You are here

Lets kick off modding! :D

Pages

matt's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 18:21

Bandit wrote:
What did you use to open the texture format TDX?

If you have something to open / replace the texture, it is already possible to do a lot of mods

If you've got a particular file in mind let me know and I'll give it a try at conversion and send you an archive over with them.

I've updated my post above a little, extra download now I've cracked what I was initially trying to achieve.

Edited by: matt on Sat, 15/03/2014 - 18:37
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 18:52

It seems Gibbed Tools, which is used for decompressing/recompressing TDX files for Magic The Gathering, works with some of C:R's TDX files but not all. For example I've managed to convert the Eagle's red_d.tdx to PNG but not more useful textures like Eagle_paint_d.tdx, that causes the tool to throw an exception, no doubt Stainless have updated the TDX file format for C:R. I'll keep investigating.

matt's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 19:09

If you're going down that route you could also try DOTP tool WADedit which does various pack/unpacking, but has the same shortfalls: http://rr2000.toshiba-3.com/pc-files#rc Although Gibbed does look like it does dxt5 compression with switches so at least it could shrink the files too, wouldn't be straight raw dumps back.

Edited by: matt on Sat, 15/03/2014 - 19:11
Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 19:26

The problem seems to be Gibbed Tools only supports a max of 2048 x 2048, I've hacked the source around and got it converting the Eagle_paint_d.tdx properly, so I'll try editing it and recompiling it. If it works I'll zip up the modified version and upload it for everyone.

Edit: It works for Diffuse maps (textures with an _d suffix) and Specular maps (textures with an _s suffix) but not Normal maps (_n) as they use a different compression format as DXT doesn't play well with normal maps.

(that was meant to be a cock, which wasn't quite positioned where I thought.)

Edit2: Here's the modified Gibbed Tools: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlm6amf5r5mi7aj/GibbedTools.rar
They're command line tools but you can convert TDX to PNG by dragging the file over Gibbed.Duels.TdxConvert.exe, while to compile you need to run: Gibbed.Duels.TdxConvert.exe --d5 YourImageGoesHere.png

Enjoy.

Edited by: Trent on Sat, 15/03/2014 - 19:48

Bandit's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 20:47

Thanks guys, I've tried to replace the temporary texture on the snow \ asphalt \ ice texture.

matt's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 20:58

Trent wrote:
Enjoy.

Awesome, Trent :)

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 20:43

No prob guys. On the subject of sorting out the normal maps, they seem to use ATI2/BC5_UNORM encoding. I'm still looking for a good reference to help me implement support for it to the tool.

Edit: well I've found a reference for how the pixel data is stored in BC5_UNORM, basically it's storing 4x4 pixel blocks. Each block is split into two components, red and green, of two 1 byte colour values followed by 16 3bit indices which referring to which of those 8 colour values. Yes, 8 colours, but it only stores the minimum & maximum colour values and uses linear interpolation to reconstruct the other 6. When the pixels are decoded the blue component is easily calculated from the red & green components as the resulting normal has to have a length of 1. Hopefully I can use this to add support for the normal maps to the tool.

Edited by: Trent on Sat, 15/03/2014 - 21:58

suicidal_banana's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 22:22

Great info guys, keep up the modding spirit :D

Im putting together a little unofficial powerup installer, or trying too anyway.

Ooooh, hard nipples. Noooo.... :( *limp nipples* Hmmm, vanilla nipples!

matt's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 23:00

Last one for the evening for me I think - a full Red Max Is Back Modification. Pretty lightweight stuff, but a nod to the past. Download with suitably rushed and vague instructions here. Errors and omissions excepted - give me a shout for any corrections.

Includes replacement:
- splash screen
- profile pic
- loadscreen background
- model texture

I used it as a test for your modified Gib tools instead of mine Trent, nice work sir, no complaints at all!

And to repeat what I said on the forum about Red Max: "On a side note, I know nobby has mentioned previously that Max should have never been skin-tone red, and that it was a printing artifact stemming from a budget restriction, which got rolled up into the lore until he set it straight. But, fuck it, we have history with Red Max, so make your all call while we're still playing 'classic carma' mode. No disprect, sir nobbert of nobbingham!"

Edited by: matt on Sat, 15/03/2014 - 23:01
shane's picture
Community Manager
Stainless
Submitted: Sat, 15/03/2014 - 23:11

Good stuff guys! Didn't think it would take too long before you'd start modding! Looks like your getting down and dirty :p

Pages

randomness