You are here

[Tool] GibbedTools - TDX Texture converter

Pages

HEX1GON's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 07:37

Glumok wrote:
Do you export them with or without mipmaps? Without them, the texture will be always at full resolution, therefore not blurry (but obviously without the advantages of mipmaps). On a side note, black Flat Cat looks sexy!

Ahhh that must be why then. I haven't really touched skins much other than converting to PNG then back to TDX without compression. I somewhat noticed with 'nilla skins they are not as blurry as your screenshots :|
Sorry to high jack your thread with the FC :<

dvine wrote:
Holy Shit! When did this happen? This should be the official fatcat! Not going to lie...

Hehe, thanks for that. I made the skin last night, got a little bored :P I might finish it up soon and release it :) took a while to get the damn gold right as the chrome on the inside of the fins and bumpers are "clouded" and look like shit on low reflection quality. Reason why I didn't release it at all at the current state.

FatCat wrote:
It's gorgeous, you should also have the wheels be golden too. :D

I was thinking about that too, Otis like his bling after all :P

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 08:56

Glumok wrote:
EDIT: I did some other tests (this time with no transparency at all, texture opacity is 100%), here are the results: (TEST01 are made using "CompressDXT5.bat" for generating Mipmaps. TEST02 are made using "CompressDXT5NoMip.bat" for no Mipmaps)

So, my guess is it could have something to do with generated mipmaps. What do you think?

It's not a mipmap problem. When compressing C:R's textures you should ALWAYS use mipmaps. Mipmaps are what allow the texture quality setting to work, so without them then everyone will always load the full resolution texture no matter what the settings, in this case the 4096 x 4096 resolution, which would kill the performance for people with load end cards. I left the no-mipmap bats for people who want to edit the C1 textures or make low res textures themselves.

The problem was because you somehow managed to mangle the texture. The top quarter of the texture looks empty but that's where the cockpit textures are. Removing the transparency from the original version and your version reveals this:

I copied the cockpit from the original texture onto your texture and it worked perfectly (excuse the Depth Of Field blur):

The fixed PNG is uploaded at: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/Eagle_paint_d_hex_fixed.png

When working with the car textures in Photoshop I would recommend the first thing you do the following steps:
1) go to Layer->Layer Mask->From Transparency
2) Go to the Channels tab
3) Make the new Mask channel visible, select it and hide the RGB channels
4) Select all and copy
5) Show the RGB channels again, hide the Mask channel and make sure the RGB channels are selected.
6) Paste in a new layer containing the Mask data and hide the layer.
7) Go back to the mask channel and fill it in white

Now you have a document set up where you can see the whole of the texture but still have the transparency information safe. I assume you already save your working document as a PSD but if you don't then I would recommend it. When you want to save it as a PNG again you simply copy the contents of the layer you made and paste it back into the mask channel. If you have multiple layers you will need to merge them down to the base layer and keep the masking information when PS asks you.

Edited by: Trent on Fri, 23/05/2014 - 08:56

FatCat's picture
I was in the War!
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 08:59

Woah, is that some type of carmageddon chat? I wanna come too! :D

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 09:16

Yeah it's #carmageddon on the slashnet irc server. There's a link in Errol's sig.

Glumok's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 10:17

Damn, Trent, you're right! Thanks for the Alpha Channel trick, very useful on this one. I would never have thought it could be related to that (well, I'm working everyday with Photoshop since only the past 15 years...). I've checked my PSD, I can't get what went wrong in the process, but will find!

EDIT: after a long battle I thought I was going to lose, I've finaly discovered what was wrong: it was a mix of Preferences in Photoshop and the way I made my PNG. I have to first flat the entire image, then switch it to layer, and only then add the transparency. If I add the transparency on my grouped layers, then switch it to layer and export, artifacts fucks all up my render. Pardon my French but, putain de bordel sa mère la truie !

Anyway:

Edited by: Glumok on Fri, 23/05/2014 - 18:04

Toshiba-3's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 20:03

Sa grosse putain d'mère... au moins maintenant ça marche :B

... and carmageddon add-ons at road reaction.

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Fri, 23/05/2014 - 23:34

Is it bad that I only understood the swears?
...Is it bad that I assumed that they were swears?

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

Glumok's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 24/05/2014 - 11:39

Well assumed, Espyo. :)

Eviron's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 24/05/2014 - 15:03

I've just started fiddling around with this great tool. The previous version didn't convert the png-files back to .tdx for me but with the newest version it's now working. :) Just did some simple stuff, I think there are other people around that will and already have done impressive things with it I won't provide due to my lack of patience with modding. ^^

Blue Caddy + C1 Artwork Billboard

Blue Eagle

Anyone know what causes the strange pink reflection here?

KakkaHousu's picture
Piledriver
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Sat, 24/05/2014 - 15:13

Anyone know what causes the strange pink reflection here?

Do you decompiled enviroment setup.lol with Trent´s decompiler? That causes me weird pink/purple reflections & shadows.

Edited by: KakkaHousu on Sat, 24/05/2014 - 15:13

Pages

randomness