You are here

Lets kick off modding! :D

Pages

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 21/02/2015 - 10:00

Didn't want to create a new thread.
I recently thought i throw myself into modding (on my free time), but i got really overwhelmed with all the new info i had to absorb.
I created an accessory for my planned car, and i left it there.
The greatest issue was that i couldn't know how to continue.
This community was helpful, they even volunteered to help me in a chat room, a help i didn't use.

Would it be too much to ask for someone to make a Video Tutorial where you create cars for Carma? Could be a video that you'd create a car that you had already planned, from scratch (so you won't have to do extra work. Editing the video is enough headache). You know, with stuff like : what you need to focus on, what you need to be extra cautious with, how to create models that are generally carmageddon-friendly (razorblades, spikes, etc. ).

I Know i'm asking much, so if anyone knows already some car-creating tutorials for other games, please post them.
Once the Gold version sets in, someone could give us info with what to be careful with. That would be great help.

AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Sat, 21/02/2015 - 11:02

I will probably end up making a few video tutorials on how to construct a vehicle and a general overview of the pitfalls that I've encountered so far, I don't know how in depth I'll be going since many of the aspects are just extra layers of detail anyone could do with enough knowledge of the basics. I however am waiting for the final game as well as buying a better PC. I'm sure someone will beat me to it when it comes to making tutorials!

PS : keep in mind that setting up cars right now largely depends on your software of choice, seeing as Trent is focusing on his 3dsmax script, I would imagine it would make things quite a bit more simplified if you could built and set up your car without leaving max. Once the official tools are released I would imagine it will l support the basic file formats so you can come from any of the common 3D applications and set up a car that way which will be a little bit easier :)

Edited by: Bloodstability on Sat, 21/02/2015 - 11:05
Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 21/02/2015 - 17:43

Thank you very much for having the will to help with the tutorials!
Of course i can wait, and for good reason, since anyone would hate to have his models/mods be semi-useless on the final build.

But one question. We'll have official Stainless Tools released for making maps, cars, peds and powerups? I thought this was cancelled! that's great news! Hope they release them! :D

AlexTSK's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Sat, 21/02/2015 - 18:26

Epitaph wrote:
Thank you very much for having the will to help with the tutorials!
Of course i can wait, and for good reason, since anyone would hate to have his models/mods be semi-useless on the final build.

But one question. We'll have official Stainless Tools released for making maps, cars, peds and powerups? I thought this was cancelled! that's great news! Hope they release them! :D

The tools, or rather tool that Stainless are using is used to set up and configure assets for Reincarnation, not build. Modeling/Texturing/Rigging/Skinning the assets will still have to be done in an external application :)

CzechDeath's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 26/02/2015 - 14:01

Mmm I wonder If I make custom skin for car, if it will be only avalible in carmodgeddon... and if so it could be nice to have carmodgeddon with MP...

because not every mode is just new content sometimes it is "fixed" content... or adjusted to better appeal... like say darker blood... or removing brake shadow from the brake dish.... or sumethin'

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 26/02/2015 - 15:16

In the full game all modded content will only (officially) work in CarMODgeddon but they do plan on having multiplayer support in CarMODgeddon.

I put "officially" in brackets because there will certainly be ways of modding the vanilla game but that will obviously lock multiplayer, screw stats and generally mess with things.

hazardic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 20/06/2015 - 09:08

I have some questions to people who already aware of some internals of CR - Trent, Mad Max, Errol and others:
- where can i find a string for a name of car in the garage to edit? In text.xml in Text.zad there is no any, and in vehicle_setup.cfg or setup.lol too;
- which setting in Car_stats.xml is responsible for driver ejection during collisions? For instance we don't see any ejected cop or max/anna during collisions - i guess that's because there is a value to turn it on/off or the model of the driver in cop cars is absent at all?

Mad Mike's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 20/06/2015 - 12:27

Quote:
I have some questions to people who already aware of some internals of CR - Trent, Mad Max, Errol and others:
- where can i find a string for a name of car in the garage to edit? In text.xml in Text.zad there is no any, and in vehicle_setup.cfg or setup.lol too;
- which setting in Car_stats.xml is responsible for driver ejection during collisions? For instance we don't see any ejected cop or max/anna during collisions - i guess that's because there is a value to turn it on/off or the model of the driver in cop cars is absent at all?

1] All Text entries for the UI are contained the aforementioned text.xml in text.zad. The cars & drivers are quite far down, use Ctrl+F to find them.

• Skins & Wheel entries begin with "FE_CAR_"
  • Car name entries begin with "FE_VEHICLE_"
  • Driver entries begin with "FE_CAR_"
  • Driver bio entries begin with "UI_FE_CHARACTER_BIO_"

2] As for controlling driver ejection, car_stats.xml has nothing to do with it. You're looking for the following command:

[disable_ejection]

inside the vehicle_setup.cfg for each car, which stops the driver from being ejected. It is usually listed after the default driver model declaration

EDIT: corrected vehicle name declaration

Edited by: Mad Mike on Sat, 20/06/2015 - 12:34

One man... Alone... Wrecking opponents in the Automobile he loves
Twitter Manifestation, Mods for Max Damage

hazardic's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 20/06/2015 - 13:15

wow thanks for the reply! very valuable information for me, because somehow i missed car name entry, beginning with FE_Vehicle - seems my xml editor searches only strings but not the whole document
and [disable_ejection] seems working, driver was't ejecting during my tests. didn't find it in any existing vehicle_setup though, even apc and subpressor - how did you know it?
naah, plow seems has it

Edited by: hazardic on Sat, 20/06/2015 - 13:24

Pages

randomness