What took effort was figuring out what was needed to be done in the first place.

Quote:
As for all the face lifting that you've done to the car, I like it a lot but I also can't wait to see the cars imported in their absolute vanilla state with absolutely no face lifting done to them.

From what I understand based on what you said, I guess that we will never be able to have the vanilla wheels of the carma 1 cars, unless somebody finds a way to split the old wheel models into various pieces and import each piece to it's rightful place in this game, in order to have both tires and rims.

The textures NEED to be increased in resolution, 256x256 is far too small and the game doesn't currently use the full 256 resolution texture unless the game is set to use the highest quality textures, instead it uses a lower mip level which makes it lose almost all detail. The specular and normal maps are also required for correct lighting, though they can be pretty much blank (e.g. neutral Normal colour and faint solid specular colour).

As for the wheels, yeah, pretty much. Once we get model editing working we can creating proper tires and hubs using the old models but right now the best we could do is a hack which would make the the C1 wheel either be the tire or the hub, either choice would mean big issues being able to tell whether you've lost a tire or a wheel.

Quote:
What exactly is the normal tire that you talked about? And wow at the 5 deflation stages.
I'm pretty sure I've only seen tires either totally deflated or perfectly inflated.
Why would they need 5 different stages of that? Is that even working in the game right now?

Yes it's in the game, the 5 stages are so it morphs between them when a tire gets popped. It is working in the game now, it's just fairly quick. It also seems to depend on how the wheel gets popped, for instance if the Cleaver's spikes burst them they pretty much go straight to deflated, but if they pop from too my skidding or impacts then they deflate slower.

Edited by: Trent on Wed, 09/04/2014 - 19:52

SuperCoolNothing's picture
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 20:02

What kinda system have you got? The game runs so smooth in that youtube video.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 20:13

SuperCoolNothing wrote:
What kinda system have you got? The game runs so smooth in that youtube video.

It's a laptop with a Core i7 4700MQ, a 4gb GeForce 780m (almost equal to a desktop 770m card) and 16gb of RAM. While it is top end for a laptop, it's not exactly outlandish when compared to a desktop PC's spec.

SuperCoolNothing's picture
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 09/04/2014 - 20:28

Oh man, if that's what it takes to run the game at this stage then I am under equipped like hell. I got Core i5, GeForce 525m 2gb, 8gb ram laptop and the pre alpha runs at a rootin' tootin' 10 fps at best with everything as low as it allows to be.

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Thu, 10/04/2014 - 12:33

I just updated the first post, it now has a link to download the car! Enjoy :)

Pages

randomness