You are here

Frame rate issues

Pages

DieselFan99's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Frame rate issues
#1 Submitted: Fri, 28/03/2014 - 11:01

Hi Guys.

So I just got Carmageddon: Reincarnation on Steam Early Access and overall I think it's really great so far but there is one issue I'm having right now.

I start the game, pick a track, choose a car and then I start the race, and when the race starts the Frame rate starts dropping immediately and won't stop dropping during the race, there are some areas of the track where the Frame rate runs smooth but most areas have extreme Frame rate drops and it never seems to stop dropping.

Does anyone know how to fix this or is this another Pre-Alpha bug that needs to be fixed.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
GPU: Nivida GeForce GT 740M
Memory: 4.00 GB RAM
Current resolution: 1366 X 768, 60Hz
Driver version: 326.60

Edited by: DieselFan99 on 29/03/2014 - 08:04
Nisei's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 28/03/2014 - 11:52

Yeah, frame rate is very low for me too.
I'm running Fraps to check the framerate during gameplay and it often drops below 30fps.
I've got all graphics options turned to either low or off (No AA).

Core i7 3820 3.6GHz
GeForce 560 Ti
1920x1080

wacko's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 28/03/2014 - 17:28

i7 4770k 16gb ram 770gtx 1920x1080 same issue

Darian's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Fri, 28/03/2014 - 21:46

I'm having huge performance losses when choosing higher Image Quality.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8CPUs)
GPU: Geforce GTX 570 (1,280 MB VRAM)
Memory: 4048 MB RAM

I'm getting
~45 FPS at low Image Quality
~25 FPS at high Image Quality
<1 FPS at very high Image Quality

Norkee's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 00:42

noticed low frame rates for me as well. not to worried about it as it is an alpha. i am almost relieved to see other people experiencing it so I know its prob not my hardware. havent ran fraps so not too sure exactly what it dropped to.

amd quad core 3.2 ghz
raedon hd6850
8 gb ram

Travvy87's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 02:23

Just thought i'd chime in here.

I'm running i7-930 O/C to 4.5Ghz
12GB RAM
1920x1200
2 x GTX670 in SLI (2GB VRAM each) - however it is only using about 85% (about 700MHz out of a max of 1050MHz) of one card, the other card has 0% usage.
Framerate averages between 10-15 when crashing/other cars on the screen - game is still playable however.
When no other cars or not crashing it averages about 30fps.

All possible settings that can be changed have been changed to max settings with AA on and V Sync on as well.

Rippthrough's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 09:57

I think that CPU is going to seriously struggle no matter what OP, turn everything to low, go to your nvidia control panel and set the mipmap detail to high performance for Carma, and maybe try enabling the z-level culling in the config file, but I think you're going to struggle a bit even when it's had some performance passes.

DieselFan99's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 13:23

Rippthrough wrote:
I think that CPU is going to seriously struggle no matter what OP, turn everything to low, go to your nvidia control panel and set the mipmap detail to high performance for Carma, and maybe try enabling the z-level culling in the config file, but I think you're going to struggle a bit even when it's had some performance passes.

I already did set the mipmap detail to high peformance and set everything to low, and unfortunately, only little improvement in the Frame rate was made. :(

Edited by: DieselFan99 on Sat, 29/03/2014 - 13:23
Mad Max RW's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 14:02

You absolutely need a GPU with 4GB of VRAM and at least 8GB of RAM to have any hope of running the game comfortably in its pre-alpha state. I suggest waiting until they optimize for lower end hardware or start upgrading parts. Register at http://www.newegg.com/ and keep an eye on daily sales.

To DieselFan99, replace your CPU. It's your worst bottleneck and the most expensive to replace. You can install the newest graphics cards and it will do little to help. Double your RAM as well. Then you'll be in good shape.

Edited by: Mad Max RW on Sat, 29/03/2014 - 14:02
DoktorMandrake's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 22:02

Mad Max RW wrote:
You absolutely need a GPU with 4GB of VRAM and at least 8GB of RAM to have any hope of running the game comfortably in its pre-alpha state. I suggest waiting until they optimize for lower end hardware or start upgrading parts. Register at http://www.newegg.com/ and keep an eye on daily sales.

To DieselFan99, replace your CPU. It's your worst bottleneck and the most expensive to replace. You can install the newest graphics cards and it will do little to help. Double your RAM as well. Then you'll be in good shape.

My gpu is running 2GB VRAM and I've got 8gb ram and dual core i5 3.20ghz and I'd say its plenty playable for me, not great but certainly playable speeds

I'm not focusing too much on FPS at the moment, I've turned everything down to lowest except for Image Quality which I have set to low, because very low is just too much imo :P

But yeah, Stainless already know they are FPS problems so I'm gonna focus on finding bugs instead, cus they are loads I'm sure you'd agree ^^

Travvy87's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 29/03/2014 - 22:02

Mad Max RW wrote:

I have a feeling that DieselFan99 is running a laptop, so sadly a CPU upgrade and GPU upgrade isn't feasible, I dare say he'll have to wait till the game has more optimisation.

Pages

randomness